RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
As long as nothing is getting damaged in the transmission when it downshifts hard, I can live with it trying to "catch up" to my throttle actions. I also haven't hit 3K miles yet so the 10-speed is still learning my driving style.

Ultimately I would like Ford to reprogram this transmission behavior however.
It seems weird - the majority of the shifting seems to be REALLY smooth. On my test drive it was exceptionally smooth - so smooth sometimes I hadn't even realized it shifted - and many of the reviews commented the same thing. Wonder what the specific circumstances that trigger this hard downshift? It would be nice to get it fixed so that it smooth shifts in all circumstances.

OC4095

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Factory Automation Engineer, Auto School Grad, Car Audio Tech
Vehicle Showcase
I've experienced the same. Seems to downshift hard sometimes. The 10 speed seems a little clunky in my opinion. It could very well just be the mapping of it. I'm overly sensitive to things like this though.

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150
I've experienced the same. Seems to downshift hard sometimes. The 10 speed seems a little clunky in my opinion. It could very well just be the mapping of it. I'm overly sensitive to things like this though.
I didn't end up buying a Ranger and instead picked up a leftover 2018 F150 Lariat SE with the 3.5L Ecoboost and 10 Speed. Love the truck, but the transmission shift logic is not good. It's very rough and unrefined. They have a TSB for the F150s to update the PCM calibration for these issues, but my truck was built after the cutoff date. Compared to the 10 Speed auto that was in my 2017 Camaro ZL1, Ford has royally screwed up the shift characteristics. In the ZL1, it was smooth and not clunky what-so-ever.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
I didn't end up buying a Ranger and instead picked up a leftover 2018 F150 Lariat SE with the 3.5L Ecoboost and 10 Speed. Love the truck, but the transmission shift logic is not good. It's very rough and unrefined. They have a TSB for the F150s to update the PCM calibration for these issues, but my truck was built after the cutoff date. Compared to the 10 Speed auto that was in my 2017 Camaro ZL1, Ford has royally screwed up the shift characteristics. In the ZL1, it was smooth and not clunky what-so-ever.
I am thinking there might be just a wee bit of difference between the transmission handling 600 lb ft of NA torque vs the 4 cyl turbo in the ranger.

I noticed that down low there isnt much power to go frim accelerating using a light pedal to a but more to scroll up the turbo caused it to drop at least a couple gears.

that was just a test drive so have to see what its like if i get mine built and delivered this year.

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I am thinking there might be just a wee bit of difference between the transmission handling 600 lb ft of NA torque vs the 4 cyl turbo in the ranger.

I noticed that down low there isnt much power to go frim accelerating using a light pedal to a but more to scroll up the turbo caused it to drop at least a couple gears.

that was just a test drive so have to see what its like if i get mine built and delivered this year.
I went on a road trip this weekend and had the opportunity to do a larger variety of driving. Some of the downshifts are VERY rough, or at least for a brand new vehicle. It usually happened when light on the throttle and going up a hill and when coasting to a slower speed then lightly getting back on the throttle, like when coasting up to a red light. Under hard acceleration it did great, smooth and quick scroll through the gears. Low power shifting seems to be where it happens.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I went on a road trip this weekend and had the opportunity to do a larger variety of driving. Some of the downshifts are VERY rough, or at least for a brand new vehicle. It usually happened when light on the throttle and going up a hill and when coasting to a slower speed then lightly getting back on the throttle, like when coasting up to a red light. Under hard acceleration it did great, smooth and quick scroll through the gears. Low power shifting seems to be where it happens.
Wonder how many miles you have on your truck now? And what was the build date? Wondering if it might smooth out after 1000 miles or so - the transmission is supposed to "learn".

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Wonder how many miles you have on your truck now? And what was the build date? Wondering if it might smooth out after 1000 miles or so - the transmission is supposed to "learn".
I have about 1300 miles on it and the VIN is A03xxx.... so I think the build was within when the applicable range for the TSB regarding reprogramming the shifting. RangerDanger said he was going to have this done, curious if it made a difference?

For normal driving the transmission has smoothed out a bit. I used to a get a vibration when accelerating from stop lights and up hills, like the transmission was stuck in too high a gear and didn't want to downshift.

OP
OP
rangerdanger

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I have about 1300 miles on it and the VIN is A03xxx.... so I think the build was within when the applicable range for the TSB regarding reprogramming the shifting. RangerDanger said he was going to have this done, curious if it made a difference?

For normal driving the transmission has smoothed out a bit. I used to a get a vibration when accelerating from stop lights and up hills, like the transmission was stuck in too high a gear and didn't want to downshift.
It made a huge difference. My Ranger finally feels smooth when shifting. I’d recommend you get the TSB done.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
It made a huge difference. My Ranger finally feels smooth when shifting. I’d recommend you get the TSB done.
Glad you got that sorted.

This site is certainly super helpful to new Ranger owners. *If* mine ever gets built, there is going to be a lengthy list to go through :)

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Hopefully they'll get mine done by tomorrow while they have it for the bed liner.
Sponsored