First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Well, as someone who's had a 2019 Tacoma SR5 4x4 and now a 2021 Ranger, I think I can give me 2 cents. Now granted, I only had my Ranger a couple of days.

I will say this. The ranger for me, is WAY more comfortable and it feels WAY more refined. The Tacoma had this cheap feel to it to me. It rattled on the highway, had a lot of wind noise and no power. It just did not feel refined at all. I also had issues from day one with the rear end. Multiple dealer trips and no fix. Finally got tired of and got rid of it. During my months of ownership with my Tacoma I spent a lot of time on the Tacoma forums. MAN... Talk about problems. Just take a look at the list of TSBs out on the Tacoma since 2018. Its ridiculous. My buddy has a 2018 Tacoma and he's had shifting issues since day one that till this day has not been fixed, even after multiple dealership visits. This is a very common complaint with the Tacoma. Basically, it refuses to shift into higher gears at highway speeds. He would have to manually have to shift it into higher gears. A few dealership visits has sorta fixed the issue, but it still isn't perfect.

MY personal observations, the Ranger's bones are way better built than the Tacoma. The ranger seems solid. The Tacoma seems cheap. My dad who's been a mechanic of 40+ years and a hardcore Toyota fanboy, even agrees that the new Tacoma's feel and seem built like shit.

Now, I do think in the LONG wrong the motor and transmission on the Tacoma's will outlast the 2.3s and 10 speeds, but that's my opinion.

With the Tacoma, within a few weeks I had buyers remorse. With this Ranger, I am in love. Love everything about it so far. Check in again with me in a few months.
I had very old pre-taco toyota. It was great and did everything I needed or wanted. I sold it because it was just sitting and I got tired of paying insurance to have it sit in the yard. I finally came to the realization that I needed a truck for *reasons*, so I bought a ranger and sold my outback. The ranger checked all the boxes for me, and I'm happy with the choice so far. Time will tell.
Sponsored

OP
OP

tigerpawn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Occupation
Retired
Thanx for your input
now going to try ranger and compare to Honda Ridgeline

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I had very old pre-taco toyota. It was great and did everything I needed or wanted. I sold it because it was just sitting and I got tired of paying insurance to have it sit in the yard. I finally came to the realization that I needed a truck for *reasons*, so I bought a ranger and sold my outback. The ranger checked all the boxes for me, and I'm happy with the choice so far. Time will tell.
I think that that anything 2015 and sooner Tacoma's are SOLID. Anything 2016+ are not what they used to be based on my experience and what I've researched.

Reactions: EJH

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Thanx for your input
now going to try ranger and compare to Honda Ridgeline
The Ridgeline's are solid. I test drove one. Really liked it. Very smooth, good power. My problem? Didn't feel like a truck. That's because it isn't one. I need something I can off road with and I didn't really trust the ridgeline to get the job done. Aside from that, I don't think you can go wrong with them. They should give you many years of trouble free miles.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I think that that anything 2015 and sooner Tacoma's are SOLID. Anything 2016+ are not what they used to be based on my experience and what I've researched.
I can't speak to the taco. i had a '93 pickup, which is all it was called. 4x4, extended cab pickup. I never had a single problem with it for 25 years, except it start to rust a bit which is one reason I decided to sell while the selling was good. It served me well for recreation.

OP
OP

tigerpawn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Occupation
Retired
Thanx
for your input again.

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
Honestly, we didn't even bother test driving a Tacoma. We focussed on Ranger and Colorado and even looked at a Jeep (which we immediately dismissed after driving one.) We've all been in one enough times to know how cramped they are.No way my kids were going to put up with multi day drives in the back seat of one.

Also the load rating is underwhelming to say the least. But also -- and maybe different now w/ supply issues -- what you get feature wise on the Ford vs Toyota for the price isn't really comparable, given that at least around here there are almost no discounts on Tacos.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I was convinced I wanted a Tacoma and joined TW to do some research.

Reading TW you'd swear the Tacoma was the Chariot Of The Gods and bordered on automotive divinity.

I drove multiple Tacomas and hated the shifting and seating position. I thought the first one was just a fluke but nope, they were all like that.

