First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
damn . i hope you can keep them out. i wonder if one of those ultrasonic things would work
Sponsored

ttrucks

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
Hey everyone, wanted to see if anyone has any tips for a recent issue.

I just moved to a new place (condo with shared parking area) which has lots of pine trees. This fall I noticed the red squirrels had started putting pinecones, leaves and pine needles in the engine bay of the Ranger (XLT without Engine Cover). I have to take a shop-vac to the top of the engine every 2 weeks.

I just had a terrible time taking all the leaves out of the cabin air filter as well.

I put mothball bags in the engine bay, but does anyone have suggestions besides adopting a cat? Any idea if I need to add mesh somewhere to keep them from entering the cabin air area?
when I lived in NJ we I used WD40 that seemed to work for us
and my Mom lived Maine and we would do the same there good luck hope this helps ..
PS: all the off topic commentary is great

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

I just moved to a new place (condo with shared parking area) which has lots of pine trees. This fall I noticed the red squirrels had started putting pinecones, leaves and pine needles in the engine bay of the Ranger (XLT without Engine Cover). I have to take a shop-vac to the top of the engine every 2 weeks.

I just had a terrible time taking all the leaves out of the cabin air filter as well.

I put mothball bags in the engine bay, but does anyone have suggestions besides adopting a cat? Any idea if I need to add mesh somewhere to keep them from entering the cabin air area?
Who would have thought that red squirrels were Ford guys? Next thing you know, they'll be wanting to join the forum...

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Thread brings back some memories. I had a pet squirrel when I was a kid. Over time you find out just how smart these little critters are. Not much they can’t figure out. If they want in they’re getting in for sure.

2 options, have a heart trap and take them about 25 miles away in a place where plenty of water and trees. Hopefully they’ll stay there.

Or option 2 a cat. They don’t mix and will definitely relocate. Even if you borrowed a friends for like 3 weeks. They’ll be gone. Dogs don’t work, they taunt them! ?
One thing for sure...I never knew that squirrels can take a 3 story landing and keep ticking...love how it's tail was keeping it stable in flight and screaming, "OSH@TOSH%TOSH#T"...

Last edited:

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Who would have thought that red squirrels were Ford guys? Next thing you know, they'll be wanting to join the forum...
Imagine the upgrade suggestions we'd get from them...

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
steel wool maybe? i know it will keep mice out. but keep it away from any spark it will kick off a fire quickly.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
No @AzScorpion , not the hoe you’re thinking about ?
This exchange reminds me of something my seventh-grade teacher used to say: "Boys, get your minds out of the gutter!" (I confess, I was one of the "gutter-minded" boys...)

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
This exchange reminds me of something my seventh-grade teacher used to say: "Boys, get your minds out of the gutter!" (I confess, I was one of the "gutter-minded" boys...)
Was my mom your teacher? ?

N559br

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Retired
I looked under my rear seat last week to get my moving blanket out. I found a mouse had decided that it was a great nesting spot this is a daily driven vehicle, so he was a cheeky bloke So now, I keep one of the green mouse poison traps in mine, under the rear seat, but under the hood would work as well.

Craig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Pepper it hurts their little nose
Sponsored