How Much Tire Rub is Too Much

Alex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
The weather is finally getting nice out, snow is starting to melt, so I decided to put my new wheels and tires on. I was hoping I would get lucking and not have any rubbing issues with the crash bars, but no such luck. I bought some Venomrex series 602 wheels and Falken tires (same size as OEM 265/65/R17) and they rubbed the crash bars. I removed the plastic cover and loosened the crash bars to push them back as far as they will go, and the tires still rub a little at full lock on hills. (see photos)

My question to everyone is how much tire rub is too much. I prefer not to cut the crash bars and lift the Ranger, but also don't want to ruin the tires. I know a few people have run spacers on their Rangers and ran into similar problems, did you end up cutting the crash bars or just let it be.

also does anyone know the torque spec for the crash bar bolts?

Front Crash Bar
tire 3.jpg

Rear Crash Bar
tire 2.jpg

Wheels Straight
tire1.jpg
Sponsored

Chris D Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and Edge
Occupation
Network Operations Manager
Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
If I've understood correctly they have smaller crash bars, might try that it's cheap and not too hard. I am no expert, but I can't imagine having tire rub that wasn't temporary. To clarify by temporary I mean from the tire store to home where you do something to get rid of the issue.
All tire rub is temporary, in the sense that either the tire or the other part will get rubbed away...

OP
OP
Alex

Alex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
If I've understood correctly they have smaller crash bars, might try that it's cheap and not too hard. I am no expert, but I can't imagine having tire rub that wasn't temporary. To clarify by temporary I mean from the tire store to home where you do something to get rid of the issue.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/123614-2019-Ford-Ranger-BDS-Intrusion-Beams.html
I have not seen that crash bar before, those look nice. I'm just not sure about spending 80 dollars for a quarter inch of tire rub. I definitely could see using those if steering was impeded or running some larger tires.

OP
OP
Alex

Alex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am not sure how much I trust the aftermarket crash bars, so i think i am leaning more towards selling the wheels.

Reactions: Doc

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
The problem is something you are not going to see until it happens, if they just rub sitting stationary, how much will they rub when the suspension is at full flex when travelling off road.