MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I've also had early warnings when someone stops suddenly in front of me, but haven't yet gotten to the point of assisted braking (that I can tell, anyway).

The lane keeping, though, is very useful for me. I wonder if there is some variability in how well it works between vehicles, since so many people turn it off due to it being annoying. I've found no annoyance with it so far, and have very much appreciated how well it works.
(I do have it set to the more sensitive settings though.)
I like the lane-warning feature, which lets me know if the truck is on or over the line, but I did not want it self-correcting and moving the truck back where it thinks it should be.
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I was wondering the same thing until some moron decided to make a dick move. That thing beat me to the brakes. :)

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I had a similar experience shortly after taking delivery of my 2019 Lariat. The thing reacts faster than we can, that's for sure. Like you, I cannot be sure that it actually prevented an accident, because I might have stopped in time anyway, but it is good to know that we have this system, and that it works!
I agree with it acting faster than I could. Shortly after I got mine I hit some black ice and the back end started to slide into the next lane. By the time I realized it, the truck had the back end in line with the rest of the truck. Others weren't so lucky. Shoulders were littered with people facing the wrong way. Needless to say, I slowed down and definitely appreciated the help in that instance.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
i know my opinion isnt popular, but its also a dick move to not be paying attention. its takes two to have a collision.

Its not a jab at you

but its exactly why this system was designed.
your eyes should be scanning the road constantly for "threats" to you safety.
but we are human. we look, we gawk, we blink and we micro nap, we are slow to react as we process whats going on in front of us.

the computer doesnt and its constantly watching when we arent.

its a good backup system for safety, and imho, preventing one crash is worth it.

i look at copart, and see the wrecks for auction, and wonder.....how did their incidents go so badly???
Did I say I wasn't paying attention?

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I would randomly get warnings when there wasn't anything in front of me so now it's turned off. I also found the truck drives better with stablity control and sport trac turned off. @RANGER PRIDE then you can skid around corners WOOHOO hold my beer watch this!!!

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
This is my first vehicle with any of the driver safety and assistance programs, and I don't like any of them. I had crash avoidance on until it kicked in the first time, for obstructions in adjacent lanes. I was very lucky it didn't cause a crash.

Auto cruise I tried, but more hassle than it's worth.
My lane assist turned off.
My blind spot turned off.
My crash avoidance is alarm only, no active measures.

In general I think these systems will have the same effect on driving skill as calculators had on people's basic math skills.

Last edited:

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
This is my first vehicle with any of the driver safety and assistance programs, and I don't like any of them. I had crash avoidance on until it kicked in the first time, for obstructions in adjacent lanes. I was very lucky it didn't cause a crash.

Lane assist turned off.
Blind spot turned off.
Crash avoidance is alarm only, no active measures.

In general I think these systems will have the same effect on driving skill as calculators had on people's basic math skills.
I am going to have to disagree with you especially with the blind spot monitoring, I have been riding Motorcycles for my entire life, and can't count the number of times other drivers have just pulled into my lane without either using a signal or looking. I have avoided death many times by having my head on a swivel and I use my mirrors every 5 seconds (in my truck also). I hope they put BSM in EVERY vehicle with NO way to turn it off, it will save lives. The other nannies I agree with you.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I've never had the AEB come on from someone stopping in front of me, but it has activated twice in traffic.

In stop and go traffic, when the guy in the 17 foot long car in the lane next to you suddenly decides that the 17 foot 3 inches long gap in front of you is the perfect place for him to be, the AEB gets all Christmasy with festive red lighting and ringing bells.

It's kinda like WalMart in that you never know when the Christmas lights are going to be on display.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I am going to have to disagree with you especially with the blind spot monitoring, I have been riding Motorcycles for my entire life, and can't count the number of times other drivers have just pulled into my lane without either using a signal or looking. I have avoided death many times by having my head on a swivel and I use my mirrors every 5 seconds (in my truck also). I hope they put BSM in EVERY vehicle with NO way to turn it off, it will save lives. The other nannies I agree with you.
My first complaint with BSM, is they have the system wired in reverse. Any safety system, the default when a breakage occurs should be the warning position. Meaning if a light is used, it should be on when the way is clear, and off when the way is blocked. Then if the fuse blows, LED fails, sensors fails etc, the light off means it's not safe, and take another look. As is, if any of the failures happen and the light fails, people will look see no light and think they are good to go.