The transmission and the no-torque V6 were the biggest let downs for me.

I recently drove my Ranger through the mountains of North Carolina.

Dropped the shifter into S and it cruised up and down the mountains effortlessly, with power to spare if you needed to pass someone.

Oh, and getting low 20s MPG through the mountains. In a 4x4 truck with aftermarket wheels and tires.

I was pleased.

Edit: Edited to give details of my research.

Last edited:

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
The Ranger powertrain is what really sold me over the Colorado/Canyon, along with a bunch of other things, particularly interior comfort.

One thing I have to give recent Tacoma, they look totally badass esp. when modded. But the platform is showing it's age to put it kindly.

VG6bSkW.jpg

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ruby) 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
retired
I owned a 2018 Tacoma. Always wanted one but after owning it, I would never buy again. The transmission was a new variation to give better mileage. It felt like having hesitation with the old carburetors. Had to press a button to take it out of Eco mode to make it run right. Either that or slam down on the accelerator. Also very little new technology as apposed to my new Ranger.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I owned a 2018 Tacoma. Always wanted one but after owning it, I would never buy again. The transmission was a new variation to give better mileage. It felt like having hesitation with the old carburetors. Had to press a button to take it out of Eco mode to make it run right. Either that or slam down on the accelerator. Also very little new technology as apposed to my new Ranger.
This reminds me of one of my test drives on a 2017.

Salesman had to drive it off the lot and I noticed he pressed the ECT PWR button as soon as he started the truck (kind of like putting the Ranger shifter in S mode). Sly devil. :devil:

When it was my turn to drive I turned it back off and the shifting nirvana was there for us both to behold.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I was only looking at a Taco or Ranger, but leaning toward the Taco because of the V6 over a turbo I4. In my mind, I don't need a turbo unless it's a diesel or some performance packages, just something else to break and fix. I drive fairly hard, prefer larger motors on long term vehicles.

I test drove a used 18 Taco, and then directly after a brand new Taco. The next day I drove a used 19 Ranger, then a brand new Ranger.

I like the Taco allot, but access/exit for me is like putting a sweater on that's 1 size too small. Doable, and I can adjust, but just not a proper fit. The killer though, was the underwhelming power response in the Taco. Even the brand new Taco was sluggish.

Cosmetically the front clip is much beefier than the Ranger and looks great. I don't like the Ranger front end nearly as much, but from the doors back the Ranger looks much better.

Reliability wasn't even a concern IMO. Neither had any major recalls in the latest production which a few years in, so mostly it will depend on use and maintenance, barring the occasionally outlier.

Entry/driver's seat, and a lacking power response, were the predominant factors. If I were a little bit smaller, with 40% less right foot, I'm sure I'd be ecstatic in both for the next decade or two.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
2021 Toyota Tacoma comes equipped with a 2.7-liter Inline 4 that makes 159 hp @ 5200 rpm and 180 lb-ft @ 3800 rpm of torque.
2020 Toyota Tacoma 0-60 and Quarter Mile all trims.
Trim Name0-60 MPHStanding 1/4-mile
SR5 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)10 sec17.5 sec

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
The 2021 Ford Ranger comes equipped with a 2.3-liter Inline 4 that makes 270 hp @ 5500 rpm and 310 lb-. ft @ 3000 rpm of torque.
2021 Ford Ranger 0-60 and Quarter Mile all trims.
Lariat 3dr Crew Cab 5.0 ft. SB 4WD (2.3L 4cyl 10A)6.1 sec14.7 sec

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
The 2021 Ford Ranger comes equipped with a 2.3-liter Inline 4 that makes 270 hp @ 5500 rpm and 310 lb-. ft @ 3000 rpm of torque.
2021 Ford Ranger 0-60 and Quarter Mile all trims.
Lariat 3dr Crew Cab 5.0 ft. SB 4WD (2.3L 4cyl 10A)6.1 sec14.7 sec
V6 Taco has a bit more hp, but a lot less torque. I tend to yawn at hp. I don't spend much time >5000 rpm.
Torque tows and gets you up and moving. One of several specs that caused me to buy the Ranger over Taco.
Sponsored