First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 4x2
Occupation
Construction Worker
I just got my Ranger this month and I am loving it. I have the lights turned on to auto so whenever it's dark they come on and I don't have to think twice about it, but a few times, I will just be driving and I can see perfectly fine but the truck just puts the high beams on even though I don't need them and it just ends up blaring the people in front of me. Any suggestions or is there a setting for this?
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
mine seems to not flip to high when i wish it would and then does just in time to make me look like an ass with his highs on when they shouldnt be. maybe forscan has some tweeks in it for the auto high beams.

sandog

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab Hot Pepper
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
When set on auto, the headlights will go high beam whenever I'm are out in the open and the sensors don't detect headlights coming at me.
When some one is heading toward me, even quite a distance away, the lights will dim.

My system works well. As I approach a town and don't want to have my high beams kick in going thru town, I just reach down and turn the headlight selector from auto to "on".
Once out of town and back in the country, I switch back to auto.

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
I just got my Ranger this month and I am loving it. I have the lights turned on to auto so whenever it's dark they come on and I don't have to think twice about it, but a few times, I will just be driving and I can see perfectly fine but the truck just puts the high beams on even though I don't need them and it just ends up blaring the people in front of me. Any suggestions or is there a setting for this?
You can turn the auto high beam function off by pushing the turn signal lever away from you and releasing. One push will manually turn on the high beams (the A symbol goes off on you driver display). A second push turns off the high beams but keeps the function in manual mode. A third push will go back to auto mode.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Yeah, i do a lot of highway driving. The auto highbeams have always acted a little quirky. I wish i could leave them on but..........

I just turned off the auto high beam and turn them on the old fashioned way. Just dont forget to turn them off with an oncoming car!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Mine work pretty well - I've not had instances where it DIDN'T turn off when it needed to, but I've had plenty of instances where it did turn off needlessly. On mine, it seems to error on the side of caution. Not only will oncoming lights turn them off, but taillights (or what it thinks is taillights - sometimes reflections from signs will trigger it) will also turn them off. With that said, I love the auto high beams feature and it has worked well for me - not perfect, but well. As others have said, if you don't like it, you can easily turn it off.

BiilyJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I think the auto high beams were slightly smarter on my 2020 escape.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
They are a bit quirky.

Again, I wished they worked like my Wife's Mazda. Hers are auto dimming. So they only turn off then back on automatically. You have to iniate the initial on, which I prefer.

Marpater

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Consulting
Looks like you have done some mods to your Ranger, Leveled? could it be that the sensor needs to be recalibrated? My Ranger has no issues what so ever with the auto high beams, it acts as the ones in our Lincoln the Edge.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Besides Auto lights to begin with you also what you have what's known as Auto high beam. At a stop going to the settings menu on your instrument cluster and you can turn this off

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Mine work pretty well, except it needs to pretty dark before they start working. On backroads I need to look for eyes and need the brights on well before the autodim starts working. \

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Mine do great now, but when I first got the Ranger, if it was dusk, the lights would dim and brighten frequently because it didn’t seem able to tell if it was dark or light. Made me a nervous wreck one evening while driving behind a car on a deserted road. I know they thought I was messing with them.:oops: I finally turned the knob to manual until it was totally dark.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Mine do great now, but when I first got the Ranger, if it was dusk, the lights would dim and brighten frequently because it didn’t seem able to tell if it was dark or light. Made me a nervous wreck one evening while driving behind a car on a deserted road. I know they thought I was messing with them.:oops: I finally turned the knob to manual until it was totally dark.
Sou ds like your light sensor was getting intermittent light on it and you were going between DRLs and low beams. Not much you can do but what you did. :rockon:
Sponsored