First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
Okay, I get that a number of vehicles intentionally turn off recirculating the air after certain conditions are met. The usual reason given appears to be so that the glass doesn't fog up - though in 90F/32.2C weather that's a bit silly. The CO2 reason is equally silly unless it's to protect Ford from liability. And I get that Max A/C will override it - so long as I want the fans & compressor on full blast.

Here's the reason: For nearly the entire time I've owned my new Ranger, due to our location the air outside has been in the, "unsafe to breathe" range due to the many fires. Often really unsafe, like 200-300+ on 2.5ppm sites like PurpleAir. And I tend to get migraines from smoke, so you know...it would really nice to be able to force recirculate to stay on. There's also no reason to fill up the filter(s) with ash or stink up the brand new interior. Right now the outside of my truck looks like it was sprayed with that fake holiday window decoration snow in a can - except it's grey.

I've ordered a new OBDC dongle to see if FORScan can help as I'm no stranger to modifying embedded firmware, but is there really no known way to force recirculate to stay on?
Sponsored

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I have read that, even in recirculate mode, all cars still inhale 10-20% fresh air. It is never 100% recirculated.

OP
OP
ScrappyLaptop

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
I have read that, even in recirculate mode, all cars still inhale 10-20% fresh air. It is never 100% recirculated.
Well then the CO2 excuse is bunk; 10-20% is plenty to keep levels low enough to not act as an anesthesia.

I do know that in my spouse's 2019 Subaru we leave it on recirculate 100% of the time and don't smell the smoke. On the Ranger it's hard to tell because it switches back to open vent without notice, mixing the air. By the time we smell the smoke, it's too late; the cabin is already full of it. I've been avoiding driving the truck for the most part when the air is really bad, I really don't want a brand new truck that smells like a forest fire inside unless I have to.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
HEPA cabin filter? I don’t know if such a thing exists, but maybe improvised?

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know, but I have it on good "source" that a tailgate damper not only increases horsepower but keeps cabin air fresh as a daisy.:angel:

OP
OP
ScrappyLaptop

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
I don't know, but I have it on good "source" that a tailgate damper not only increases horsepower but keeps cabin air fresh as a daisy.:angel:
Okay, OT but I have to ask: What's with tailgate dampers on this forum???

(I mean, I'm not saying I DON'T want them...)

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Scrappy,

It is an inside joke on these forums between the Manly and not so manly (implied by if your installed a tailgate damper or not). So welcome to the forums...lots of helpful info and sometimes a bit of lightheartedness. Moderators do a pretty good job keeping the flaming out of the forums.

BTW...I have a tailgate damper installed...out of curiosity more than anything...I am still amused by it...Fun little thing, and easily removable if it does not suit your needs. Wife loves it as it helps her...She is approaching a very young 80 years old...Arms are getting weak...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase

It's like the old Miller Lite commercials-
one side says tastes great!
Other side says less filling!

Just some good natured ribbing, unless you want to be as strong as Olive Oil :lipssealed:

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
I'm not sure where you live around here, but at no point has the inside of my truck smelled like smoke at all and I never use recirculated air. The cabin air filter on the Ranger is inexpensive and easy to replace within five minutes or less so I'm not sure why that would be a concern either.

I just had my 20K service done at a local dealer today and, amazingly, they didn't even try to convince me that my cabin air filter or even my intake air filter needed to be replaced due to the local smoke/ash issues. When asked at pickup, they told me they're still good for now and don't need replacement. My better half's Grand Cherokee has recently stunk of smoke on the inside constantly whether you run recirculated air or not and I've changed the cabin air filter twice. I suspect some HVAC systems are just better designed than others.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Forscan only changes the asbuilt in the modules, which is essentially settings from other vehicles and models plus a few extra. It doesn't change the programmed logic of such devices. Thats the best way I can explain it, I am not a software/electrical guru.

As far as the recirculate: What about manually forcing the recirc blend door open in the hvac either by mechanical means or tapping into the actuator with a switch or controller of sorts? Then its 100% user controlled.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Jeeze, just wear a mask. And if you cant lower the very light tail gate then you need a little exercise, and you might even live longer. ?

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
CO2/O2. The average new home replaces inside air 3x/hour. Although vehicles today are much better ("tighter") than previous generations, in no way are they "air tight." CO2/O2 is not a concern. The main reason Ford has chosen to auto disable recirc after a time (I don't like it much either) is to reduce/eliminate the build up of mold in the HVAC system.

To the best of my knowledge no cabin filter will filter smoke particles:

90% of Wood smoke particles are smaller than 1 micron 0.00004
Bacteria (average) 2 microns 0.00008
Red Blood Cell 8 microns 0.0003
Talcum Powder 10 microns 0.0004
White Blood Cell 25 microns 0.001
Human Hair 70 microns 0.003
Grain of Table Salt 100 microns 0.004

According to Ford, their Motorcraft cabin filter:
  • Features multiple layers of filtering with an electrostatically charged layer that captures soot, smog and smoke
  • Protects HVAC components by helping limit dust, mold, spores, pollen and fungus
  • Captures 90% of particles 10 microns or larger (an average grain of beach sand is 200 microns) and helps reduce dust inside the vehicle
  • Rigid polyester spun bound frame helps ensures the filter maintains its shape
  • Filter media is formulated for high temperature efficiency
  • Meets Ford Engineering requirements for resistance to odor propagation and anti microbial properties
Here in WY we are having similar smoke issues, although not nearly as bad as those of you in CA. The viz off my deck is about 1/2 mile. There are 15 fires burning in western MT and more in eastern ID. Since our weather typically comes in from the NW....

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
Well then the CO2 excuse is bunk; 10-20% is plenty to keep levels low enough to not act as an anesthesia.

I do know that in my spouse's 2019 Subaru we leave it on recirculate 100% of the time and don't smell the smoke. On the Ranger it's hard to tell because it switches back to open vent without notice, mixing the air. By the time we smell the smoke, it's too late; the cabin is already full of it. I've been avoiding driving the truck for the most part when the air is really bad, I really don't want a brand new truck that smells like a forest fire inside unless I have to.

I think the Subaru just has a better filter -- my 19 outback also seems to be cleaner inside they really are great cars.....
Sponsored