First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rob,

When installing new plugs, I use a piece of fuel hose about 12 inches long...Flexible and prevents the dreaded crossthred event. I do this on easy to reach plugs as well as hard to get to spark plugs. Just slip the hose over the insulator and install until you need a tool to "snug" the plug..

Best,
Phil
That is an excellent suggestion - I will remember that next time I need to replace the plugs- I really didn't NEED to replace them (I'm at a bit over 40k) but I had them and I really wanted to see if I had the dreaded "rusty plugs" syndrome (I didn't) - Since I had them and had already removed them, I figured why not replace them. They do look like they get abused pretty heavily....

Now if I could just understand why the Innova scan tool kept returning a bogus/old code...... Glad I had Forscan.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
After getting things corrected and clearing codes, did you clear Kam? When an issue pops up and gets resolved you have to do that. Also it may be beneficial to do the cam crank variation learn(might be named something else)
I'm not sure what this is - how do you do that? The "service engine soon" alert is still in Fordpass....

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
After fixing an issue caused flashing to a different tune... I used three different tools to confirm it was fixed after a drive cycle. I am a bit of a spaz and CELs for crank sensors on a new truck sort of freak me out. LMS box, my old OBD2, and FORScan.

One of them picked up a bunch of transfer case codes. I guess they were right about no input from it.... I never had one. None of the others saw that weird crap. So far no issues from the nonexistent part of the truck - last I checked, one had not suddenly appeared broken.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I'm not sure what this is - how do you do that? The "service engine soon" alert is still in Fordpass....
Keep alive memory; the capacitor(s?) in the ecm that store memory tables if you need to change the battery etc. Tuners can do it. I think FORScan can but it calls it something besides KAM, or you can take the negative terminal off the battery and step on the brake for a bit to dump the power out of the caps in the computer.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
For U0422 is a generic code and it should have a sub code with it like :00, but I am guessing the Tire Size change did not write correctly when it was done.
I have not messed with that setting, but what I have read it's in the BCM (easy Mode)
I think if you were to look at the AS-Built side of it, it will be flagged in there.

I do not know which Hex Code or Codes get altered with the (easy mode)

The Sub Code :00 or whatever it is, will pinpoint down some.

OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For U0422 is a generic code and it should have a sub code with it like :00, but I am guessing the Tire Size change did not write correctly when it was done.
I have not messed with that setting, but what I have read it's in the BCM (easy Mode)
I think if you were to look at the AS-Built side of it, it will be flagged in there.

I do not know which Hex Code or Codes get altered with the (easy mode)

The Sub Code :00 or whatever it is, will pinpoint down some.
The U4022 is "normal" - at least as far as I can tell. It was discussed quite some time ago, and anyone who had used Forscan to adjust the tire size to fix the speedo got it. It doesn't trigger the CEL, or have any adverse effects. That one I'm not worried about.

I still don't understand why my Innova kept giving the bogus code - even after I cleared all codes with Forscan, the Innova still returned the bogus code. I even double checked it AFTER I got the bogus code with the Innova - maybe @Frenchy is right - maybe if I clear the KAM (I will look in FORScan for this) that code will disappear from the Innova. I'd also like to be able to remove the alerts from Fordpass too - I was hoping they would disappear once I fixed them, but they are still there. Maybe they will drop off in time.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Scan tools vary with functionality, some will only clear the light, that generated the code.
Now P0354 is a upper-level code that triggered a (FMEM) Failure Mode Effects Mgmt
Basically, the Injector was disabled when the code triggered, to save the CAT
Even though you cleared the code, the code will hold in memory until the PCM completes a misfire monitor cycle and a catalyst drive cycle.
If you were to perform a PCM self-test, the messages might stop the messages on the APP or just drive it a few days and they should stop.

Do not freak out, the PCM self-test will raise RPM and cooling fan speed, while in test.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
The U4022 is "normal" - at least as far as I can tell. It was discussed quite some time ago, and anyone who had used Forscan to adjust the tire size to fix the speedo got it. It doesn't trigger the CEL, or have any adverse effects. That one I'm not worried about.

I still don't understand why my Innova kept giving the bogus code - even after I cleared all codes with Forscan, the Innova still returned the bogus code. I even double checked it AFTER I got the bogus code with the Innova - maybe @Frenchy is right - maybe if I clear the KAM (I will look in FORScan for this) that code will disappear from the Innova. I'd also like to be able to remove the alerts from Fordpass too - I was hoping they would disappear once I fixed them, but they are still there. Maybe they will drop off in time.
The cynic in me suggests that maybe the problem lies with the Innova? IIRC you used 3 readers and it was the only one to return that code?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician

Clearing KAM(Keep Alive Memory) is simply clearing the adaptive memory. In the Ford Service Manual they want this to be cleared regularly for tune ups and engine/transmission repairs. The cam/crank variation learn helps with misfires. Both should be available in ForScan

OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Clearing KAM(Keep Alive Memory) is simply clearing the adaptive memory. In the Ford Service Manual they want this to be cleared regularly for tune ups and engine/transmission repairs. The cam/crank variation learn helps with misfires. Both should be available in ForScan
I will try that later this week. I'm off to summit a mountain today!

OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The cynic in me suggests that maybe the problem lies with the Innova? IIRC you used 3 readers and it was the only one to return that code?
Only 2 readers (the Innova and Forscan). But that is kind of my thought as well. I've had it for a number of years and haven't used it a ton - if it has crapped out somehow I would be upset.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I got the "oil change is due soon" message on the dash, so I decided to do my usual oil change and tire rotation. No big deal - that was easy - then I remembered I bought new plugs a while back after all the talk of the rusted plug #1. I thought "replacing plugs should be easy, they are right on the top of the engine". Well, it didn't quite work out that way.....Plug #4 (the one in the back) is really hard to get off the coil pack due to something else being right over top of it - this is important later in the story....

First, I realized I didn't have a plug socket with the rubber insert to hold the plug. That made both removing and installing the new plugs extra hard due to the big hole they are in. I worked thru that with not too much issue. Got all the plugs replaced - It didn't take TOO long. Started up the truck and it didn't sound right - like one cylinder was out. I plugged in my Innova scan tool and sure enough, beside the flashing engine light on the dash, it told me there was a misfire on plug #4 (I had to go look up how they numbered the plugs to make sure I knew which plug it was). I remembered when I put the coil pack on it felt kind of weird. Toying with that for a bit and it went back on like I felt it should. Fire up the engine and it still seemed to be misfiring. Plug in the scan tool again and I get some other code. I'm really worried now - but I go look in the engine bay and then realize I did something stupid. When I was messing with the coil back on plug #4, I unplugged it so I could move it around better - I forgot to plug it back in. I was sure I had figured it out - I mean really, how hard can replacing spark plugs be? Anyway, started it up and it sounded normal - drove normal - no flashing engine on the dash. BUT - when I plugged in the Innova scan tool, it was still telling me the P0354 (I think that was it) code. I cleared it, recylced the ignition and it kept coming up. It just didn't seem like it was a good code - I went and got my laptop and my Forscan cable and hooked it up. It came up with some other werid codes, including the U0422 which I got when I changed the speedo for my new tires. But nothing related to the coil pack. I decided to clear all the codes and then recycle everything and restarted the truck. Did that, and then reconnected Forscan - no new codes (other than the U0422). Repeated the cycling of the engine a couple of times and it still came up clear.

So, if you've bothered to read this far - wondering what others think - I'm sure Forscan was correct - the truck sounded and ran normal after I fixed the coil pack. Why did the Innova tool keep pulling that code? Anyone know?

What should have been an hour and half job max turned into about 3 1/2 hours - but now I have fresh oil, fresh plugs and freshly rotated tires.... Ready for another year of driving....
Sounds like my life. Everything always takes twice as long and costs three times as much...

5thranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20ranger
Occupation
driver
I got the "oil change is due soon" message on the dash, so I decided to do my usual oil change and tire rotation. No big deal - that was easy - then I remembered I bought new plugs a while back after all the talk of the rusted plug #1. I thought "replacing plugs should be easy, they are right on the top of the engine". Well, it didn't quite work out that way.....Plug #4 (the one in the back) is really hard to get off the coil pack due to something else being right over top of it - this is important later in the story....

First, I realized I didn't have a plug socket with the rubber insert to hold the plug. That made both removing and installing the new plugs extra hard due to the big hole they are in. I worked thru that with not too much issue. Got all the plugs replaced - It didn't take TOO long. Started up the truck and it didn't sound right - like one cylinder was out. I plugged in my Innova scan tool and sure enough, beside the flashing engine light on the dash, it told me there was a misfire on plug #4 (I had to go look up how they numbered the plugs to make sure I knew which plug it was). I remembered when I put the coil pack on it felt kind of weird. Toying with that for a bit and it went back on like I felt it should. Fire up the engine and it still seemed to be misfiring. Plug in the scan tool again and I get some other code. I'm really worried now - but I go look in the engine bay and then realize I did something stupid. When I was messing with the coil back on plug #4, I unplugged it so I could move it around better - I forgot to plug it back in. I was sure I had figured it out - I mean really, how hard can replacing spark plugs be? Anyway, started it up and it sounded normal - drove normal - no flashing engine on the dash. BUT - when I plugged in the Innova scan tool, it was still telling me the P0354 (I think that was it) code. I cleared it, recylced the ignition and it kept coming up. It just didn't seem like it was a good code - I went and got my laptop and my Forscan cable and hooked it up. It came up with some other werid codes, including the U0422 which I got when I changed the speedo for my new tires. But nothing related to the coil pack. I decided to clear all the codes and then recycle everything and restarted the truck. Did that, and then reconnected Forscan - no new codes (other than the U0422). Repeated the cycling of the engine a couple of times and it still came up clear.

So, if you've bothered to read this far - wondering what others think - I'm sure Forscan was correct - the truck sounded and ran normal after I fixed the coil pack. Why did the Innova tool keep pulling that code? Anyone know?

What should have been an hour and half job max turned into about 3 1/2 hours - but now I have fresh oil, fresh plugs and freshly rotated tires.... Ready for another year of driving....
I feel your pain, I let my wife do all that stuff and it looks difficult from the angle of my lawn chair.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rob,

When installing new plugs, I use a piece of fuel hose about 12 inches long...Flexible and prevents the dreaded crossthred event. I do this on easy to reach plugs as well as hard to get to spark plugs. Just slip the hose over the insulator and install until you need a tool to "snug" the plug..

Best,
Phil
Beat me to it. Good tip. I keep such a piece of hose in my tool box just for this.

OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a short update - I drove about 100 miles yesterday - all good - Today, I noticed FordPass no longer had the "service engine soon" alerts in it. So all appears to be good now.
Sponsored