Matsterious

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
I've only had it on for a week now so I can't comment on it's longevity. They do give you extra tape so that's a good thing and I guess you could always get some Gorilla Tape if needed. The clarity is really very good on this one both from and rear. They're on sale right now here with $100.00 off for Fathers Day. I used the ODB power cable so it was a quick easy install but if you're going to ever get the battery packs I would hardwire it.
Thanks! I'm going to get it. I bought a roll of 3M double sided tape when I moved my tonneau *sp cover from my 2020 ranger to my 2021 to tape the seals back down and it worked great. I'll just use that tape it it ever fails. I do garage park at home and work now so I don't think heat will be as big as an issue as it use to be.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Matsterious

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've only had it on for a week now so I can't comment on it's longevity. They do give you extra tape so that's a good thing and I guess you could always get some Gorilla Tape if needed. The clarity is really very good on this one both from and rear. They're on sale right now here with $100.00 off for Fathers Day. I used the ODB power cable so it was a quick easy install but if you're going to ever get the battery packs I would hardwire it.
Does the ODB cable plug into the ODB computer port? if so, what is the benefit of that?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
No worries I live with a grammar nut, but what did I say twice?
speed
/spēd/

noun
1. the rate at which someone or something is able to move or operate.
Speed is already a rate.

Thankfully not full on nazi yet, just a few that really bother me.

Thanks for being a good sport! Carry on.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Does the ODB cable plug into the ODB computer port? if so, what is the benefit of that?
Yes it plugs right into the ODB port. For me it was a quick clean instal without having to hardwire. It will also allow you to use the parking mode as the ODB has constant power where the 12v will turn off after 15-20 minutes. I added the parking module and set the settings to economy mode or whatever it's called. You can read more about it here. I wasn't going to get it at first but glad I did as it's a great feature and will save draining your battery without having to buy additional battery packs.

Some pictures of my set up:

IMG_4197.jpg

IMG_4196.jpg

IMG_4219.jpg

OP
OP
Matsterious

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow! Thanks for all that information. Whats another $500 spent on the Ranger lol at least this $500 is a form of insurance! Can this cam notify you if you car is hit while you are parked or do you just pull the video after you see you have been hit?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Wow! Thanks for all that information. Whats another $500 spent on the Ranger lol at least this $500 is a form of insurance! Can this cam notify you if you car is hit while you are parked or do you just pull the video after you see you have been hit?
That's where the Blackvue is better. With this one the only way to get notifications is to have it connect to a wifi hotspot. We do have one in our Ranger so you could always connect it with that one through AT&T if needed. There is a micro SD card which saves everything to that. It only comes with a 32 gb card so I bought this one which is the highest you can use in the cam. With the Blackvue it works over LTE so you can get instant ones. I figured the clarity of the Thinkware would be more handy than the instant notifications.

Here's a good comparison video which helps show the difference between them.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This guy does good honest non paid reviews. You can click on his name and search through his videos for some on the Blackvue.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Told you I'm OCD and research things to death! lol I was going to buy a cheap $100.00 cam on Amazon but once I started looking into them there is a big difference. Plus I had some help in the dash cam thread from @Gunza who had already done his share of research.

OP
OP
Matsterious

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Told you I'm OCD and research things to death! lol I was going to buy a cheap $100.00 cam on Amazon but once I started looking into them there is a big difference. Plus I had some help in the dash cam thread from @Gunza who had already done his share of research.
That's the benefit of this forum.. i can leverage the OCD people instead of wasting my money. I'm pretty impulsive so it's nice to talk to knowledgeable people. But to this day the best think i bought for my ranger is the center console tray.. it was also the cheapest thing I have bought for the truck lol

i'm going to be watching those videos on my lunch break.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That's the benefit of this forum.. i can leverage the OCD people instead of wasting my money. I'm pretty impulsive so it's nice to talk to knowledgeable people. But to this day the best think i bought for my ranger is the center console tray.. it was also the cheapest thing I have bought for the truck lol

i'm going to be watching those videos on my lunch break.
I'm also a firm believer of "buy once cry once". I've bought my share of cheap things over the years and most times have regretted not spending the extra buck right up front. Usually it'll cost more in the end so I'd rather do without and save until I can get something of good quality now. Like you said the dash cam is just added insurance and can really save you money one day in a "he said, she said" instance.

