SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I realize these trucks are sprung for towing and hauling, I had a 2011 F150 that had a better ride because I believe it was just heavier. My biggest issue with my Ranger is rebound from a dip or level change i.e. Bridge height to road! Hitting that dip will nearly launch me from my seat! Not good with a crappy back. Short of adding weight and killing gas mileage, what would be the best way to start in an attempt to control this?
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I realize these trucks are sprung for towing and hauling, I had a 2011 F150 that had a better ride because I believe it was just heavier. My biggest issue with my Ranger is rebound from a dip or level change i.e. Bridge height to road! Hitting that dip will nearly launch me from my seat! Not good with a crappy back. Short of adding weight and killing gas mileage, what would be the best way to start in an attempt to control this?
Do you tow or haul loads?

Just out of curiosity... your tire air pressure is correct, right?

Last edited:

MyLittleRanger19

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
ditto on this. mine were at ~48psi from the dealership. recommended was 35. i run at 38 and the ride is a night and day difference from when i picked it up.

OP
OP
SFB

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you tow or haul loads?

I don't plan on towing or hauling anything excessive if at all. My tires are set to 35 cold

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I would expect a recalibrated set of shocks would do the trick!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I don't plan on towing or hauling anything excessive if at all. My tires are set to 35 cold
You could try another set of shocks, as chasvs suggests, but I don't think that will get you what you are after.

I'd suggest that you contact a local leaf spring shop and see if they can build you rear leaf springs, with much less load carrying capacity, but with a much better ride.

While they are at it, have them de-arch them a couple inches to give the truck a more level stance.

OP
OP
SFB

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You could try another set of shocks, as chasvs suggests, but I don't think that will get you what you are after.

I'd suggest that you contact a local leaf spring shop and see if they can build you rear leaf springs, with much less load carrying capacity, but with a much better ride.

While they are at it, have them de-arch them a couple inches to give the truck a more level stance.
Something to think about,
Thank you

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My not so cheap plan is to buy either the Icon 3.5 or king remote reservoir shocks for the truck. I've got a thread out there now hoping someone can tell me what the ride when the coilovers are set at 0-1" lift is like compared to stock.

Stock is so bumpy unless you're bombing down washboard dirt roads, then it's better than average...

I did a 2x4 test with my FX4 and my dad's Lariat Sport. both trucks bounce 5x when backing over a piece of 2x4 on the front drivers tire telling me that they are both needing better shocks.

Compare that to my wife's Edge who doesn't bounce at all (I'm not expecting car like ride, just a little less harsh...)

Reactions: SFB

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
  • Assuming you have a good relationship with your parts guy, sit down with him and check the various springs available on various trim options on the Ranger. You will be surprised at the various springs (and therefore spring rates) available. The right spring, should go a long way to solving your ride issue. The correct spring coupled with the correct shock should help your back...a lot.

TexTazManiac

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Ford F150 King Ranch, 2013 Lincoln MKX, 1977 Datsun 280Z, Various Can Am 'Toys', Mahindra Tractor
Apologies for this late reply. But I too have an F150 and it rode, well... just like my Ranger did when it was new. On my F150, I put on a complete Fox leveling kit -- new struts and shocks, added Raptor wheels and put on K02's running 36-38 psi. Rides like a 'cowboy cadillac' now. You can tell it is a truck, but I don't have to worry about slowing down for rail road tracks and my head doesn't bounce side to side when turning.

I have done something similar with my Ranger -- I put on a complete Icon leveling kit (struts and shocks), Ranger Raptor wheels and KO2's running.... yep, 36-38 PSI. Again, the ride has improved tremendously. I also eliminated the "Ranger lean" by taking out the driver's side rear shim and adding a 1" Eibach block.... yes, my truck leaned that much.

But... combination of new shocks, struts and tires all seem to help. I suspect (and I'm not an engineer), the 'jounce' control provided by the stock shocks just plain sucks

Reactions: SFB
OP
OP
SFB

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Apologies for this late reply. But I too have an F150 and it rode, well... just like my Ranger did when it was new. On my F150, I put on a complete Fox leveling kit -- new struts and shocks, added Raptor wheels and put on K02's running 36-38 psi. Rides like a 'cowboy cadillac' now. You can tell it is a truck, but I don't have to worry about slowing down for rail road tracks and my head doesn't bounce side to side when turning.

I have done something similar with my Ranger -- I put on a complete Icon leveling kit (struts and shocks), Ranger Raptor wheels and KO2's running.... yep, 36-38 PSI. Again, the ride has improved tremendously. I also eliminated the "Ranger lean" by taking out the driver's side rear shim and adding a 1" Eibach block.... yes, my truck leaned that much.

But... combination of new shocks, struts and tires all seem to help. I suspect (and I'm not an engineer), the 'jounce' control provided by the stock shocks just plain sucks
Thanks tons, I love the truck all this aside, I know it's a truck, not looking for a car ride just a better controlled ride....without the whiplash!

OP
OP
SFB

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My not so cheap plan is to buy either the Icon 3.5 or king remote reservoir shocks for the truck. I've got a thread out there now hoping someone can tell me what the ride when the coilovers are set at 0-1" lift is like compared to stock.

Stock is so bumpy unless you're bombing down washboard dirt roads, then it's better than average...

I did a 2x4 test with my FX4 and my dad's Lariat Sport. both trucks bounce 5x when backing over a piece of 2x4 on the front drivers tire telling me that they are both needing better shocks.

Compare that to my wife's Edge who doesn't bounce at all (I'm not expecting car like ride, just a little less harsh...)
Oddly enough this truck replaced my Edge!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Oddly enough this truck replaced my Edge!
We have an Edge Sport (2011) AWD. It rides terribly due to the 55# wheels (without tires), but it's still more stable than the ranger is. I know truck vs car/suv. I can't wait to get some better coilovers and a rear swaybar.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Icon suspension will have a leaf kit coming out soon that might help with the ride.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

Hey, Peter, sorry for what may be a dumb question, but did changing to the Raptor wheels have anything to do with improving the ride, or did you just like the look? I have already ordered the Ford-branded Fox two-inch leveling kit to reduce the "Ranger Bounce," and I really like the look of the Raptor Wheels, but I do not see how they would help the ride as well. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Sponsored