From a Jeep (JL/JT) to a Ranger???

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Might want to drive a F150 as well. In my experience, they ride much more smoothly than a Ranger and the seats are generally more comfortable.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Might want to drive a F150 as well. In my experience, they ride much more smoothly than a Ranger and the seats are generally more comfortable.
I had a 2017 F150 and it didn't ride much more smoothly than my Gladiator. The seats were much more comfortable though.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
I did the opposite. I have a manual JT and the pedal position kinda sucks and the seat is unconscionably poor. I'm looking at Recaros and my wife isnt saying no.. If you find the JT uncomfortable, I don't think you'll find the Ranger much better but ymmv. It could be just the right fit. The Tremor trim is about on par with the price of a JT and used JTs are priced pretty high at the moment.

Have you sat in a Nissan Frontier though? ?

Alpinist

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
I drove a JL Sahara for about two weeks during a work trip. First thing I noted was the seats were brutally uncomfortable... second thing I noticed was the Jeep would wander all over the road, and the steering would weirdly go from light to heavy somewhat randomly. Ranger is much more pleasant to drive, and doesn't suffer nearly as badly from the SFA suspension snapback when you go over an obstacle diagonally, especially with the upgraded dampers on the Tremor.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I would venture to say the majority of my issues come from the seats. On smooth roads I'm still in pain. Then the rough ride adds to it on crappy roads.

And my issues are in my neck. C5/C6 and C6/C7 fusions. And from talking to a therapists my current issue is C8/T1.
I feel your pain brother. My wife sustained a broken neck (at C2) in a car wreck a long time back (thankfully she had an Angel riding Co-Pilot). Her neck is fused at C2/3. It's a bitch sometimes for her. But, she's a tough little lady and says she's not going to let that stop her (and she doesn't).

I forgot to mention that the cloth seats in my Ranger are quite comfortable. But, with your fusions I don't think that would make a lot of difference. Knowing that no two spine injuries are the same, if possible find you a Ranger, and give it a through test drive (not the pablum route the sales person picks). That way you'll know for sure.

Sent you a PM.

Last edited:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I would think a Tremor would ride a lot better than a regular ranger or fx4.

Can you add a suspension seat? I don't know how big or bulky they are. Maybe some isolation pucks between the seat track an the floor?

If you don't "need" a truck a unibody SUV would probably be a better ride an you could get a trailer for hauling when needed.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
I would venture to say the majority of my issues come from the seats. On smooth roads I'm still in pain. Then the rough ride adds to it on crappy roads.

And my issues are in my neck. C5/C6 and C6/C7 fusions. And from talking to a therapists my current issue is C8/T1.
My back pain stems from the same area, but yours is admittedly worse than mine. I find the Ranger Lariat seats to be very comfortable. I’ve only taken one trip longer than an hour though. I did a 600 mile round trip with my kids to Georgia and still felt the seats were good.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went to Lowes today and put 700lbs of rocks into the bed.
Rode like a friggen' Cadillac on the way home.
But i am sure my fuel mileage took a hit.
This is truth. Best ride I’ve had was stock with about 1k of topsoil in the bed. Smooth smooth smooth!

OP
OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I would think a Tremor would ride a lot better than a regular ranger or fx4.

Can you add a suspension seat? I don't know how big or bulky they are. Maybe some isolation pucks between the seat track an the floor?

If you don't "need" a truck a unibody SUV would probably be a better ride an you could get a trailer for hauling when needed.

I kind of need a truck and really need a true 4x4 for driving on the beach.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I have owned nothing but Jeep vehicles (all models) or Ford trucks (Rangers and F150) in the last 25-30 years. I actually narrowed down my search for a new truck down to the Gladiator and the Ranger. I went with the Ranger for several reasons.

A little back story on me. I am disabled and have bad knees, arthritis and fibromyalgia.

For me the Ford trucks always had a better ride than the old style Jeep Cherokee or any flavor of the CJ/Wranglers. The Ranger is about the same for comfort as the 2016 Jeep Cherokee I traded in for the Ranger.

When I narrowed down my choice to the Gladiator and the Ranger, I really started looking at several things. The most important was ease of getting in and out of the vehicle and seat comfort. The Wrangler and Gladiator are harder for me to get in or out due to the higher door sill. And the Ranger seats are definitely more comfortable for me.

The other deciding factor was the towing capacity of both vehicles. 4,500 pounds vs 7,500 pounds.

Heated seats are a must for me with any vehicle that I am going to spend any time in. The heat helps with the fibromyalgia.

I spent many years in the Army along with owning Ford trucks or Jeeps as civilian vehicles for quite some time now. So needless to say I know what a rough ride is, all military vehicles will jar the snot out of you. The newer Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators are definitely smoother rides compared to military vehicles. But the Ranger is definitely a better ride than the Wrangler and Gladiator. And I am still running the OEM shocks on my XLT FX4, which some say are rough handling.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not yet. But in all honesty I want to check out a Pro 4X.
I saw one of these in person in the dark green color and they are really nice. Haven’t driven one but would definitely give it a shot!

I do love my Ranger though. Upgrading my front suspension and doing a level this weekend. Happy 4th!

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Honestly a XLT or even XT with blisten dampers and tremor leafs would ride just as good.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I have upgraded my XLT to Bilsteins all around and Tremor leafs in the rear.

I am 100% happy with the ride.

Definitely drive a Tremor to test the ride quality as it has a better suspension than the other versions.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
I grew up with jeep people and sadly I am in the market for a 2 door JK. My wife has the jeep itch again.... I have never ridden in any jeep wether it be stock or modified that ride well. I had 2 1 tons with solid axles and they always rode better. Wheel base and 1,000lb engine makes a difference tho.

Ranger is an excellent riding truck but the seats are not F series quality. Just took an 800 miles trip non stop and I was comfortable, just not lazy boy level. Still my best riding truck. If I had power seats I think it would be better.
Sponsored