Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
For the front, I'm bucking the trend.

I've installed a pair on FX fronts using my original springs on my RWD '19.

Definitely eased the harshness in the front suspension.

Now the backs, I'm 100% with the crowd and ditched the ones on my wife's FX4. Poor rebound control.
I had the Bilstein 5100’s put on the rear of my FX4 last week and it’s a big improvement as widely reported. However, after a few days of driving, it’s obvious how soft the FX fronts are too. Not sure if I’ll put the 5100’s on the front yet, since replacing only on the rears is good compromise, but I’m pretty confident that putting the 5100’s on the front would be better.
Sponsored

OP
OP
2020 DS Ranger

2020 DS Ranger

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Retired USAF 1987-2007, Vol. Asst. Chief
Thank all that convinced me to upgrade and not be cheap on my shocks. the EIBACH's installed fine and the ride is awesome. My wife and I just got home from a 2000+ mile trip to Florida. She was extremely happy with how the ride felt. Not one issue and checked everything once I got to my dad's and all was tight. I checked it all again once I got back and I am very pleased I did not go for the FX4 shocks. thanks again.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I must have gotten a defective set of FX4 shocks, zero issues or complaints with them after 40k miles. On highway, off road, towing, you name it.
Most complaints are about them being soft. They function great. I only consider changing mine out because I want to level the front. I think it rides just fine.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Most complaints are about them being soft. They function great. I only consider changing mine out because I want to level the front. I think it rides just fine.
I have my truck leveled, with tires one size up, and never felt like the stock shocks are too soft. I drive the hell out of my truck too, both on and off road. It doesn't handle like a BMW M3 or anything but at the end of the day it is a truck. I donno, haha.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I disagree. Why do I disagree? Well when Fox states that you need to rebuild the shocks every 10,000 miles when doing 50/50 on and OffRoad the cost becomes way too much to justify. Even Old Man EMU has a warranty for 3 years 36,000 miles. Just looking at it for an overall cost standpoint.
I read a Fox article that said street use should get you 50,000 miles before a rebuild be necessary. Could go longer if nothing is leaking and they’re holding their charge.

VengeanceWithin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
I got that same Eibach kit, I love it! Ride is so much better than stock. I had a hard time deciding on what to go with but the Eibachs were a lil cheaper and made in my hometown of Corona, CA. I don’t think there’s a wrong choice though as pretty much anything is better than the stock setup.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I got that same Eibach kit, I love it! Ride is so much better than stock. I had a hard time deciding on what to go with but the Eibachs were a lil cheaper and made in my hometown of Corona, CA. I don’t think there’s a wrong choice though as pretty much anything is better than the stock setup.
Guys, I put the Ford/Fox kit on, which vastly improved the street ride, but now I am wondering if I could make it even better by adding a pair of Bilstein shocks to the rear. Here is the shock I am looking at (from the American Trucks website). I would want to leave the foxes in the front but replace those in the back with these without significantly lifting the rear. Has anybody done this? Would it make a noticeable difference in the ride? Would it wreak havoc with vehicle dynamics, void my warranty, or something equally awful that I have not thought of yet?

Bilstein B8 5160 Series Rear Shock for 0 to 2-Inch Lift(19-21 Ranger)
Item FR5423
bilstein.jpg

Save
FR5423?$prodpg640x480$.jpg

• FR5423?wid=80&hei=60&op_usm=0.jpg
  • FR5423_alt1?wid=80&hei=60&op_usm=0.jpg

Call a Ranger Enthusiast at 1-888-706-1096
M-F 8:30A-11P, Sat-Sun 8:30A-9P

Star_5.png
3 Reviews
Market Price $241.50 You Save 13% ($31.50)
Our Price
$210.00 (each)
FREE Shipping
or as low as $19/mo with Affirm
see how much you prequalify for

FITS SELECTED VEHICLE
2019 2.3L I4 EcoBoost Ranger

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
This is the 3rd or 4th time I've read the FX4 suspension as soft... What does that mean and how it translate to a "bad" ride??? I understand daily driver mode and off-road (other than when I drive on my lawn) have different shock/strut performance requirements... just not sure what desired performance for real off-road (not hard core) shocks/struts is generally.

