Having a hard time ordering 2021

krane

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
Just tried to order a Ranger with Tremor package, told Tremor builds were delayed until further notice. Anyone get anything similar from their dealer?
Sponsored

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Thanks, replies inline below. Basically, i started with the same process...

1) Go onto Ford.com and build your truck - you can save your build.
<rest of the message, removed from quotes>
==> How did you build 2021? Only 2020 build tool is available; 2021 Ranger isn't even listed on their site, that I can tell.
Either way I used the tool to come up with a 2020 build closest to what 2021 would be

2) You can then use Ford's dealer finder to find the dealers within reasonable driving distance of your zip, and then select the one(s) you want (one-by-one, but it goes pretty fast).

==> Yeah, this is where I started. I sent these PDFs to the sales managers as well.

3) I sent that build out to 10 dealers near me, plus a couple over in the GCV (Madera, Hanford - just because I have purchased from them before).

==> Same here.

4) 70% of them called within an hour and said they had exactly my truck in stock and when could I come in to buy it. My build is pretty non-standard, so I would ask them to send me a pdf or pic of the window sticker. Those contacts got ruled out pretty quickly as they gotta make 2020 sales.

==> They had 2021 in stock already?
That's surprising. All of the dealers I talked with only had 2020.
I think my build is non-standard, so special order is needed.

At the end of the day, you'll end up talking with the fleet manager anyway, so it might be faster to just call and ask to speak with him/her and then send over the pdf of your build if they're willing to work with you.

==> Good idea. Some other people also suggested directly talking to the fleet manager, so I'll give that a shot as well.

Good Luck :)

==> Thanks for the thoughts

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
" How did you build 2021? Only 2020 build tool is available; 2021 Ranger isn't even listed on their site, that I can tell. "

so doesnt this answer your question on why you're getting fluffed off of a 2021?
I was under the impression from you, that the ordering was open for 2021's

if its not....no wonder no one wants to...because theres nothing for them to do until it is open.
All dealers have internal tools to order 2021; that's how people have been ordering 2021 for 1-2 months now. But the public Ford tool isn't updated for 2021; not sure when it'll be updated.

and please, fulfill our curiosity, you keep repeating you have a non standard build...what exactly makes yours the white elephant? are you getting dual DZ dampers done at the factory??
Sure. I only repeat it when people ask why I don't get a 2020, that the configuration isn't available :)
To me it didn't seem super non-standard, but for some reason I can't find:

XLT, supercab, FX2, 302A package, tech package, blue, (and some other things).
Usually the in-stock vehicles include some combination of supercrew, 4x4, lariat, don't include 302A or the tech package, or doesn't include FX2 but only diff locker, etc.

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
1) Go onto Ford.com and build your truck - you can save your build.
how did you work around the fact that 2020 Rangers are still listed on build site?

edit - I am having the same problem as the original poster. Might just be this crazy year, but they sure want to sell me a crewcab even though I start off with "4wd Lariat supercab". Sorry for the duplicate question.
2020 rangers.PNG

Last edited:

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Oh, and Costco.com do not have a certified dealer for the Ranger in range - the F-150 dealer is in Morgan Hill, but didn't want to work with me on the Ranger.
Since when? I can assure you I bought mine through Costco and was connected with Livermore Ford who completed the sale. Unless Livermore Ford screwed up and lost their deal with Costco, I can't imagine why it wouldn't still be them.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Since when? I can assure you I bought mine through Costco and was connected with Livermore Ford who completed the sale. Unless Livermore Ford screwed up and lost their deal with Costco, I can't imagine why it wouldn't still be them.
Hi Jeff,

Morgan Hills is noted for their garlic olive oil...not Rangers.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
" How did you build 2021? Only 2020 build tool is available; 2021 Ranger isn't even listed on their site, that I can tell. "

so doesnt this answer your question on why you're getting fluffed off of a 2021?
I was under the impression from you, that the ordering was open for 2021's

if its not....no wonder no one wants to...because theres nothing for them to do until it is open. selling you a 2020 is the top priority...go sit on your couch and wait a little longer.

and please, fulfill our curiosity, you keep repeating you have a non standard build...what exactly makes yours the white elephant? are you getting dual DZ dampers done at the factory??
Take a breath and calm down mate ;)

2020 ordering stopped weeks (or likely months) ago. I believe 2021 ordering opened up in September.

I ordered my 2021 in late October, for similar reasons as the above member. The dealer I wanted to buy from did not have a Ranger in stock that meets my desired color(s), options, etc. If you are spending $40-45K MSRP for a vehicle, why not get exactly what you want?

Last edited:

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Hi Jeff,

Morgan Hills is noted for their garlic olive oil...not Rangers.
Hey Phil, I'm Jason. ?

Yeah I've bought my F-150s from Morgan Hill, but they basically had no interest in working with me on the Ranger buy and that was before I even went to the Costco method.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Phil, I'm Jason. ?

Yeah I've bought my F-150s from Morgan Hill, but they basically had no interest in working with me on the Ranger buy and that was before I even went to the Costco method.
Hi Jason,

Spent time in a RV park there over the years. Wife's son lived close to there....loved the Costo for the Garlic Oil Oil they sold. Bought 12 or more and gave them away as gifts to our friends. Alas...we have no more so had to go to Amazon for these tiny bottles for big bucks...sigh....

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
I don't think the 2021MY have started building yet.

My dealer only had 1 Ranger in stock in early Nov so you might have better luck at a store with no inventory (and no desire to bring it in !)

I'd factory order anyway. So, I'd say a I only wanted a '21 and if pressed give a non starter, like it or lump it reason (promised the wife, etc). otherwise they might want to make a deal on something else - not interested.

Another suggestion is trying the services of an auto broker.

The email route isn't working, gotta do something different. Again, maybe needs a phone call, IDK.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think the 2021MY have started building yet.
This thread discusses the 2021 schedule - short answer:

2021 Ranger dates:

Ordering begins September 14, 2020
Production begins December 7, 2020

So yes, the 2021s have not started being produced quite yet - a week from today they will start.

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
This thread discusses the 2021 schedule - short answer:

2021 Ranger dates:

Ordering begins September 14, 2020
Production begins December 7, 2020

So yes, the 2021s have not started being produced quite yet - a week from today they will start.
Thx, I thought that had been bumped.

I'm a Tremor candidate anyway so I'm holding off ordering myself. But for the OP it shouldn't matter, folks have been ordering Broncos for months !
Sponsored