First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
I am not trying to insult you. I think it's great you care about your truck. Question I have for everyone is, why would anyone trust a dealership unless they had a dependable buddy that worked there. They never let the oil drain long enough. The works is a joke at most dealerships. A good quality synthetic with quality filtration is the way to go. I have trained so many auto mechanics transitioning to factory work it's scary how lost they are. I am not saying that all are bad, but the dealerships good mechanic doesn't change your oil most of the time. Just my thoughts.
Umm yea, I see a ton of Ase certified techs with years of schooling transitioning to a factory job. And are lost trying to do it. Totally believable lol. I take my truck to the dealership as long as it is still under warranty. It is just an oil change, after all.
Sponsored

Willis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
I go to the dealer because it’s required for their lifetime power train warranty.

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4
I get the works every 5k. Having zero mechanical knowledge or skills I'm at the mercy of the dealership and all I can hope is that they approach it professionally and do their best to do a good job. Probably very naive of me I know...

ICE 27

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger tremor
Umm yea, I see a ton of Ase certified techs with years of schooling transitioning to a factory job. And are lost trying to do it. Totally believable lol. I take my truck to the dealership as long as it is still under warranty. It is just an oil change, after all.
When factory line mechanics can make 80 to 100k yes it's completely believable. Auto mechanics in the Midwest make around 50 to 60k in this area. 40% applicants are auto. What do you do for a living?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I am not trying to insult you. I think it's great you care about your truck. Question I have for everyone is, why would anyone trust a dealership unless they had a dependable buddy that worked there. They never let the oil drain long enough. The works is a joke at most dealerships. A good quality synthetic with quality filtration is the way to go. I have trained so many auto mechanics transitioning to factory work it's scary how lost they are. I am not saying that all are bad, but the dealerships good mechanic doesn't change your oil most of the time. Just my thoughts.
In a way you are not wrong, but at the same time you are.

First off if the Ford Motocraft oil and filter wasn't good quality then why does Ford recommend it especially after doing testing with it?

For an Automotive Dealership that is run well(notice the key words there) even a Mechanic will do an oil change from time to time just because he already has the vehicle.

Why do many Automotive Technicians try to get out of the trade? Simply for two reasons. #1 they are tired of treated like garbage. #2 it's a lot easier to live when you know you can put food on the table and keep a roof over your head at the end of the day. Both of those reasons are why I work on Forklifts as it pays better(both Dollar amount and Hourly vs Flat Rate) and I'm not treated like garbage. It actually allows myself to focus on the job instead of the paycheck as much.

ICE 27

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger tremor
In a way you are not wrong, but at the same time you are.

First off if the Ford Motocraft oil and filter wasn't good quality then why does Ford recommend it especially after doing testing with it?

For an Automotive Dealership that is run well(notice the key words there) even a Mechanic will do an oil change from time to time just because he already has the vehicle.

Why do many Automotive Technicians try to get out of the trade? Simply for two reasons. #1 they are tired of treated like garbage. #2 it's a lot easier to live when you know you can put food on the table and keep a roof over your head at the end of the day. Both of those reasons are why I work on Forklifts as it pays better(both Dollar amount and Hourly vs Flat Rate) and I'm not treated like garbage. It actually allows myself to focus on the job instead of the paycheck as much.
I am a process man by trade. Its my job to go into a facility, and get it running efficiently again. 70 % of my job is fixing engineering mistakes. Yes, most of the techs leave because they were treated poorly. Usually end up making good mechanics once they are taught to troubleshoot. It's funny I take a stethoscope every where I go. People look at me very strangely. I fix more things with my ears. You would be surprised what gets recommended in my opinion. I can only speak from experience. I have worked with Ford more then once, and they are poorly ran. The warranty work speaks volumes. Yet every company has issues. I do hear you, and sounds like you enjoy what you do. I am sure you are good at it. When I first started I was a electrical tech. I remember helping are fork truck tech one night. A simple ground on a old heyster with the two button pedal ate my lunch for half the night. Those are the jobs that teach you the most. originally was just saying I trust my work, and if it breaks it's on me. Cheers Frenchy

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
I go to the dealer because it’s required for their lifetime power train warranty.
You'd think people would understand this after buying a new truck. But I guess some people think they just know better.

Plus... I have over 70,000 Ford points (or whatever the hell they're called). Which means I haven't paid for an oil change with this truck yet. I get the "The Works" every time I go in and it costs me something like 15,000 points, so I'll be getting free oil changes for a while.

I guess it's a different story if you're buying used, especially private party, though.

But, gosh... if I needed to pay attention to my odometer as much as the OP does just to get in and get regular maintenance done at the EXACT right mileage, I'd have driven myself into the nuthouse long ago.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
That's something between you and the dealer.
As for regular Ford warranty, it is not required that maintenance is done by Ford techs as long as the work is documented.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I get The Works done every 5k, (don't start on how that's too soon). So as 40k approached, I called to see if I could get in last Monday, antiicipatiing my weekend driving would put me right around 40k. They said Wed. morning was the first they could get me in. I thought crap, that will put me over 40k because I had a kayak trip Sunday and 2 days of commuting that would add another possible 200 miles or so. But I was able to share I ride kayaking to knock the trip in half. Then Monday was a nice day for the Harley. Tuesday I had to drive to work and had a chiropractor appt., which I decided to walk to from work, knocking off about 2 miles. Wed. morning came and I rolled into the dealership right after the odometer rolled over to 40000. The service writer asked if I planned to roll in at exactly 40k. I said no, not really.
And since it was still at exactly 40k when I rolled out, I knew they didn't take it for a coffee run!
I do 5k intervals as well if thats worth anything.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
While I find it rare for an exact OD service point, it is quite an achievement, and this reminds me of Al Bundy rolling over 1 million miles on the Dodge, for the New Viper.
Actually, the "Dodge" was a Plymouth Duster and 3 were used for the show, it was a clever subtle bashing for the lower end Plymouth being rebadged with Dodge emblems.
Sponsored