Stock XL/XLT vs FX4 I would have expected the FX4 to be firmer, so "softer" is throwing me off. Would have also thought that the FX4 would make the ride "stiffer", thus the rough ride complaints.

And I ask all this, ironically, as this weekend I am switching out the FX4 shocks/struts for the Bilstein 5100s at stock height, as I do think the FX4s are a little harsh for a DD.

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
This is the 3rd or 4th time I've read the FX4 suspension as soft... What does that mean and how it translate to a "bad" ride??? I understand daily driver mode and off-road (other than when I drive on my lawn) have different shock/strut performance requirements... just not sure what desired performance for real off-road (not hard core) shocks/struts is generally.

Stock XL/XLT vs FX4 I would have expected the FX4 to be firmer, so "softer" is throwing me off. Would have also thought that the FX4 would make the ride "stiffer", thus the rough ride complaints.

And I ask all this, ironically, as this weekend I am switching out the FX4 shocks/struts for the Bilstein 5100s at stock height, as I do think the FX4s are a little harsh for a DD.

When they say " soft " they mean not up to the task of stopping movement in your suspension. When you hit a bump if deflects MORE ( cause the shock didn't slow the movement change enough ) and then when it heads the other way and should stop movement at neutral it overshoots and needs to come back one more time. You get extra movement that you don't want, especially noticeable in side to side. A lot of folks describe that as " boat like " from the non stop movement and car sickness it can hasten/create. Some folks don't mind, they would likely never get sea sick regardless of how bad the seas were. It's still more pleasant when it's calm and smooth.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
When they say " soft " they mean not up to the task of stopping movement in your suspension. When you hit a bump if deflects MORE ( cause the shock didn't slow the movement change enough ) and then when it heads the other way and should stop movement at neutral it overshoots and needs to come back one more time. You get extra movement that you don't want, especially noticeable in side to side. A lot of folks describe that as " boat like " from the non stop movement and car sickness it can hasten/create. Some folks don't mind, they would likely never get sea sick regardless of how bad the seas were. It's still more pleasant when it's calm and smooth.
OK, makes sense... but as shock options go, is the consensus the follow:
Stock XL/XLT = softest
FX4 = firmer but still too soft
Fox2/Bilstein/Eibach = not soft, but the correct, desired firmness (depending on which model shock you choose)

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
OK, makes sense... but as shock options go, is the consensus the follow:
Stock XL/XLT = softest
FX4 = firmer but still too soft
Fox2/Bilstein/Eibach = not soft, but the correct, desired firmness (depending on which model shock you choose)
There is a thread with an unscientific comparison for various shocks, softest to firmest. It should be easy enough to find in the suspension forum.

added: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/rear-shock-comparison.9308/

Last edited:

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
There is a thread with an unscientific comparison for various shocks, softest to firmest. It should be easy enough to find in the suspension forum.

added: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/rear-shock-comparison.9308/
Yes, unfortunately, mostly based on the F150 experience by Stage3. quangdog's experience was more telling but again, all in a off-road context. As a DD on paved roads (pot holes not withstanding) I would still like a modicum of comfort vs teeth rattling go kart stiffness. I fear the Belstein 5100s I am installing may be going in the wrong direction for me.... just may have to keep the FX4s.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Yes, unfortunately, mostly based on the F150 experience by Stage3. quangdog's experience was more telling but again, all in a off-road context. As a DD on paved roads (pot holes not withstanding) I would still like a modicum of comfort vs teeth rattling go kart stiffness. I fear the Belstein 5100s I am installing may be going in the wrong direction for me.... just may have to keep the FX4s.
I can only speak for my experience with road driving. The FX4s were a bit floaty. Not bad, but I felt it was a bit bouncy. I installed the Eibach pro trucks on the rear only, and the ride is now pretty good. Not teeth rattling. I can tell that the front is still sort of bouncy, but not as bad as what the rears were with the FX4. I would have gotten the bilsteins but they were out of stock at the time. I think you might be surprised.
Sponsored