OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Just trying to help you to troubleshoot the issue.... did you check your wife's cell phone to see who she has been calling? :sunglasses:

Back on track... Sounds like you need to go to a different dealer. The guys you're dealing with seem inept and/or dishonest, either of which doesn't play in your favor..

We're learning we have that issue with our local Ford shop also.
:LOL:

Ya I definitely agree, problem is that we are about 2 hours from the next nearest dealer, and even they are owned by the same people... I figure Ford Corporate might be my best bet if these guys don't get it figured out. I just hate that I got so unlucky, I absolutely love the truck otherwise.

If it turns out nothing else is wrong, I will definitely remove the catch can and see what happens. I am just hesitant because it was such a pain to install in the first place.

I really do appreciate the help! I just felt like I needed to explain my reasoning for not thinking it is the catch can, but who knows, maybe I'm just stubborn and there really is something to your theory.
Sponsored

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
if you let the crankcase fill with the gas again then pay a different dealer to "change the oil" but let the service know you want the used oil measured by dipstick and volume when drained. maybe tech would smell the gas and sound off a alarm for you!? sucks you going through this without dealer feeling its a problem.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
:LOL:

Ya I definitely agree, problem is that we are about 2 hours from the next nearest dealer, and even they are owned by the same people... I figure Ford Corporate might be my best bet if these guys don't get it figured out. I just hate that I got so unlucky, I absolutely love the truck otherwise.

If it turns out nothing else is wrong, I will definitely remove the catch can and see what happens. I am just hesitant because it was such a pain to install in the first place.

I really do appreciate the help! I just felt like I needed to explain my reasoning for not thinking it is the catch can, but who knows, maybe I'm just stubborn and there really is something to your theory.
No worries...

Your comments ring true here also. The closest 2 dealers are owned by the same guy. We had a guy doing some work at our house about a month ago and he said "Don't get anything worked on there in the afternoon, I know most of the tech''s there and they get high at lunch".

And ya know, I don't think the dealer issues is just a Ford thing either. On our Tacoma I had new struts put on the front at a Toyota dealership. They "forgot" to put cotter pins in the castle nuts, rounded over the tie rod nut and the steering wheel was crooked. Then, the more I dug into dealerships I never did find one that had good reviews.

Crazy.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I'd definitely call Ford Corporate, and send them the UOA. Keep tabs of change date, pictures of the dipstick, and then do the same picture after a week or so. Send this all to corporate, and let them know the dealer refused to acknowledge the issue. Make sure you drop the dealer name.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Any update to this?
I took it into the dealer again a few weeks ago, this time they did another injector buzz test (don't see how that's gonna find a leaking injector, but whatever) and a relative compression test (I was glad they did that one). Nothing came back abnormal. They drove it about 15 miles to see if the oil level increased, which they said it didn't (I don't know how you'd ever be able to see an increase in just 15 miles using a measuring device as crude as a dipstick though...)
They said to drive it 500 miles and take it back so they can see that the oil level has gone up, and they won't accept my oil analysis as proof there is fuel contamination. I'm only at 200 miles now, I just don't drive it often.

My bet right now is on the high pressure fuel pump. I was looking at the shop manuals and it would be very easy for one bad seal to cause gasoline to go straight down into the engine via the camshaft. The relative compression test proves that it isn't a piston ring, and if it was an injector leaking into a cylinder you would think I would get misfires on initial start up. So I'll bring that up when I go back in. I just hope it gets figured out before I travel for Christmas...

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
So I just completed a 1200 mile drive from Michigan to South Dakota. I noticed towards the end of the trek, about 1100 miles/17hours in, a strong fuel/oil smell. This last stretch, the truck was working pretty hard to maintain 80mph against a 30mph headwind on the rolling plains of SoDak.

I stopped for fuel about 30 miles from my destination and popped the hood, and the smell definitely originated from my engine compartment. Confirmed again this morning in the driveway. No signs of fuel or oil leaks. I'll plan to check and change the oil tomorrow. I suspect it is full and fuel diluted like the OPs.

And for what it's worth, I'm 100% stock, and the truck drives fine with good power and fuel economy, just smells really bad.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
So I just completed a 1200 mile drive from Michigan to South Dakota. I noticed towards the end of the trek, about 1100 miles/17hours in, a strong fuel/oil smell. This last stretch, the truck was working pretty hard to maintain 80mph against a 30mph headwind on the rolling plains of SoDak.

I stopped for fuel about 30 miles from my destination and popped the hood, and the smell definitely originated from my engine compartment. Confirmed again this morning in the driveway. No signs of fuel or oil leaks. I'll plan to check and change the oil tomorrow. I suspect it is full and fuel diluted like the OPs.

And for what it's worth, I'm 100% stock, and the truck drives fine with good power and fuel economy, just smells really bad.
Pull the dipstick, wipe the oil from it with your fingers. Rub your fingers together and smell them. Smell like oil.... or smell like gas?

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
No worries...

