Leather Seating - How much is actually Leather?

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Says W/Leather Trim for the heated seats in my Lariat. What part of the seat is actually covered in leather and what is the rest of the seat covered with?
Sponsored

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Says W/Leather Trim for the heated seats in my Lariat. What part of the seat is actually covered in leather and what is the rest of the seat covered with?
NO leather is exposed. All of today's vehicles (within then exception of $100K vehicles and above) use a vinyl coated leather. The leather is usually only on the mid portions of the seats and seat backs. With that, There is no need for any special leather conditioner as it will never see the actual leather.

To test for real uncoated leather (like on a baseball glove) is to place a few drops of water on the seat. If it rolls off it is coated leather. If it is absorbed, it is real uncoated leather. I can assure Ford does not use expensive top grain leather in their vehicles.

"Because clear coats on car paint and clear coat on car leather is a form of "plastic" (a combination a different polymers, resins, polyesters, etc., etc.) care for these coatings has changed the nature of the beast forever. It's just that most people remain in their ignorance and the industry has very little desire to educate". So what you are actually cleaning and conditioning is not natural leather, but natural leather that has been enhanced, re-colored, reconfigured, and coated.

All that is needed to clean today's leather seats is a 409 type cleaner if really dirty then follow up with 303. It can be used on most interior surfaces.

https://www.best-auto-detailing-tips.com/car-leather-care.html

Last edited:

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
I think just want your Butt's on and where you're back touch's. The side's and front of seat plus back side aren't.

OP
OP
chasvs

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
NO leather is exposed. All of today's vehicles (within then exception of $100K vehicles and above) use a vinyl coated leather. The leather is usually only on the mid portions of the seats and seat backs. With that, There is no need for any special leather conditioner as it will never see the actual leather.

To test for real uncoated leather (like on a baseball glove) is to place a few drops of water on the seat. If it rolls off it is coated leather. If it is absorbed, it is real uncoated leather. I can assure Ford does not use expensive top grain leather in their vehicles.

"Because clear coats on car paint and clear coat on car leather is a form of "plastic" (a combination a different polymers, resins, polyesters, etc., etc.) care for these coatings has changed the nature of the beast forever. It's just that most people remain in their ignorance and the industry has very little desire to educate". So what you are actually cleaning and conditioning is not natural leather, but natural leather that has been enhanced, re-colored, reconfigured, and coated.

All that is needed to clean today's leather seats is a 409 type cleaner if really dirty then follow up with 303. It can be used on most interior surfaces.

https://www.best-auto-detailing-tips.com/car-leather-care.html
Thanks for all that. But my question was what pieces of the seat covering are leather and what are the non-leather sections made from. Was wondering why they state it as Leather Trim.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The seating area is low grade leather..
Your back and behind area.

OP
OP
chasvs

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The seating area is low grade leather..
Your back and behind area.
About what I figured. Find the Term “Leather Trim” odd to describe the seating surface.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
About what I figured. Find the Term “Leather Trim” odd to describe the seating surface.
At one time it was called 'leather seating area' but leather trim sounds more like the whole seat.

OP
OP
chasvs

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
At one time it was called 'leather seating area' but leather trim sounds more like the whole seat.
Well, to me Trim is what’s around the edges or on the dash, etc. That’s what had me confused.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Yes no Corinthian leather in the Ranger.
I learned to drive in that car that Ricardo Montalban shilled for! The Chrysler Cordoba. A huge boat that floated down the road. It would get up and howl (it had a 400 4BBL and when you punched it, the thing just howled). I had a lot of fun in that car.....

Boy am I dating myself with that one....

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
I learned to drive in that car that Ricardo Montalban shilled for! The Chrysler Cordoba. A huge boat that floated down the road. It would get up and howl (it had a 400 4BBL and when you punched it, the thing just howled). I had a lot of fun in that car.....

Boy am I dating myself with that one....
The only thing I'm wondering is did yours have the available soft and rich Corinthian leather? :crackup:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing I'm wondering is did yours have the available soft and rich Corinthian leather? :crackup:
I will never forget that car - it had WHITE Corinthian leather seats. My mom HAD to have white seats. My parents ordered the car exactly as they wanted it. I always wondered what Corinthian leather was, and how it differed from real leather. I think it was just a marketing thing.

kjbeggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4
I will never forget that car - it had WHITE Corinthian leather seats. My mom HAD to have white seats. My parents ordered the car exactly as they wanted it. I always wondered what Corinthian leather was, and how it differed from real leather. I think it was just a marketing thing.
That was the first car my parents ever ordered too!
Dark green, with dark green "Corinthian Leather" seats.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My grandma had a Chrysler New Yorker with avocado green leather seats, my uncle still has it. Seats were the softest thing I had ever felt when i was a kid.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
"Despite the exotic origin suggested by the name "Corinthian leather", much of the leather used in Chrysler vehicles during the era originated from a supplier located outside Newark, New Jersey.[7]" Wiki

"Of course, the ultimate irony is that Ricardo’s Cordoba has “Fine Viennese velour” upholstery"
Sponsored