How much does Ford charge

nevada.tracy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
I just had my transmission fluid and filter replaced on my 2020 XLT ranger. They charged me just under $1000. The truck has 67500 miles with no transmission problems at all. Most of the miles are highway and I do tow a trailer often. This being my first transmission fluid flush, I wanted the filter changed also. They didn't want to do the filter only the fluid. The quote on the phone was $350(for just the fluid change) when I dropped it off I told them I really wanted the filter also done. I received a call a hour later saying it was going from $350 to $700+ because when they change the filter the fluid loss needed to be replaced before being hooked up to their fluid flushing machine. So basically when changing the filter the 6 qts of transmission fluid had to be replaced with new fluid just to pump it back out when being flushed. The filter was $94 the gasket was almost $50 and almost twice the fluid needed. I think I was robbed.
Sponsored

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
I was thinking of having that done to my Ranger but maybe not. I will need a second mortgage at that rate. It sounds like they did rob you unfortunately.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Filter at Ford parts counter runs around $55 ish, new pan gasket around $40-$45 ish, and the LV fluid at NAPA ran me around $6.50 a quart when bought in a 6 quart case....it was on sale, but still...$6.50.
As far as the xtra fluid....if they were able to drain the torque converter, it would have taken extra fluid.
You do the math.....Seems like they nailed you for extra $$$ on the parts and fluid, and gave you a good porking with the labor.
I bought 12 quarts of fluid, filter, and a 1/4 inch drive torque wrench at Harbor Freight to read inch lbs for pan bolts, and total was a bit over $200.

Last edited:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Can they really hook this tranny up to a "flushing machine" ? I'm under the impression that it's a drain and refill operation, but good to know if I'm mistaken.

And yes I think they socked it to you unless they really did get most/all of the old fluid out and replaced it with new.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
No offense, but you should have gotten a definitive quote before the work was done and you can either decide to pay it or not. If they told you it was going to be 700+ and you gave the ok, then you weren’t robbed, since the “+” makes the quote open-ended in my book.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Can they really hook this tranny up to a "flushing machine" ? I'm under the impression that it's a drain and refill operation, but good to know if I'm mistaken.

And yes I think they socked it to you unless they really did get most/all of the old fluid out and replaced it with new.
Yes, they tap into the oil cooler (Inlet & Return)
Start engine and machine hooked up, out with old - in with new 12 qts of fluid.

The pan drop - drain and fill only removes about 1/2 - 3/4 of the fluid. (approx)

Initial fill with 5 Qts - Pan Drop or Valve Body Replace
Initial fill with 6 Qts - Overhaul

Start Engine - Fill to fluid just hits the stick (Hashmark to 6)

Drive and then top of to the full mark - Between 4-5

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, they tap into the oil cooler (Inlet & Return)
Start engine and machine hooked up, out with old - in with new 12 qts of fluid.

The pan drop - drain and fill only removes about 1/2 - 3/4 of the fluid. (approx)

Initial fill with 5 Qts - Pan Drop or Valve Body Replace
Initial fill with 6 Qts - Overhaul

Start Engine - Fill to fluid just hits the stick (Hashmark to 6)

Drive and then top of to the full mark - Between 4-5
Thanks good info. For yrs I would use the tranny lines going to the radiator to tranny flush, the fluid being powered by the tranny pump, pump out a bucket full, shut off engine, replace with bucket full of new ATF , repeat until the old fluid was mostly completely replaced.

Wonder if you can do that with the 1080R or does the flushing machine power the fluid ? I would think a good tranny shop could do the flush cheaper than the dealer.

Conman50

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger; 2014 Ford Fusion
I did that's at 45k miles. Sounds about what I paid. I think going forward I may just have them do a fluid drain and fill every 20k miles.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just had my transmission fluid and filter replaced on my 2020 XLT ranger. They charged me just under $1000. The truck has 67500 miles with no transmission problems at all. Most of the miles are highway and I do tow a trailer often. This being my first transmission fluid flush, I wanted the filter changed also. They didn't want to do the filter only the fluid. The quote on the phone was $350(for just the fluid change) when I dropped it off I told them I really wanted the filter also done. I received a call a hour later saying it was going from $350 to $700+ because when they change the filter the fluid loss needed to be replaced before being hooked up to their fluid flushing machine. So basically when changing the filter the 6 qts of transmission fluid had to be replaced with new fluid just to pump it back out when being flushed. The filter was $94 the gasket was almost $50 and almost twice the fluid needed. I think I was robbed.
Hey - did you happen to see or get feedback on the condition of the fluid , like the color ?

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Thanks good info. For yrs I would use the tranny lines going to the radiator to tranny flush, the fluid being powered by the tranny pump, pump out a bucket full, shut off engine, replace with bucket full of new ATF , repeat until the old fluid was mostly completely replaced.

Wonder if you can do that with the 1080R or does the flushing machine power the fluid ? I would think a good tranny shop could do the flush cheaper than the dealer.
That I do not know, if it is powered or do they use the transmission pump itself.

btsmith52

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger, 2016 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
I haven't looked under the ranger, but for some of these 10R80s (F150 for example), you have to drop a lot of stuff to get the pan off. They didn't make it easy. Perhaps that is part of the cost.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I thought a flush was not recommended.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did not. I was going to ask about it but they lost my paperwork and had to print another, after all that BS I totally forgot
Having worked sales for 30+ yrs ones learns quickly to avoid underestimating and later presenting the customer with price increases.
Sponsored