Your comments ring true here also. The closest 2 dealers are owned by the same guy. We had a guy doing some work at our house about a month ago and he said "Don't get anything worked on there in the afternoon, I know most of the tech''s there and they get high at lunch".
What about the ol wake and bake? You can't win...

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Pull the dipstick, wipe the oil from it with your fingers. Rub your fingers together and smell them. Smell like oil.... or smell like gas?
It smelled a little like gas, but not necessarily excessively so? I also smelled the oil on my father's EcoBoost F150 (3.5L) and my moms 2.0L Escape, and they more or less smelled the same. I'm going to change the oil tomorrow (it's due anyways) and collect a sample for analysis, so we shall see.

On a side note, my parents, who are not car people, looked at me like I was insane when I told them I needed to smell the oil on their vehicles o_O:crackup:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
It smelled a little like gas, but not necessarily excessively so? I also smelled the oil on my father's EcoBoost F150 (3.5L) and my moms 2.0L Escape, and they more or less smelled the same. I'm going to change the oil tomorrow (it's due anyways) and collect a sample for analysis, so we shall see.

On a side note, my parents, who are not car people, looked at me like I was insane when I told them I needed to smell the oil on their vehicles o_O:crackup:
Awesome.... rattling your folks chain is always a good time.

We've got 2,200 miles on our Ranger. Checked the oil yesterday, did the "the level, texture and smell test"..... all is well, and it smells like oil.

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Awesome.... rattling your folks chain is always a good time.

We've got 2,200 miles on our Ranger. Checked the oil yesterday, did the "the level, texture and smell test"..... all is well, and it smells like oil.
Haha agreed!

Did the oil change yesterday. I'm right at 8000 miles, so right at 5000 miles on this oil. I drained 6.25 qts (what I filled at 3k miles) and the oil looks like you'd expect with the mileage on it. I collected a mid-stream sample, and have a blackstone kit on order, so we'll see what that says in a few weeks.

So far it seems the only similarities I have with OP is that we noticed a strong oily/fuel-y smell after a prolonged highway drive, but I don't think my oil is overly contaminated with fuel, but we'll see what the test says. I will say, the smell is reminiscent of the engine compartment on a 2-stroke jetski (odd comparison, but that's what comes to mind). I didn't notice any fuel/oil sprays/drips/leaks under the hood, and the truck is driving great and still getting great fuel economy. So I'm going to drive it like normal until something changes and I'll report back if it does :fingerscrossed:

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
2019 ranger here , 650 mile first oil change , oil reeks of fuel , epic bad like 2 stroke mix.... truck also sluggish somewhat and has takeoff shudder, dont know if there is a common link here or what.
You probably should have left the oil in it and take to the dealer to document it. Good luck

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I took the truck in yesterday since I just about met their 500 mile request. The morons obviously never actually noted what the oil level was the last time they checked it, I asked if they did and they said "it was at the full mark" which it wasn't. Now it is slightly above the hot full mark even when cold. We checked the oil when I brought it to the dealership and didn't even properly wait long enough for the oil to all go back into the pan, and it still read a little over full. He said it wasn't even bad and there is nothing wrong. He wasn't even willing to check the high pressure fuel pump. I was so mad. I just took the key out of that moron's hand and drove away. I'm just going through Ford corporate now. Hopefully I have better luck with them.

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Did the oil change yesterday. I'm right at 8000 miles, so right at 5000 miles on this oil. I drained 6.25 qts (what I filled at 3k miles) and the oil looks like you'd expect with the mileage on it. I collected a mid-stream sample, and have a blackstone kit on order, so we'll see what that says in a few weeks.

So far it seems the only similarities I have with OP is that we noticed a strong oily/fuel-y smell after a prolonged highway drive, but I don't think my oil is overly contaminated with fuel, but we'll see what the test says. I will say, the smell is reminiscent of the engine compartment on a 2-stroke jetski (odd comparison, but that's what comes to mind). I didn't notice any fuel/oil sprays/drips/leaks under the hood, and the truck is driving great and still getting great fuel economy. So I'm going to drive it like normal until something changes and I'll report back if it does :fingerscrossed:
Well, got my oil analysis back yesterday, so thought I'd post an update. Oil analysis shows there is definitely fuel in the oil, and the oil was definitely degraded if it was reading like an 0W20 instead of a 5w30, but fortunately no signs of wear (yet). On the plus side, there is a very little amount of insolubles in the oil, so I don't think excessive blow-by is the culprit...on the other hand, where is the fuel coming from?

I have 2200 miles on the new oil, and the fuel smell has returned. Checked the oil last night, and the oil level was alarmingly high. I used a syringe-style vacuum pump to suck about 1.5qts of fluid out of the crankcase through the dip-stick tube, and topped off with 0.5 qts of fresh to put the oil back on the 'full' dot on the dipstick.The oil reeks of fuel, so definitely have some contamination coming from somewhere.

The truck gets to sit for the next two weeks as I'm out of town, but my plan is to get it into the dealership the first week of January. Hopefully they do more than just change the oil and call me an idiot...:confused:

BlackStone_17Dec2019.jpg
Sponsored