jlarrabee104

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone, wanted to see if anyone has any tips for a recent issue.

I just moved to a new place (condo with shared parking area) which has lots of pine trees. This fall I noticed the red squirrels had started putting pinecones, leaves and pine needles in the engine bay of the Ranger (XLT without Engine Cover). I have to take a shop-vac to the top of the engine every 2 weeks.

I just had a terrible time taking all the leaves out of the cabin air filter as well.

I put mothball bags in the engine bay, but does anyone have suggestions besides adopting a cat? Any idea if I need to add mesh somewhere to keep them from entering the cabin air area?
Sponsored

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I should put these up along my fence where some asshat occasionally jumps my fence in the middle of the night. My doorbell cam has spotted him hike himself up and over, using my handrail like a step ladder. He’s likely the same jerk that broke into my shed. This ought to be an unwelcome surprise when he doesn’t see them in the dark because I’ve painted them black. :bandit:

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
There are other threads about squirrels. I myself trap them then they seem to commit suicide. LOL I used to relocate them but an exterminator told me that they can find there way back up to 17 miles. WOW. They love peanut butter and ritz crackers.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I should put these up along my fence where some asshat occasionally jumps my fence in the middle of the night. My doorbell cam has spotted him hike himself up and over, using my handrail like a step ladder. He’s likely the same jerk that broke into my shed. This ought to be an unwelcome surprise when he doesn’t see them in the dark because I’ve painted them black. :bandit:
Ha in your case, I'd drive some nails on top of the fence and cut them off at an angle...

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Hey everyone, wanted to see if anyone has any tips for a recent issue.

I just moved to a new place (condo with shared parking area) which has lots of pine trees. This fall I noticed the red squirrels had started putting pinecones, leaves and pine needles in the engine bay of the Ranger (XLT without Engine Cover). I have to take a shop-vac to the top of the engine every 2 weeks.

I just had a terrible time taking all the leaves out of the cabin air filter as well.

I put mothball bags in the engine bay, but does anyone have suggestions besides adopting a cat? Any idea if I need to add mesh somewhere to keep them from entering the cabin air area?
It may be gophers as well. I had the same thing happen camping with my motorcycle up in the MN Arrowhead (Judge CR Magney SP) Just after I turned in for the night, I heard some light rustling outside and concluded that it was probably just gophers, having seen several earlier in the day. Great trip! About a week after I got home, I was washing the bike, and when I removed the seat, every nook and cranny was filled with red pine cones that hadn't blossomed yet. Dozens of them. Some were squished, as I imagine the 13 striper had trouble getting some of them in under the locked seat. Rodents in general can squeeze themselves down into impossibly small sizes. Some find that dryer sheets or Fabreeze repel mice, dunno about squirrels or gophers.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Only problem Duke where you are you'd most likely be the one going to jail for doing this. :stop: ? Then the asshat that's jumping over your fence will be living it up in Dukes palace.:shock:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Only problem Duke where you are you'd most likely be the one going to jail for doing this. :stop: ? Then the asshat that's jumping over your fence will be living it up in Dukes palace.:shock:
He’s likely from the nearby homeless encampment at a nearby local park and because he’s homeless, they’d really side with him and probably give him my truck too. ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
He’s likely from the nearby homeless encampment at a nearby local park and because he’s homeless, they’d really side with him and probably give him my truck too. ?
? Seeing as they're giving everything away you'd better hide Mrs DukeCanBuildit at the lake house. o_O
Sponsored