First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
It's not that he has sensitive eyes, it is the fact that drop in LED lights will cause glare in halogen housings(aka reflector housings).

Trust me im making payment on my truck to and i plan on putting way more money into it then most would think. One of the thibgs i did was put the AlphaRex headlights in and I will tell you they are far superior compared to drop in LED lights!! How do they compare to the Lariat head light assemblies? Couldnt tell you as I haven't had a chance to compare but I still suspect the AlphaRex may be above the Lariat assemblies at a much lower cost!!

I have looked at the front of my truck for a long time when my headlights are on and I just don't see anything wrong with it. Are my LEDs brighter? Sure. But it's not anything I haven't already seen on the road myself. The brightness and the higher color temperature, for me, are far superior to any halogen out there and I didn't have to spend much to get them. The LEDs are MADE for reflector housings. The beam pattern is the exact same. It's just a slightly brighter light and a much whiter light. I will never drive a vehicle with halogens again. And unless you want to pay for me to upgrade to whatever your setup is, then it doesn't make any sense to me to go any further than what I have now. They look great and they work great.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I have looked at the front of my truck for a long time when my headlights are on and I just don't see anything wrong with it. Are my LEDs brighter? Sure. But it's not anything I haven't already seen on the road myself. The brightness and the higher color temperature, for me, are far superior to any halogen out there and I didn't have to spend much to get them. The LEDs are MADE for reflector housings. The beam pattern is the exact same. It's just a slightly brighter light and a much whiter light. I will never drive a vehicle with halogens again. And unless you want to pay for me to upgrade to whatever your setup is, then it doesn't make any sense to me to go any further than what I have now. They look great and they work great.
I know it is hard to believe you will ever deal with it but just wait until you drive through snow with the drop in LED lights!! You will hate it!!!

Also believe what you want but there is no LED drop in that is designed for reflector housings as each assemblie is different!!

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
I know it is hard to believe you will ever deal with it but just wait until you drive through snow with the drop in LED lights!! You will hate it!!!

Also believe what you want but there is no LED drop in that is designed for reflector housings as each assemblie is different!!
I live in Arizona. When am I going to drive through snow? Maybe someday... but until then, I will be safer on the road because I can see better.

If the LED isn't designed for the reflector housing, then why is the beam pattern the exact same as the stock halogens were?

If you've never used LEDs in your vehicle, then I'm guessing you don't really know what you're talking about. You can be mad all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that the LEDs are just better and perfectly fine to use. I just don't know why you're so mad.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I live in Arizona. When am I going to drive through snow? Maybe someday... but until then, I will be safer on the road because I can see better.

If the LED isn't designed for the reflector housing, then why is the beam pattern the exact same as the stock halogens were?

If you've never used LEDs in your vehicle, then I'm guessing you don't really know what you're talking about. You can be mad all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that the LEDs are just better and perfectly fine to use. I just don't know why you're so mad.
That is where you are incorrect sir.... I did run drop in LED lights in my truck for quite a while. Were they brighter? Absolutely. Did they go further? Not really. Did they produce glare? You bet your ass they did!! Oh and god forbid I drive in snow as the snow would reflect sonbad that I could nor see shit!!! When I got the AlphaRex lighrs(Luxx series to be exact) the different beam pattern was way better and focused!! Have I driven in the snow with them? Yes i have and I dont run into the same issue. Is there glare? Thankfully no..... Well unless i turn my brights on but then again that is if no one is around. Light distance? Far batter than what you have. I gor to do thus Sunday night and lets just say there was no chance of a deer surprising me!! If you want to get proff come on up here to Colorado(that is if you arent afraid of below 80°) and see a comparison of what you have compared to what I have and see the real difference!!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Except... we DIDN'T just spend $30,000 on a truck. We spent $1000 down and are making payments. Did you buy your truck with cash? Cuz I didn't. I bought LEDs that were $40 a piece and make a world of difference when driving at night.

I'm sorry your eyes are sensitive at night. That's not my problem, though. My problem is that I want to see better with where I am driving. And LEDs are MUCH more effective at helping with that. Certainly more effective that any halogen can do. If that's what you consider being selfish... well... I can't help ya, then.

If you expect me to make a choice between trying to take your sensitive night-driving eyes into consideration for the 5 seconds that I'm passing by you and my own safety in seeing the entire time I'm driving... yeah... it's not even close what I'm gonna pick.

Perhaps, if your eyes are that sensitive to headlights at night, you shouldn't be driving at night? Just a thought.
Where did I say I have "sensitive eyes?"

You can try to justify it all you want. But just like the retired cop who wants to pull a fifth wheel with his Ranger, you're acting like a cheap, selfish brat.

Regardless of your situation, cash or financed, doing it right is cheap compared to your truck.

There are ways to upgrade your lighting cheaply, safely, AND effectively. But by your "fuck everybody else on the road" attitude that doesn't matter.

Perhaps if your eyesight is so poor that your stock halogens can't cut it, you should have bought a Lariat? Or perhaps stop driving at night.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
It's not the same. It may look so to your eye. But believe it or not your eye is not calibrated.

Again, it's science. Read the link I posted earlier in the thread.

Last edited:

Dollar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL STX 4x4, Focus, Mustang, F150, MC's
Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Just ordered some, thanks for all the testing and pics!

I drive at night often and when a passing car comes by I don't stare at their headlights. You should look at the fog line on your right, it will help keep your eyes adjusted to the night.
Are you getting glare because your windshield is dirty?

Here is the info on the new LED bulbs I ordered
  • Same beam pattern with original halogen bulbs. The size and position of the LED chips are close to the filament in the halogen bulbs, so the H11 LED bulbs work well in the headlight housings, no dark spot and no blinding oncoming vehicles
Good Luck out there fellow Ranger Owners!

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Time for the moderator to shut this thread down. It stopped being useful sometime in page 2, and turned into an argument no one will win. Thankfully it has so far remained fairly civil.

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
It's not the same. It may look so to your eye. But believe it or not your eye is not calibrated.

Again, it's science. Read the link I posted earlier in the thread.
Sooo... what a person can see on the road doesn't matter?

Yeah... that's what I figured you meant. It doesn't matter the real world application, right? You just want to be correct.

No thanks. I will go with the real world here and what I can see. My LEDs are great and they're staying. And most everyone else thinks they are, too.

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
Where did I say I have "sensitive eyes?"

You can try to justify it all you want. But just like the retired cop who wants to pull a fifth wheel with his Ranger, you're acting like a cheap, selfish brat.

Regardless of your situation, cash or financed, doing it right is cheap compared to your truck.

There are ways to upgrade your lighting cheaply, safely, AND effectively. But by your "fuck everybody else on the road" attitude that doesn't matter.

Perhaps if your eyesight is so poor that your stock halogens can't cut it, you should have bought a Lariat? Or perhaps stop driving at night.

Sure. You can whine all you want, dude. But the fact remains that you apparently are the only one worried about this. My LEDs are great. They look great and they aren't bothering anyone. So, you can mind your own business. If you think it's selfish to want to be safer on the road by being able to see better, then... well... I don't know what to tell ya, man. I'm sticking with my own safety. Thanks.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sooo... what a person can see on the road doesn't matter?

Yeah... that's what I figured you meant. It doesn't matter the real world application, right? You just want to be correct.

No thanks. I will go with the real world here and what I can see. My LEDs are great and they're staying. And most everyone else thinks they are, too.
I said before you need to come up here to Colorado and actually do a comparison between your LEDs and the proper projector LEDs. Give me a list of the difference you get between the two. I can guarantee you what you have is giving glare and is blinding others and is not cool.

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
I said before you need to come up here to Colorado and actually do a comparison between your LEDs and the proper projector LEDs. Give me a list of the difference you get between the two. I can guarantee you what you have is giving glare and is blinding others and is not cool.
And I guarantee they are not.

Sorry to disappoint you.

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
That is where you are incorrect sir.... I did run drop in LED lights in my truck for quite a while. Were they brighter? Absolutely. Did they go further? Not really. Did they produce glare? You bet your ass they did!! Oh and god forbid I drive in snow as the snow would reflect sonbad that I could nor see shit!!! When I got the AlphaRex lighrs(Luxx series to be exact) the different beam pattern was way better and focused!! Have I driven in the snow with them? Yes i have and I dont run into the same issue. Is there glare? Thankfully no..... Well unless i turn my brights on but then again that is if no one is around. Light distance? Far batter than what you have. I gor to do thus Sunday night and lets just say there was no chance of a deer surprising me!! If you want to get proff come on up here to Colorado(that is if you arent afraid of below 80°) and see a comparison of what you have compared to what I have and see the real difference!!

No thanks. My headlights are just fine. You do you. I'll keep doing me. They look great and I know they aren't bothering anyone any more than any other headlights.

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
I don't know where the LED bulb haters are coming from in here. My 2019 XLT has the normal reflector housings. I have replaced both my high and low beams and my fogs lights all with LEDs and they have provided a WORLD of difference as far as visibility on the road. I have stood in front my truck with the new lights in at several different distances and there is no appreciable gain in glare, only an appreciable color temperature difference.

Replacing these bulbs were the very first thing I did to my truck when I bought it and it's the best thing I ever did on it. I have a girlfriend who has the exact same truck but hasn't changed out her bulbs and side by side it is almost comical how awful her halogens looks compared to mine. My beam spread is almost exactly the same as stock, but the light is brighter and whiter and provides so much better visibility. I would never ever go back.

I don't know if the haters on here are simply installing them wrong, getting the wrong ones... or if they work for the halogen bulb makers, but swapping in LEDs for ALL your lighting is one of the best things you can do.

And no... it's not illegal to put LEDs in a reflector housing. That's just ridiculous.

Here are the bulbs I used. They've been in a year now with no problems. No one has EVER flashed their lights at me or complained.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WMG43QJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TQLGGBR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
What happens with the DRL's? And will the dust covers fit back on? Thanks.