Zetterbeard

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FORD RANGER XLT 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
I have had an odd malfunction (or what I think is) on my front driver's side wheel a few times now. The scenario is almost always a sharp left turn from a stop where the suspension goes under load as I am turning, such as the end of a driveway, the gutter pan of a road, or something like that. It is usually a fairly quick acceleration that triggers it, but as I start to turn left the sound of the traction control (or what I think is) activates. I can't recall if there is a loss of power because I usually am surprised and tend to let off the pedal a bit. As far as I can remember this did not occur before I had the 2" Ready Lift leveling kit put on. Does anyone have any idea what I am experiencing or had something similar happen? I will likely take it to the shop that put the leveling kit on, I trust their work, but would like to gather insight beforehand if possible.
Sponsored

Smudgpot23

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Technical whiner
I have had an odd malfunction (or what I think is) on my front driver's side wheel a few times now. The scenario is almost always a sharp left turn from a stop where the suspension goes under load as I am turning, such as the end of a driveway, the gutter pan of a road, or something like that. It is usually a fairly quick acceleration that triggers it, but as I start to turn left the sound of the traction control (or what I think is) activates. I can't recall if there is a loss of power because I usually am surprised and tend to let off the pedal a bit. As far as I can remember this did not occur before I had the 2" Ready Lift leveling kit put on. Does anyone have any idea what I am experiencing or had something similar happen? I will likely take it to the shop that put the leveling kit on, I trust their work, but would like to gather insight beforehand if possible.
Are you sure that the tire isn't rubbing one of the crash bars.

OP
OP
Zetterbeard

Zetterbeard

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FORD RANGER XLT 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
I will try to check on this. The noise sounded more like the traction control/advanced trac esque brake/wheel stabilizing sound, but I will try to replicate.

Last edited:

jalapeno_cat

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Geo
OK! I thought I was crazy when I experienced this (only twice though). Same story here, leaving my apartment complex, it's a steep decline into a gutter pan while doing a sharp left turn. I initially thought it was because I was accelerating just as the parking radar sensed the road, plenty of cars always scrape their front ends on this entrance, but the second time it happened, I noticed that it was only ABS/traction control engaging on the driver side.

I have stock tires and suspension.

OP
OP
Zetterbeard

Zetterbeard

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FORD RANGER XLT 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
OK! I thought I was crazy when I experienced this (only twice though). Same story here, leaving my apartment complex, it's a steep decline into a gutter pan while doing a sharp left turn. I initially thought it was because I was accelerating just as the parking radar sensed the road, plenty of cars always scrape their front ends on this entrance, but the second time it happened, I noticed that it was only ABS/traction control engaging on the driver side.

I have stock tires and suspension.
Oh that is very interesting that it happened to you with everything stock. Now I am not sure what to think...

PhysSDK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Happen to me constantly, sharp uphill driveway to tight turn, super annoying.

jalapeno_cat

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geo

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Hey @dondonbabyraptor , did you ever figure out if you had any tire rubbing or a bent dust shield on your brakes? Do the issues here in this thread sound like what you were having earlier this summer in Weird kind of scraping sound at full turn? When coming off of driveways | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com ?
Hey Matt, I made that thread :)

But it comes and goes, I told the dealer but they just shrugged it off unless it keeps happening but it is intermittent so I haven't bothered. Sure is odd though. When I went for my18k service check up they pulled everything off and didn't see anything unusual. I say its sand getting up in there, but it happened recently and I haven't been off-roading for a little bit.

jalapeno_cat

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geo
Hey Matt, I made that thread :)

But it comes and goes, I told the dealer but they just shrugged it off unless it keeps happening but it is intermittent so I haven't bothered. Sure is odd though. When I went for my18k service check up they pulled everything off and didn't see anything unusual. I say its sand getting up in there, but it happened recently and I haven't been off-roading for a little bit.
Words are hard, meant to ask if the issues described in "Front Driver's Side Traction Control Malfunction" match what you were describing in the thread you started haha. But based off your sand idea, I think we are experiencing different problems.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Words are hard, meant to ask if the issues described in "Front Driver's Side Traction Control Malfunction" match what you were describing in the thread you started haha. But based off your sand idea, I think we are experiencing different problems.
Not sure I will have to look up that malfunction. It could be possible. I know my TC pops up when it happens.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I felt something strange on sharp turns one day an I looked down an I accidently hit the 4x4 switch an was in four wheel drive.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Does traction control even work on the front? If so would it without 4 wheel drive engaged?

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Look at the front splash guard, mine slightly rubbed while backing out of my driveway with wheel cranked, it's a slightly downhill drive. I took the guards off and trimmed them with my band saw at a crease so the point straight down. Can't even tell it was touched.

OP
OP
Zetterbeard

Zetterbeard

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FORD RANGER XLT 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
Does traction control even work on the front? If so would it without 4 wheel drive engaged?
Haha good question, I am not super savvy with those systems, that is why I kept putting (or what I think) in my OP. All of my occurrences were in 2WD.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Yes you are correct in your assumption, it is the TCS/ABS kicking in when it rocks coming out of a driveway

I hate it, happens to me

So either I go slower, or am contemplating removing the sway bar...would be better for off road anyway

From what I understand it happens when leveled or not. My truck leveled
Sponsored