The console tray was one of the first things I bought for mine and it's been one of the most useful purchases. Well beside the damper of course but that wasn't out at the time. ?

OP
OP
Matsterious

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm also a firm believer of "buy once cry once". I've bought my share of cheap things over the years and most times have regretted not spending the extra buck right up front. Usually it'll cost more in the end so I'd rather do without and save until I can get something of good quality now. Like you said the dash cam is just added insurance and can really save you money one day in a "he said, she said" instance.

The console tray was one of the first things I bought for mine and it's been one of the most useful purchases. Well beside the damper of course but that wasn't out at the time. ?
I like that belief!

I live in the heart of Houston and driving to work is a mess. I actually lowered my deductible on my insurance b/c I just feel it's a matter of time before I get in an accident. Now I need to beef up my cams incase the accident isn't my fault and somebody is trying to get out of a ticket.

My wife was hit a year ago due to a teenager looking down at her phone. She crashed into the back of my wife who was making a turn into our neighborhood. She admitted it was her fault and we had the cops come to do a report. Her family showed up and questioned us on why we called the police. We obviously told her to get a report of what happened. Well we went to file a claim on their insurance and low and behold they didn't admit fault to the accident. They wouldn't answer their own insurance companies phone calls. It was for the police report that insurance finally moved forward.

Another example, my friend was at an ATM Machine (I said machine just to bug that one guy who has pet peeves) and the person in front of him put went in reverse and hit my friend. He told the cops my friend hit him.. luckily the ATM "machine" cameras showed the accident.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I like that belief!

I live in the heart of Houston and driving to work is a mess. I actually lowered my deductible on my insurance b/c I just feel it's a matter of time before I get in an accident. Now I need to beef up my cams incase the accident isn't my fault and somebody is trying to get out of a ticket.

My wife was hit a year ago due to a teenager looking down at her phone. She crashed into the back of my wife who was making a turn into our neighborhood. She admitted it was her fault and we had the cops come to do a report. Her family showed up and questioned us on why we called the police. We obviously told her to get a report of what happened. Well we went to file a claim on their insurance and low and behold they didn't admit fault to the accident. They wouldn't answer their own insurance companies phone calls. It was for the police report that insurance finally moved forward.

Another example, my friend was at an ATM Machine (I said machine just to bug that one guy who has pet peeves) and the person in front of him put went in reverse and hit my friend. He told the cops my friend hit him.. luckily the ATM "machine" cameras showed the accident.
Yeah it's sad that some people just cant be honest anymore. Another nice feature (and I'm sure they all have this) is the ability to turn on/off voice recording. So if something does happen and that person gets confrontational with you and starts cussing it will pick all that up too. In the case with your wife it probably would've picked the teen admitting it was her fault. Glad it worked out in the long run.

MikeyTX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Lariat Supercrew; '21 MX-5 Miata
Occupation
Retired Military/Law enforcement
My issue with both of those models is how it attaches to the windshield. I had one that taped on in the past and the heat just destroyed the tape. My current one is horrible clarity but it is suction cup which if it falls, I just stick it back up. How has the tape held up on the Thinkware?
That is interesting. The ones Bestbuy installed never came loose in our summer heat

OP
OP
Matsterious

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is interesting. The ones Bestbuy installed never came loose in our summer heat
I did by a cheap one.. I'm going to give this a shot. All the good dash cams seem to tape on.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
question......with the forward crash detection "camera" is there footage available if the air bags deploy that can be accessed my LEO's/insurance to prove fault or no fault?

I bought a cheaper dashcam an never even hooked it up. Maybe the earlier ones weren't "user friendly"

Maybe I'll try a more current one
Sponsored