First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Occupation
Retired
i am new to the forum but would like to get some unbiased feedback on the 2021 Ford ranger
I currently own a Chevrolet Equinox, and my wife has a Toyota rav4 and Toyota Avalon
I have previously owned 1967 Ford Mustang a 1972 Ford Gran Torino and a crown Vic
way back, more recently I have owned Toyota 4 runners and Toyota camrys
I must say the Toyota’s have been great vehicles, I really like the new Ford rangers a lot
but what scares the heck out of me is mechanical trouble by that I mean transmission and motor trouble
gasket or seal leaks
which I never had in my Toyota’s can someone tell me if they have heard of any such issues in the
new rangers
my blood pressure really gets going when these issues arise
if it’s one thing I don’t like is mechanical trouble on a 37,000 dollar vehicle
hope my thread wasn’t to long
tigerpawn
Sponsored

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
i am new to the forum but would like to get some unbiased feedback on the 2021 Ford ranger
I currently own a Chevrolet Equinox, and my wife has a Toyota rav4 and Toyota Avalon
I have previously owned 1967 Ford Mustang a 1972 Ford Gran Torino and a crown Vic
I must say the Toyota’s have been great vehicles, I really like the new Ford rangers a lot
but what scares the heck out of me is mechanical trouble by that I mean transmission and motor trouble
gasket or seal leaks
which I never had in my Toyota’s can someone tell me if they have heard of any such issues in the
new rangers
tigerpawn
Test drive both of them ...

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
best to try to do an extended test drive on both and see which one fits you better. you can have mechanical troubles on anything you buy now days. that's what the 3 /36K warranty is for to fix anything that may fail in the first 3 years or 36K to give the purchaser some peace of mind.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
gasket or seal leaks
new rangers
tigerpawn
I totally get where you're coming from and had the same concerns. My previous daily driver was an '02 Tacoma SR5 TRD that we bought new. 172,000 trouble free miles, still had the original factory brakes and clutch when we traded it in on our new FX4 SuperCab Ranger in Sept. 2019.

The Ranger is a great truck. We have put a little over 16,000 miles on it and so far, so good.

Jump in... the water is fine.

Rainbow Tacoma.jpg

003.JPG

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I bleed Ford Blue but I will allow that over the last 20 or so years a lot of their automatic transmissions are garbage. Too soon to say on the Ranger but I would have preferred a manual transmission like you can get in Europe.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
gasket or seal leaks
new rangers
tigerpawn
Like Doc said, test drive them both. Then your decision should be much easier. I personally made the right choice almost 2 trouble free years ago. I love this Ranger more each time I drive it.

OP
OP

tigerpawn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Occupation
Retired
Test drive both of them ...
Like Doc said, test drive them both. Then your decision should be much easier. I personally made the right choice almost 2 trouble free years ago. I love this Ranger more each time I drive it.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I think the advice to test drive them both is the best advice, since everyone has their own things that are important to them. When I was looking, I did a lot of comparison and evaluation on what was important to me. It came down to the Ranger or Tacoma. I test drove the Tacoma and really wanted to like it, but I hated the powertrain in it. There were things I liked, but I wasn't able to overcome the horrible powertrain. I've had my Ranger for just over 2 years and absolutely love it. If I had it to do all over again, I'd do exactly the same thing.

OP
OP

tigerpawn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Occupation
Retired
A test drive would be important but quite frankly I might be weird
even if I found the Ford ranger to have a better ride and Comfort
it would be important but I am willing to sacrifice ride and comfort
i would Rather buy a truck that has long term reliability
secondarily Would be good resale value
I am Leaning heavily on the ranger but not 100 percent
if you read some reviews by rating agencies they rate the Tacoma above the ranger which scrambles my thoughts
thanx for everyone’s opinion
will keep u posted what i decide which should be by end of may
my dealer is getting a race red fx2 in

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
The automotive journals have the Ranger anywhere from a resounding 1st place to dead last among all midsize depending on who you read.

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
I had the exact opposite experience. I was set to buy a Toyota Tacoma purely based on reputation and resale value. Actually had the deal set and ready to go, decided to test drive the Tacoma first, got on the freeway going up hill and it was a slug. I had previously owned a Nissan Titan. Handed them back the keys and said no thanks.

Then drove the Ranger and it fit me perfectly, fast powerful like my Titan. That transmission is awesome on long trips on various grades.

Here is the deal, you are going to spend a lot of time behind the wheel, might as well enjoy it. Statistics are great, in my mind buying a long term reliable truck that I don’t like is no virtue. Good luck with your decision.

OP
OP

tigerpawn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Occupation
Retired
I had the exact opposite experience. I was set to buy a Toyota Tacoma purely based on reputation and resale value. Actually had the deal set and ready to go, decided to test drive the Tacoma first, got on the freeway going up hill and it was a slug. I had previously owned a Nissan Titan. Handed them back the keys and said no thanks.

Then drove the Ranger and it fit me perfectly, fast powerful like my Titan. That transmission is awesome on long trips on various grades.

Here is the deal, you are going to spend a lot of time behind the wheel, might as well enjoy it. Statistics are great, in my mind buying a long term reliable truck that I don’t like is no virtue. Good luck with your decision.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
Well, you're gambling a vehicle just reintroduced in the US in 2019 will have the same reliability as a Tacoma with an old but proven drive train. No one here can answer that question for at least another 8 to 10 years. Maybe by then Toyota will make the Tacoma more comfortable and powerful, yeah, I'm biased...had a 99 and 02 Tacoma I never could get comfortable in. But, they never failed.

I have no wisdom to offer but good luck on your decision, in the end, it's a crap shoot because a low percentage of all vehicles will experience issues.
Sponsored