First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I would assume the harness but I am curious as to what you are trying to accomplish

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Is it more common practice to tap it somewhere in the harness, or just tap the line right before the bulb socket?
They are all in the wire loom behind the left headlight , right beside the battery on my Lariat . I tapped the park lights there.

park lights.jpg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Going to tap a triggering line to my spot light relays.
With that said Stedi does have a plug in harness that should work. Be aware you also have to have another harness with it to work. Another member tried and went straight to the lights but I don't believe it worked.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
With that said Stedi does have a plug in harness that should work. Be aware you also have to have another harness with it to work. Another member tried and went straight to the lights but I don't believe it worked.

I don't see why it would not work. All a trigger line for a relay is, is juice to complete the circuit with the relay. Technically I could make it so my spot lights come on everytime I press the brake pedal. lol

I am curious what the problem was, because from a basic electrical standpoint there should be nothing to prevent it.

I'll be running a one way diode in my harness so I can still use the spots on a regular switch without triggering the high beams and so they don't back feed each other.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I don't see why it would not work. All a trigger line for a relay is, is juice to complete the circuit with the relay. Technically I could make it so my spot lights come on everytime I press the brake pedal. lol

I am curious what the problem was, because from a basic electrical standpoint there should be nothing to prevent it.

I'll be running a one way diode in my harness so I can still use the spots on a regular switch without triggering the high beams and so they don't back feed each other.
I can't say how the other guy had it wired up. Using it for like a relay or something else you would think it would be fine. If anything Stedi uses a little module for the signal circuit

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Those quick tap type connectors in the picture above, they are considered to be a poor way to tap into a circuit, I would suggest a proper crimp connection with sealing heat shrink.

The amount of times electrical problems are traced back to one of those would surprise you, at least it's under the hood, somewhat protected, but it is the headlight circuit, don't want a problem with that one.

Just look at the pic, nice sealed connectors, to prevent problems, last a long time, and then there is the tap......

Just my 2 cents, feel free to disagree.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I stay away from those splice taps. It takes almost no time to make a proper 2 to 1 connection with self soldering heat shrink butt splices.

I love these things:

ea-fa8b22f49189_1.f5dd26730b59e42b4b05ad9925ef224c.jpg

If it is a harness that requires multiple inputs I invest in a junction box like this:

IMG_20220121_053800.jpg

IMG_20220228_181302.jpg
Sponsored