Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Let's see, how do you manufacture an electric vehicle to do the comparable work of today tomorrow?
Sponsored

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Count me in, just not right now.

As of today there aren't EVs that fit my need (and budget) and most of that is down to the current battery tech/efficiency vs ICE - especially under heavy loads. Engineering Explained on youtube did a great breakdown in the difference in efficiencies while towing with ICE vs EV.

However there isn't a massive leap forward in battery tech that needs to take place before EV really makes sense though. Even now they are quite good for commuter/car but for a truck; I need range while towing and very rapid charging before I can replace my Ranger with an all EV truck but I expect when that time comes (10ish years) I will shopping EV.

I love EV torque, I'd love to "refill" in my garage and I'd love to never have to replace oil, transmission fluid, vacuum hoses and blah blah blah ever again.

Edit: Just want to add - this is more about EV in general. I'm really not a fan GM so likely will still avoid their brand even when I'm EV shopping.
It will be interesting to see how the new electric f150 and cybertruck do with "truck" stuff. Yes electric vehicles lose alot of range when towing but seems the new rangers lose about 1/2 of their mpg when towing as well.

Tesla's V3 supercharging can give full charge in about 30 - 40 mins. the technology will only continue to get better

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
As I recall, a while back their customers pulled the plug ? for them on their vehicles/business... then the gubment bailed out GM (among others; Ford took a loan to level the playing field) with our tax dollars. Note that GM now stands for Government Motors, and even though GM announced that they paid back the debt in full, they were actually not even close.
that's correct - the US taxpayer (us if you live in the USA) took at least a $10B hit when the gov sold their shares of GM stock - this at a time when GM had recovered to the extent of having billions of cash reserves, but GM did meet it's obligations in terms of the agreement - which raised some questions about how the bailout was structured.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
The big thing holding back more electric vehicles being produced is lack of batteries. even tesla making their own batteries doesn't have enough. Then you have the charging infrastructure that basically only Tesla has figured out.

Going on a long trip in an electric vehicle does add extra time to charge vs filling up with gas, but the trade off is never pumping gas during your normal daily commute.

A tesla with 300 mile range contains same energy as about 2.25 gallons of gas. Overall electric cars are more efficient and would lower energy production needs if more people were driving one.
Point well made. Internal combustion engines are known for being inefficient. Mining ⛏ for raw materials necessary to build batteries for electric ⚡ vehicles ? poses hazards to both those mining the materials and the environment.

I’m sure that there are environmental impact studies regarding electric vehicles, though that’s research I’d need to conduct another time.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
It will be interesting to see how the new electric f150 and cybertruck do with "truck" stuff. Yes electric vehicles lose alot of range when towing but seems the new rangers lose about 1/2 of their mpg when towing as well.

Tesla's V3 supercharging can give full charge in about 30 - 40 mins. the technology will only continue to get better
it's in cold weather/climates that presents a challenge to EV range. but Teslas are really fast vehicles.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
that's correct - the US taxpayer (us if you live in the USA) took at least a $10B hit when the gov sold their shares of GM stock - this at a time when GM had recovered to the extent of having billions of cash reserves, but GM did meet it's obligations in terms of the agreement - which raised some questions about how the bailout was structured.
Thanks for the correction, much appreciated.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Point well made. Internal combustion engines are known for being inefficient. Mining ⛏ for raw materials necessary to build batteries for electric ⚡ vehicles ? poses hazards to both those mining the materials and the environment.

I’m sure that there are environmental impact studies regarding electric vehicles, though that’s research I’d need to conduct another time.
heck ya. current battery tech isn't great and there are lots of new and improved things coming that will reduce need for rare earth elements.

There is also lots of hazards from drilling for oil as well as storing/shipping and so on.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
heck ya. current battery tech isn't great and there are lots of new and improved things coming that will reduce need for rare earth elements.

There is also lots of hazards from drilling for oil as well as storing/shipping and so on.
Absolutely!

Just wanted to point out that electric vehicles aren’t all rainbows ? and unicorn ? farts ? lol

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
As I recall, a while back their customers pulled the plug ? for them on their vehicles/business... then the gubment bailed out GM (among others; Ford took a loan to level the playing field) with our tax dollars. Note that GM now stands for Government Motors, and even though GM announced that they paid back the debt in full, they were actually not even close.
I'm aware of their history. What's your point? Are you purporting that GM is beholden to the government more than their shareholders?

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
We all know this is coming for every car company. Is electric the answer, Im not convinced, but it seems the direction everyone wants to go. The amount of energy it takes to produce our current electrical needs is unreal. Then you add every vehicle using that same grid. We need a new fuel that can be man made and friendly. Maybe they can figure hydrogen out, but if you have all those vehicles spitting out water how will that effect the environment? Maybe underground Nuclear Plants, but that still sounds unsafe. I think technology will save the energy ideas as we continue to make things require less energy to work. I can see our future of running house hold lights and things like that through wireless current.
I absolutely will miss the gas engine and pushing them as far as we have. The sounds, the smells,the challenge, but I cant be naive and think this is not changing. Every generation is guided to electric more and more, the interest in vehicles is not the same for us as the future. Indeed we will lose some history with the future, but this will also get us closer to space. That is our destination IMO.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We'll see. Saying something is going to happen and making it happen are two different things. Otherwise, we'd have been metric since 1980.

Also, range is a HUGE issue and one that rarely gets reported as it does not fit the narrative. When I can drive an EV nonstop from SLC to Tucson then we'll talk.

Last edited:

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
The only thing holding the human race back is electricity/batteries. We could do almost anything if we could power it properly.
Sponsored