First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I don't know where the LED bulb haters are coming from in here. My 2019 XLT has the normal reflector housings. I have replaced both my high and low beams and my fogs lights all with LEDs and they have provided a WORLD of difference as far as visibility on the road. I have stood in front my truck with the new lights in at several different differences and there is no appreciable gain in glare, only an appreciable color temperature difference. Replacing these bulbs were the very first thing I did to my truck when I bought it and it's the best thing I ever did on it. I have a girl friend who has the exact same truck but hasn't changed out her bulbs and side by side it is almost comical how awful her halogens looks compared to mine. My beam spread is almost exactly the same as stock, but the light is brighter and whiter and provides so much better visibility. I would never ever go back.

I don't know if the haters on here are simply installing them wrong, getting the wrong ones... or if they work for the halogen bulb makers, but swapping in LEDs for ALL your lighting is one of the best things you can do.

And no... it's not illegal to put LEDs in a reflector housing. That's just ridiculous.
You are mistaken my friend... Or enemy... Whichever works.

Drop in led bulbs are NOT DOT compliant what so ever. It is one thing if a reflector housing is designed for led lights like some new headlight assemblies but other then that projectors are the only thing that are DOT compliant is full replacement assemblies like Alpharex.
Sponsored

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
You are mistaken my friend... Or enemy... Whichever works.

Drop in led bulbs are NOT DOT compliant what so ever. It is one thing if a reflector housing is designed for led lights like some new headlight assemblies but other then that projectors are the only thing that are DOT compliant is full replacement assemblies like Alpharex.

Can you point me to where in the motor vehicle laws this is spelled out?

I'm not sure where you're getting confused here, but it's not that reflectors have to be designed for LED bulbs. It's that the LED bulbs are DESIGNED FOR REFLECTOR HOUSINGS. That's usually how after market parts work.

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
Idk why some of the people in here at hating at people for upgrading their lights and getting mad at them. Be mad at Ford for making shit halogen lights in 2021 on 30k$ + trucks

No shit. I love the way my truck looks, but the evening I drove it home from the dealer, I knew replacing those awful halogens would be the very first thing I'd do. They were disgusting and I don't know how anyone keeps them in their vehicle. I was almost ashamed driving my truck with them in. Ford really needs to do better there.

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
The auxito 12k's work great in the stock housing. Things have improved over the last 10 years where a lot of people would put HID's in stock housings. I bought the below bulbs for the high/low/fogs. I documented the before and after, and the cutoff / hotspots ect are same to stock.

There is no unwanted glare, scattering, ect. Simply an improvement in light output. I parked the truck in the same spot in front of my garage for each install to test the output, then put it out on my street and stood in front of both. No unwanted glare and I'm very sensitive to other people's headlights so I didn't want to be a dick.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TQLGGBR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WMG43QJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Can you point me to where in the motor vehicle laws this is spelled out?

I'm not sure where you're getting confused here, but it's not that reflectors have to be designed for LED bulbs. It's that the LED bulbs are DESIGNED FOR REFLECTOR HOUSINGS. That's usually how after market parts work.
Here you go!! Have fun!!

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...s-reflective-devices-and-associated-equipment

I should also add that DOT compliant headlamps and bulbs have DOT numbers on them. Chances are your drop in LED bulbs do not have said numbers.

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
Here you go!! Have fun!!

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...s-reflective-devices-and-associated-equipment

I should also add that DOT compliant headlamps and bulbs have DOT numbers on them. Chances are your drop in LED bulbs do not have said numbers.

Not sure what you THINK that was, but that was a petition by Toyota to allow for adaptive headlight systems to be considered legal. There's only a couple mentions of LEDs in that and they both refer to the LED arrays within the adaptive systems.

Regardless... that entire thing is NOT a law. It's a register of safety standards that car companies apply to.

Sooo... anything else?

Having "DOT compliant" bulbs and there being a law against using LEDs in reflector housings are two totally different things.

Please stop throwing out misinformation to try and make your argument look valid. It doesn't help anyone on here.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It's a pointless argument. The same people claiming that LED retrofits don't have excessive glare tend to be the same ones determined to get LED lights because they can't see their own headlights over the glare from other people's crappy LED drop-ins.

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
The auxito 12k's work great in the stock housing. Things have improved over the last 10 years where a lot of people would put HID's in stock housings. I bought the below bulbs for the high/low/fogs. I documented the before and after, and the cutoff / hotspots ect are same to stock.

There is no unwanted glare, scattering, ect. Simply an improvement in light output. I parked the truck in the same spot in front of my garage for each install to test the output, then put it out on my street and stood in front of both. No unwanted glare and I'm very sensitive to other people's headlights so I didn't want to be a dick.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TQLGGBR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WMG43QJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have the same exact ones. They look great. Great beam pattern. Great bright white light. And I really think the fog lights are just about the same brightness as the headlights, which is great. I hate when people have their fog lights brighter than their headlights. It just looks dumb.

