First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
When I went looking for the replacement for my 97 Ranger I looked at what was available for price and features. I wasn’t particularly thrilled with a 4 banger in a PU after years ago driving some Ford Rangers with the 4 in them. I figured it would be underpowered and sluggish. So test drove the Taco with a V6 figuring it would be better power and torque.

This is where my education started of what technology brings us today. That’s when things also went 180 degrees. It ended up the Ranger had it all over the Taco in every score. What totally surprised me was the power this turbo4 puts out. It was a jaw drop over here.

The journey didn’t end there though. Then I went online to research my findings to verify. This forum and TW and read what others were saying.

Pretty easy decision at that point. Been in a 2020 XLT sport scab and very happy with the choice. I just have to keep myself from making another excuse to ‘go somewhere’ ?
Sponsored

OP
OP

tigerpawn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Occupation
Retired
V6 Taco has a bit more hp, but a lot less torque. I tend to yawn at hp. I don't spend much time >5000 rpm.
Torque tows and gets you up and moving. One of several specs that caused me to buy the Ranger over Taco.

OP
OP

tigerpawn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Occupation
Retired
Horsepower and torque is not my main concern
nor is off reading that much
i want a truck that will get me to point A to point B
reliably for the next 10 years
and had good resale value if I decided to sell it
I grew up a Ford fan that’s all my family drove
but the last 15 years I been driving 4 runners
and Toyota Camry
if I had 100,000 miles on a vehicle and I was in New York
heading to California
which will get me there trouble free
that is my main concern

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Horsepower and torque is not my main concern
nor is off reading that much
i want a truck that will get me to point A to point B
reliably for the next 10 years
and had good resale value if I decided to sell it
I grew up a Ford fan that’s all my family drove
but the last 15 years I been driving 4 runners
and Toyota Camry
heading to California
that is my main concern
My last Ranger a V6 3.0 auto trans got me 287K miles with normal maintenance. I don’t know of many Toyota’s that can brag about that. Seems the Fords PU’s do this regularly.

Reactions: Doc

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
To be perfectly honest, when I traded and sold both of my Chevys, I was dead set on a Tacoma. I went and shopped around and found a beautiful Trd Offroad that was fully loaded. I knew I was gonna buy it…. Until I drove it. I was very underwhelmed at the powertrain and the seating position was weird. Didnt like that the remote start would shut the engine off as soon as you open the driver side door. It drove fine, but just didn’t really do anything for me. Long story short, im on this forum and have a Ranger lol.

OP
OP

tigerpawn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Occupation
Retired
To be perfectly honest, when I traded and sold both of my Chevys, I was dead set on a Tacoma. I went and shopped around and found a beautiful Trd Offroad that was fully loaded. I knew I was gonna buy it…. Until I drove it. I was very underwhelmed at the powertrain and the seating position was weird. Didnt like that the remote start would shut the engine off as soon as you open the driver side door. It drove fine, but just didn’t really do anything for me. Long story short, im on this forum and have a Ranger lol.

OP
OP

tigerpawn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Occupation
Retired
I understand
if It’s one thing that gets my blood pressure rolling
its mechanical issues on vehicle
especially ones approaching 38,000 dollars

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
heading to California
that is my main concern
I'd expect any vehicle made in this century to do that just fine. By 100k any early failures are long past. By and large people get rid of modern high mileage vehicles for reasons like rust, or because they get wrecked, or because it's time for a change, or because a routine maintenance item or deteriorating component will cost more than the car is worth--not because they suddenly explode.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Suzuki does similar practices as Toyota on some of their motors. ie Tundra and Tacoma.
Engineer a great motor at the time. Flog it until people do not want it any more or emissions make you change it.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I understand
if It’s one thing that gets my blood pressure rolling
its mechanical issues on vehicle
especially ones approaching 38,000 dollars
Tiger pawn, have you taken both for a test drive and are you leaning one way or the other? Let us know what you decide and what the selling factor was. :)

Rene Michaels

First Name
René
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
This was my situation as well. I've had Toyota 4Runner and Ford Explorer in the past, so brand was not a factor in my decision. Like you I was underwhelmed when I test drove the Taco. Not only that, the ride was really rough ...felt every bump. The Ranger was quieter as well. I also looked at the Colorado and Canyon but did not drive either one as I had eliminated them when looking at the specs for my particular needs/wants.

Having said that, if I was looking to buy a mid-size truck today, I would definitely do my homework (like you are doing now) and then test drive each one. There are so many different trim and option levels it's easy to rule out a brand without truly considering other trims/options from the same brand. Test drive and test drive some more!

OP
OP

tigerpawn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Occupation
Retired
This was my situation as well. I've had Toyota 4Runner and Ford Explorer in the past, so brand was not a factor in my decision. Like you I was underwhelmed when I test drove the Taco. Not only that, the ride was really rough ...felt every bump. The Ranger was quieter as well. I also looked at the Colorado and Canyon but did not drive either one as I had eliminated them when looking at the specs for my particular needs/wants.

Having said that, if I was looking to buy a mid-size truck today, I would definitely do my homework (like you are doing now) and then test drive each one. There are so many different trim and option levels it's easy to rule out a brand without truly considering other trims/options from the same brand. Test drive and test drive some more!
Thanx

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
I'd expect any vehicle made in this century to do that just fine. By 100k any early failures are long past. By and large people get rid of modern high mileage vehicles for reasons like rust, or because they get wrecked, or because it's time for a change, or because a routine maintenance item or deteriorating component will cost more than the car is worth--not because they suddenly explode.
Yes. A turd model from any brand is rare. Social media can trash a mfgrs. reputation, so development and mfg quality is high. "Infant failure" design flubs and supplier goofs are generally flushed out early.

My '94 Caravan and '99 Durango lasted 21 yrs each. ...short of 200k mi. Rust retired them. Both were reliable and found a new home.

My motto: Maintain them, and drive them like you want them to last, and they will.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
In the end, its still luck of the draw. You may get that one that is a lemon or you may get the good one out of the line. I would guess all these manufacturers have a 5year 100,000 mile goal. Every single one has issues at some point in production. Toyota has had their fare share ( they all have) thats for sure. I know alot of Toyota owners here (Asian market) and they have just as many issues as any other brand.
The 10 speeds are solid Transmissions. Again, you will always have that bad batch. Although the new Ranger has been around sense 2015 overseas, its still new in the States, and it will have growing pains. Toyota has been on the same platform for a while, and should have it perfected by now.

If you could rent both for a weekend each, that would be ideal. I cant speak for the US Rangers, but MY Everest destroys my neighbors Toyota from a comfort standpoint. Materials used for the interior feel way better also. He is actually selling his Toyota after sitting in mine, he is looking at a Raptor or WildTrack now. At this point you could wait for the next gen, then again growing pains.

So this was absolutely useless information for the OP :rolleyes:
Sponsored