First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
That's what I ask myself about the Pre Collision Warning with AEB. Sure, I see the flashes of the self check on start up but how do
I know it will work when needed?
Well, today I found out. I was driving home on city streets, doing about 35. Apparently the guy ahead of me doesn't like center turning lanes, so he came to a quick stop in the traffic lane in order to make a left into a business. The PCW flashed and beeped rapidly to alert me of the car ahead. It happened so fast that I don't know if I was quick on the brake or the AEB reacted, but I avoided a rear end collision. That would have ruined my week seeing as I have had my Ranger for only 10 days.

Now to test the Curve Control.
Sponsored

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Yup, back when my truck was new in the middle of changing lanes the lady in front of me slammed on her brakes just as I was looking over my right shoulder to check for merging traffic (there was a merge lane there) The pre-collision engaged and my brakes automatically applied. Def saved a rear end collision. That bitch in front of me had nobody in front of her BTW ?

Last edited:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

OP
OP
Jason B

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Not Cruise Control, Curve Control which is a standard feature on new Ford Rangers.

"Curve Control is designed to sense when a vehicle is entering a corner too quickly — a condition drivers are most likely to encounter when entering or exiting freeways — and automatically but selectively apply "smart" four-wheel braking while reducing engine torque in a way that dramatically increases the chance of maintaining full control."

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
... i went in hot to a corner.
pissed me off because I was going to power slide it around and come out sideways on purpose...but it just made me look like a fucking fool when it made all these funky antilock brake sounds and straightened me out.
Ha ha. You got owned by the electronic nanny.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
I haven't tripped the AEB on the Ranger yet but my wife has tripped it in her Nissan. Modern tech is a good thing when it works. I'm still waiting for my fully autonomous robot truck.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Not Cruise Control, Curve Control which is a standard feature on new Ford Rangers.

"Curve Control is designed to sense when a vehicle is entering a corner too quickly — a condition drivers are most likely to encounter when entering or exiting freeways — and automatically but selectively apply "smart" four-wheel braking while reducing engine torque in a way that dramatically increases the chance of maintaining full control."
Weird. Only place my 2019 manual mentions "Curve Control" is where it talks about curve control being disabled if you select "Sand" mode in "Terrain Control"?

Note: The curve control portion of the
AdvanceTrac® system is unavailable when
you select Sand or Mud/Ruts. If the system
becomes inoperable, selecting some modes
may not be possible and a message
displays. If it becomes inoperable due to a
system fault, all of the mode indicators on
the control turn off and one of the following
messages appears in the information
display:

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I came in hot to a corner, it was a 90 degree with big trees, dash lit up, scared the crap
out me, bells & whistles too! Music & light show, kinda like at a concert.
Also, turned off the lane assist, what a pain.

Reactions: Doc

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Lane keeping is highly annoying. Had to turn it off.
I actually like it, though sometimes it kicks in when I don't want it and I have to fight it. On my drive to work there is a stretch of road that's been under construction for what seems like a decade. Always changing lane positions every other week. One glance over your shoulder looking for idiots and you're on the edge of the lane. Lane assist kicks in and nudges you back.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I ask myself about the Pre Collision Warning with AEB. Sure, I see the flashes of the self check on start up but how do
I know it will work when needed?
Well, today I found out. I was driving home on city streets, doing about 35. Apparently the guy ahead of me doesn't like center turning lanes, so he came to a quick stop in the traffic lane in order to make a left into a business. The PCW flashed and beeped rapidly to alert me of the car ahead. It happened so fast that I don't know if I was quick on the brake or the AEB reacted, but I avoided a rear end collision. That would have ruined my week seeing as I have had my Ranger for only 10 days.

Now to test the Curve Control.
I had a similar experience shortly after taking delivery of my 2019 Lariat. The thing reacts faster than we can, that's for sure. Like you, I cannot be sure that it actually prevented an accident, because I might have stopped in time anyway, but it is good to know that we have this system, and that it works!

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
I've also had early warnings when someone stops suddenly in front of me, but haven't yet gotten to the point of assisted braking (that I can tell, anyway).

The lane keeping, though, is very useful for me. I wonder if there is some variability in how well it works between vehicles, since so many people turn it off due to it being annoying. I've found no annoyance with it so far, and have very much appreciated how well it works.
(I do have it set to the more sensitive settings though.)
Sponsored