How does Trail Control work?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
In stop and go traffic Trail Control would crash into the back of whatever is in front of you at a rate less than 20mph unless collision avoidance is still active. I'd say it could probably be turned on with the addition of the wiring (it uses a button up by the trailer button), and a few minutes with Forscan.
Sponsored

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Bummed the adaptive cruise control won’t help with stop and go traffic.
That was the exact reason I didn't pop for the tech package or the Lariat.

I always said my next vehicle would have adaptive cruise control no matter what. When I found out it didn't work under 12mph, I said forget it....that's the exact situation I wanted it for! Bumper to bumper traffic on the parkway man!

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
That was the exact reason I didn't pop for the tech package or the Lariat.

I always said my next vehicle would have adaptive cruise control no matter what. When I found out it didn't work under 12mph, I said forget it....that's the exact situation I wanted it for! Bumper to bumper traffic on the parkway man!
Yea. Continue to be bummed about that but no midsize trucks have it. The Gladiator will have cruise with Stop but I don’t think Go. The Canyon Denali doesn’t have it. The Colorado is due for a refresh but since the new Silverado doesn’t have it I doubt the Colorado will either. The Tacoma is like the Ranger. I guess it won’t be until these midsize trucks get truly all new models around 2023 they get it. The technology is there, but maybe the demand is not.

technological_marvel

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black Ranger LARIAT FX4
Some asked about Trail Control: I took a test drive a few weeks ago and my dealer brought us to some dirt and we tried it out. Here's how it works:

- You set the speed with the CC buttons or with brake pedal/gas (it stays at whatever speed you set it with on the brake pedal)
- Trail Control controls both throttle *and* braking, using the ABS system on individual wheels based on pitch, roll, speed, and available traction.
- You can hear the ABS system kicking in downhill, trail control is different from CC in that CC you might gain speed on a downhill but TC specifically limits your speed to whatever you have set.

I did test drive a model with adaptive CC and emergency braking but I don't know if emergency braking is active when TC is on; I imagine it would be so it might work as a poor man's stop-and-go adaptive CC but I would't rely on it. I live in a place where stop-and-go traffic is not part of my daily drive and the few times I do get stuck in traffic it's usually 30ish mph highway traffic, where adaptive CC still works in that case.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
The emergency braking makes sure you feel like it's an emergency, Even the Adaptive CC stops abruptly instead of a more gradual slowdown. If you let the CC slow you down, the sensor in your butt tells you to hit the brakes much sooner next time.
Sponsored