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
It's a pointless argument. The same people claiming that LED retrofits don't have excessive glare tend to be the same ones determined to get LED lights because they can't see their own headlights over the glare from other people's crappy LED drop-ins.

Way to say... well... nothing. Thanks.

SchoolZoneSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4

Do these lights fit under the factory dust seal covers?

Thanks

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I don't know where the LED bulb haters are coming from in here. My 2019 XLT has the normal reflector housings. I have replaced both my high and low beams and my fogs lights all with LEDs and they have provided a WORLD of difference as far as visibility on the road. I have stood in front my truck with the new lights in at several different distances and there is no appreciable gain in glare, only an appreciable color temperature difference.

Replacing these bulbs were the very first thing I did to my truck when I bought it and it's the best thing I ever did on it. I have a girlfriend who has the exact same truck but hasn't changed out her bulbs and side by side it is almost comical how awful her halogens looks compared to mine. My beam spread is almost exactly the same as stock, but the light is brighter and whiter and provides so much better visibility. I would never ever go back.

I don't know if the haters on here are simply installing them wrong, getting the wrong ones... or if they work for the halogen bulb makers, but swapping in LEDs for ALL your lighting is one of the best things you can do.

And no... it's not illegal to put LEDs in a reflector housing. That's just ridiculous.

Here are the bulbs I used. They've been in a year now with no problems. No one has EVER flashed their lights at me.
This isn't a subjective thing. It's science, real measurable numbers. Not eyeballing it, the problem with eyeballing is that everybody's eyes and perception are different.

Read the article I linked to above. Try to educate yourself.

Idk why some of the people in here at hating at people for upgrading their lights and getting mad at them. Be mad at Ford for making shit halogen lights in 2021 on 30k$ + trucks
Nobody is mad at anybody.

Some of us drive rolling blenders around all night and would like to see the road is all. It really boils down to basic common decency. When I see drop-in LEDs coming my way, yes you CAN tell, my first thought is "another selfish, cheap, asshole on the road."

The flip side of your cost argument is this. You spent $30k+ on a truck, you can't swing $900 for some quality light upgrades?

I don't understand what's so bad about asking others to be aware of how their quest to "ball on a budget" effects others.

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
This isn't a subjective thing. It's science, real measurable numbers. Not eyeballing it, the problem with eyeballing is that everybody's eyes and perception are different.

Read the article I linked to above. Try to educate yourself.

Nobody is mad at anybody.

Some of us drive rolling blenders around all night and would like to see the road is all. It really boils down to basic common decency. When I see drop-in LEDs coming my way, yes you CAN tell, my first thought is "another selfish, cheap, asshole on the road."

The flip side of your cost argument is this. You spent $30k+ on a truck, you can't swing $900 for some quality light upgrades?

I don't understand what's so bad about asking others to be aware of how their quest to "ball on a budget" effects others.

Except... we DIDN'T just spend $30,000 on a truck. We spent $1000 down and are making payments. Did you buy your truck with cash? Cuz I didn't. I bought LEDs that were $40 a piece and make a world of difference when driving at night.

I'm sorry your eyes are sensitive at night. That's not my problem, though. My problem is that I want to see better with where I am driving. And LEDs are MUCH more effective at helping with that. Certainly more effective that any halogen can do. If that's what you consider being selfish... well... I can't help ya, then.

If you expect me to make a choice between trying to take your sensitive night-driving eyes into consideration for the 5 seconds that I'm passing by you and my own safety in seeing the entire time I'm driving... yeah... it's not even close what I'm gonna pick.

Perhaps, if your eyes are that sensitive to headlights at night, you shouldn't be driving at night? Just a thought.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Except... we DIDN'T just spend $30,000 on a truck. We spent $1000 down and are making payments. Did you buy your truck with cash? Cuz I didn't. I bought LEDs that were $40 a piece and make a world of difference when driving at night.

I'm sorry your eyes are sensitive at night. That's not my problem, though. My problem is that I want to see better with where I am driving. And LEDs are MUCH more effective at helping with that. Certainly more effective that any halogen can do. If that's what you consider being selfish... well... I can't help ya, then.

If you expect me to make a choice between trying to take your sensitive night-driving eyes into consideration for the 5 seconds that I'm passing by you and my own safety in seeing the entire time I'm driving... yeah... it's not even close what I'm gonna pick.

Perhaps, if your eyes are that sensitive to headlights at night, you shouldn't be driving at night? Just a thought.
It's not that he has sensitive eyes, it is the fact that drop in LED lights will cause glare in halogen housings(aka reflector housings).

Trust me im making payment on my truck to and i plan on putting way more money into it then most would think. One of the thibgs i did was put the AlphaRex headlights in and I will tell you they are far superior compared to drop in LED lights!! How do they compare to the Lariat head light assemblies? Couldnt tell you as I haven't had a chance to compare but I still suspect the AlphaRex may be above the Lariat assemblies at a much lower cost!!
Sponsored