Second, is the reliance people will place on them. As is I see people making wild head swinging motions try to see through rear seats, head rest, and pillar obstacles, instead of learning how to use their mirrors and do a proper check. Shoulder check for passenger side lane change became obsolete when passenger side mirrors became standard. Over that time, most drivers haven't learned how to use them properly, and the next generation will have even less need for them with automated systems.

I know these are intended as safety systems, but just like everything else, people become complacent and rely on the system instead of allowing it to enhance their driving.

And yes, I know I am using a very broad brush to paint allot of drivers, but 30 years of 50-70 hours a week on the road has beaten me down regarding other drivers desire or ability to drive well.

As always I mean no insult to anyone who uses or likes these systems, just sharing my experience and opinion.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Lane assist turned off.
Blind spot turned off.
Crash avoidance is alarm only, no active measures.

While I do like BLISS and CA but the others I leave off and can live without. I know others like it but i tried the ACC once and didn't like it at all! I would forget it was set and wondered why every time I approached a slower vehicle I was getting further away. Sure I was a paying attention but I'd rather drive at my own will than this back and forth ACC!.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
While I do like BLISS and CA but the others I leave off and can live without. I know others like it but i tried the ACC once and didn't like it at all! I would forget it was set and wondered why every time I approached a slower vehicle I was getting further away. Sure I was a paying attention but I'd rather drive at my own will than this back and forth ACC!.
I'm mostly on rural 80km/h roads. I was loving the ACC at first, set it at 99km/h and go. If I find a car it slows nicely, and when I get a chance to pass it accelerates automatically and resets.

Weekly warnings for blocked sensor, which you have to go through settings to turn it off, then re-initiate without ACC just regular cruise until you shut the truck down. Then using ACC on the freeway, a large sweeping 2 lane ramp, ACC shut me down for a vehicle in the outside lane because of the trajectory of my vehicle within the arc.

Now it's off, and I have to hit OKAY for the "no ACC" dash warning every time I start the truck and use it. I'd be happy to give them all back, and push start as well.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I've had the warning go off many time, usually when the traffic suddenly slows...but I'm always in the middle of lane change to avoid the brake stomp...so I'm not sure if this thing works or not as the brakes has never been activated in my situations...maybe I should try closing my eyes and see what happens? ?

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
My first complaint with BSM, is they have the system wired in reverse. Any safety system, the default when a breakage occurs should be the warning position. Meaning if a light is used, it should be on when the way is clear, and off when the way is blocked. Then if the fuse blows, LED fails, sensors fails etc, the light off means it's not safe, and take another look. As is, if any of the failures happen and the light fails, people will look see no light and think they are good to go.
I disagree with that. Most user's are use to the lights in the car being warnings. Every time I start the truck I confirm the lights are working, like I do with the other warning lights. I still turn my head and use my mirrors. I check my mirrors before I signal, signal, and look again to include looking back not through the mirror. But if on checking the mirror it's lit, I don't proceed with the checks, I keep going where I am. I want to say I recall an extra audio alert as one time I checked the mirrors and saw no one and no light, then when I put on the turn signal to indicate the lane change I think there was some audio and as I was starting my second check I saw the light was lit and a little car was passing fast.

I have most on alert only. I leave the emergency braking enabled, I've not had it get too bad, I know with the ACC if someone is turned off the road ahead it will aggressively brake if I don't use the accel pedal to override that. Again, it is up the driver to beware of what is going on and when the systems of the car may get it wrong and intervene as needed.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I disagree with that. Most user's are use to the lights in the car being warnings. Every time I start the truck I confirm the lights are working, like I do with the other warning lights. I still turn my head and use my mirrors. I check my mirrors before I signal, signal, and look again to include looking back not through the mirror. But if on checking the mirror it's lit, I don't proceed with the checks, I keep going where I am. I want to say I recall an extra audio alert as one time I checked the mirrors and saw no one and no light, then when I put on the turn signal to indicate the lane change I think there was some audio and as I was starting my second check I saw the light was lit and a little car was passing fast.

I have most on alert only. I leave the emergency braking enabled, I've not had it get too bad, I know with the ACC if someone is turned off the road ahead it will aggressively brake if I don't use the accel pedal to override that. Again, it is up the driver to beware of what is going on and when the systems of the car may get it wrong and intervene as needed.
So because people are used to it, it should remain a bad design? Safety warning systems shoud default to the warning mode when defective, not safe mode. If the light fails, it represents as safe to change lanes, which is un-safe.

Active braking activated on my truck for obstacle in adjacent lanes. It slammed the brakes on so hard, if I had been on any type of slick surface I would have been out of control. That's unacceptable IMO.

Your other example of not seeing a car passing you, I'm not sure of your point.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab