t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
That tune already exists, it's found below the knee
The turbo is spooling at 1800rpm to nearly full boost, there's not a whole lot you can do to stop it. I know you can be light on the pedal, but in anticipation of harder pedal push the truck will most certainly run crazy rich each small push of the pedal. My idea for a tune would make it lean out considerably, and only start to get rich when approaching the 3000rpm threshold for MOAR BOOST!
Sponsored

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
I'm getting 22mpg and have been getting that from day 1 until now 2000 miles later. Doesn't matter the gas. To and from work (no faster than 65mph), I've got a bit of stop and go, some long downhill and level areas, but it's the 7 mile or so steady climb both ways that really kills it. That's not bad, but after all the talk of gas mileage magically increasing after 1000 miles and premium also increasing miles, I figured I'd be sitting around 25.

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
Add me to the list of those disappointed in mileage. My commute is 90% city driving with a quick stint on I-4 and I've only been able to manage about 18.7 mpg. Don't start any BS about it being my "lead foot" either as this number is based on easy driving with light acceleration. I've done a few runs without worring about fuel mileage and the number dives into the 17 mpg range. If I make trip on the highway it does great (26+ mpg) but it is of little use Don't get me wrong, I love the truck; I'm just disappointed in this area.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
The turbo is spooling at 1800rpm to nearly full boost, there's not a whole lot you can do to stop it. I know you can be light on the pedal, but in anticipation of harder pedal push the truck will most certainly run crazy rich each small push of the pedal. My idea for a tune would make it lean out considerably, and only start to get rich when approaching the 3000rpm threshold for MOAR BOOST!
A turbocharger runs off the exhaust generated by the engine, so it doesn't consume any extra fuel to run (unlike a supercharger, which saps power directly from the engine). And it forces more air into the cylinders, which means the fuel will burn cleaner, and generate more energy. Which means for any given power rating, you need to push in less fuel than a naturally aspirated engine. So for the same amount of power, and consequently speed, you need to burn less fuel.
It's kind of like tuning....you put a turbo on a small engine, you get more power. The extra power is there because the fuel going into the cylinders gets more air to burn. So, for example, if you need an 85 bhp engine for a small hatchback, you go for a naturally aspirated 1.2L engine or a turbocharged 0.8L engine. Both will pull equally well, but the 0.8L will be consume less fuel.

All this means, higher mileage, and lower emissions (since less fuel is burning cleaner). Since emission norms are tightening every day, and with governments giving tax breaks to low emission vehicles, more manufacturers are turning to forced induction as a cheap, reliable and established way of making engines

Jeffrey

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I got 18mpg before I put 18” Fuel rims with Toyo tires I still get 18mpg, 3,000 miles. Not quite what I expected, but still love my Ranger.

7ABC2FA5-971F-4AEB-98B7-31D715024182.jpeg

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Add me to the list of those disappointed in mileage. My commute is 90% city driving with a quick stint on I-4 and I've only been able to manage about 18.7 mpg. Don't start any BS about it being my "lead foot" either as this number is based on easy driving with light acceleration. I've done a few runs without worring about fuel mileage and the number dives into the 17 mpg range. If I make trip on the highway it does great (26+ mpg) but it is of little use Don't get me wrong, I love the truck; I'm just disappointed in this area.
has much more to do than light acceleration. The truck is capable.

I have not reset my avg since I left the dealer 1,800 miles ago.

display is currently at 26.3 mpg. that is a mix of city and country 2 lane. only around 100 miles have been highway. The truck is capable.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

display is currently at 26.3 mpg. that is a mix of city and country 2 lane. only around 100 miles have been highway. The truck is capable.
Going up and down hills quickly reduces mileage - even with a light foot. I was surprised when I took a trip a few weeks ago down the valley (where it is pretty flat) - I got 27 MPG on that trip of almost 100 miles. But my "normal" mileage going up and down hills is around 21-22 - that is country roads with some stop and go and some highway driving.

When I go hiking and go from 500' to 4000' elevation the MPG on the way in goes down - and then it comes back up on the way back down. It doesn't usually come back up to where it was when I started but it does go back up on the way down - mostly because I'm basically coasting downhill most of the way.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I filled up about 2 weeks ago and the first 5-7 days most of my jobs were around 10-12 miles away and the mpg's were around 22.6. The last week I've been working close to home,literally 1-2 miles away and a few trips to the store in between and it's only dropped to 21.4 mpg. With all these short stop and go trips I'm still very satisfied with the mpg I'm getting and can't wait to finally take it out on a long trip.

Thursday will be one month since purchasing the truck and I only have 570 miles on it :frown:. At this rate my first oil change will be next summer!

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Ok.....thought i peaked at 26.2.....
Im sure it will come down once the winter hits. Winter mix cost me about 2 mpg in the F150.

20190820_173315.jpg

Mcoop57

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4X4, 2016 Honda Goldwing, 2017 Volkswagen GTI
Occupation
Retired
I am surprised at how many of you take the computers word for what you’re getting for mileage.
It’s bound to have some “wishful thinking algorithmic bru-ha-ha” programmed in. Be sure to check it occasionally with the trip meter, gas pump and a calculator. Unless of course you just don’t want to be disappointed perhaps.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
My truck computer has a difference of +.6 from hand calculations and you can actually adjust your computer to read exactly.

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
A turbocharger runs off the exhaust generated by the engine, so it doesn't consume any extra fuel to run (unlike a supercharger, which saps power directly from the engine). And it forces more air into the cylinders, which means the fuel will burn cleaner, and generate more energy. Which means for any given power rating, you need to push in less fuel than a naturally aspirated engine. So for the same amount of power, and consequently speed, you need to burn less fuel.
It's kind of like tuning....you put a turbo on a small engine, you get more power. The extra power is there because the fuel going into the cylinders gets more air to burn. So, for example, if you need an 85 bhp engine for a small hatchback, you go for a naturally aspirated 1.2L engine or a turbocharged 0.8L engine. Both will pull equally well, but the 0.8L will be consume less fuel.

All this means, higher mileage, and lower emissions (since less fuel is burning cleaner). Since emission norms are tightening every day, and with governments giving tax breaks to low emission vehicles, more manufacturers are turning to forced induction as a cheap, reliable and established way of making engines
Because, science. :sunglasses:

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase

With all due respect, your truck may be capable, mine is not be that a product of the truck or my commute. Your country two lane roads are probably a major factor in your mileage. I understand the multiple input variables and light throttle is just one. I'm happy for you that you have seen those numbers but this is text book YMMV.

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
With all due respect, your truck may be capable, mine is not be that a product of the truck or my commute. Your country two lane roads are probably a major factor in your mileage. I understand the multiple input variables and light throttle is just one. I'm happy for you that you have seen those numbers but this is text book YMMV.
This has been my experience as well. Currently sitting around 17.7mpg (computer) with this tank, very light acceleration, no WOT hard pulls, Auto stop/start ON, and monitoring the instant fuel gauge. All mostly city commuting. I still think its a great truck, but 20mpg in the city isn't happening for me. I'm glad if other people can get it, but I have to assume that its based on geography, road type, traffic ect.

Edited to add Auto stop/start is on

Last edited:

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
It's kind of like tuning....you put a turbo on a small engine, you get more power. The extra power is there because the fuel going into the cylinders gets more air to burn.
No. With the turbo, you get more power because pushing more air into the cylinders allows you to also push more fuel into the cylinders. Thus, you aren't get more complete combustion of the same amount of fuel, but combustion of more fuel.

But wait there's more! Since you're actively pushing more air into the cylinder and injecting more fuel, you're increasing the cylinder pressure. This increases the risk of pre-ignition. One strategy to avoid such pre-ignition (not sure if this is Ford's approach?) is to make the mix a little bit fuel-rich, thus making the combustion a little less efficient.
Sponsored