From a Jeep (JL/JT) to a Ranger???

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Looking for some honest real world input. I currently have a 2021 Jeep Gladiator. Due to an ongoing and worsening spinal issue it is getting really uncomfortable to drive for any extended period of time. It's a combination of the hard seats and the unforgiving ride of an sfa vehicle. It's to the point now that the stiffness of the seats puts so much pressure on my spine that I start to get pins and needles in my arm and hand. Yes I know I need to get this fixed. But I have already had two fusions and don't know if I want to go that route again.

So for any of you that have switched from a Jeep JT or JL to a Ranger what's your honest opinion on the ride and seat comfort. It's it drastic, minimal or not much different??

I need to do something soon. I found a Tremor that I like and want to get some input before I even start inquiring.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
i say go for a test drive.
few if any of us will have the same medical condition as you and some if not all of us would feel like jerks telling you the Ranger is super comfy and then it turns out not to be for your situation.

My honest opinion, no. the Ranger isnt the most comfortable ride out there.
there are some changes that can be done to help with it, but again, you gotta plunk your ass into a seat and go for a ride and see for yourself.
Thanks for being honest. I actually test drove one when they first came to the states. But that was maybe 10 miles and I didn't have the same issues then.

I guess I'm looking for more of a total comparison from those who have switched.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I just sold my 2022 Jeep JLR. While it was a decent riding vehicle I think the Ranger is way more comfortable. It was a much stiffer ride and the seats were definitely not as comfortable than my Lariat seats. Is the Ranger Lexus comfort, no but for a truck (I've had 12 over the years) it is one if not the most comfortable one I've owned.

I'm on a month long road trip now and have put 4,150 miles on so far and have never been uncomfortable driving. With my Tacoma I would be in pain within 50 miles and use to rent a car for long road trips. I do have a bad back but nothing like yours so it's going to be hard for anyone to say if you'll be comfortable. Test driving one is nearly impossible because of the shortages but if you're lucky to find a dealer who has one and will let you take it on an extended drive would really be your only way on knowing.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Looking for some honest real world input. I currently have a 2021 Jeep Gladiator. Due to an ongoing and worsening spinal issue it is getting really uncomfortable to drive for any extended period of time. It's a combination of the hard seats and the unforgiving ride of an sfa vehicle. It's to the point now that the stiffness of the seats puts so much pressure on my spine that I start to get pins and needles in my arm and hand. Yes I know I need to get this fixed. But I have already had two fusions and don't know if I want to go that route again.

So for any of you that have switched from a Jeep JT or JL to a Ranger what's your honest opinion on the ride and seat comfort. It's it drastic, minimal or not much different??

I need to do something soon. I found a Tremor that I like and want to get some input before I even start inquiring.
Steve, I have one of each. Honestly my Extend Cab Ranger doesn't ride much better around town (on shitty city streets) than our JL Sahara Unlimited. The difference is the Ranger doesn't have that hard side to side shake (you know what I mean I'm sure) on uneven surfaces like the Jeep. Of couse on smooth surfaces they ride nearly the same. As I understand it a new set of shocks makes the Ranger ride better, but I haven't done that on my Ranger so I can't tell you the difference. Good luck on your decision, I know where you are. I've had 2 back operations, and it ain't fun sometimes.

100_5385.JPG

100_5250.JPG

OP
OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I just sold my 2022 Jeep JLR. While it was a decent riding vehicle I think the Ranger is way more comfortable. It was a much stiffer ride and the seats were definitely not as comfortable than my Lariat seats. Is the Ranger Lexus comfort, no but for a truck (I've had 12 over the years) it is one if not the most comfortable one I've owned.

I'm on a month long road trip now and have put 4,150 miles on so far and have never been uncomfortable driving. With my Tacoma I would be in pain within 50 miles and use to rent a car for long road trips. I do have a bad back but nothing like yours so it's going to be hard for anyone to say if you'll be comfortable. Test driving one is nearly impossible because of the shortages but if you're lucky to find a dealer who has one and will let you take it on an extended drive would really be your only way on knowing.
That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I know no one can judge how comfortable I would be with my particular condition. But hearing that it is more comfortable than a JL is a positive.

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired

Coming from someone who also has a bad back (not as bad as yours), you really need to look for a vehicle with a better ride. The Ranger feels most bumps in the road and IMO is not the answer for the vehicle you should get.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
I drove a JT and in my personal opinion, the Ranger, for me, is much more comfortable. The JT was stiff, jarring, noisy, and uncomfortable on any long trip. The Ranger, while at first was a bit wallowing, the ride was fixed with a set of Fox shocks. If you’re looking at a Tremor, they already come with Fox shocks. The seats and ride comfort on the Ranger is far superior to the JT. Trips of an hour or more are a pleasure compared to the JT. This has been my experience.

OP
OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Steve, I have one of each. Honestly my Extend Cab Ranger doesn't ride much better around town (on shitty city streets) than our JL Sahara Unlimited. The difference is the Ranger doesn't have that hard side to side shake (you know what I mean I'm sure) on uneven surfaces like the Jeep. Of couse on smooth surfaces they ride nearly the same. As I understand it a new set of shocks makes the Ranger ride better, but I haven't done that on my Ranger so I can't tell you the difference. Good luck on your decision, I know where you are. I've had 2 back operations, and it ain't fun sometimes.

100_5385.JPG

100_5250.JPG
I would venture to say the majority of my issues come from the seats. On smooth roads I'm still in pain. Then the rough ride adds to it on crappy roads.

And my issues are in my neck. C5/C6 and C6/C7 fusions. And from talking to a therapists my current issue is C8/T1.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

My Ranger was out of commission a few weeks ago just before my wife and I had a planned trip to North GA for some off-roading. I didn't have time to get parts and make the repairs myself before the trip, so my brother offered up his 2013 Wrangler...in exchange for keys to my supercharged mustang. So we made the swap and off we went for a 10 hour drive to Blairsville, GA. I think next time I will just skip off-roading and take the mustang.

Don't get me wrong, the Jeep was freaking awesome once we got out there and ate up the Beasley Knob trails, and was crucial to have for an emergency vehicle recovery out there. But it is a pretty bad road trip vehicle, and my Ranger also would have made it on the same trails. It was slow, uncomfortable, and wildly unstable at highway speeds. My dog who has previously slept the entire way to Nevada from Florida never settled down and was visibly stressed the entire time. My wife, who is normally beaming on road trips, was visibly irritated the entire time. I was a little uncomfortable, but I think the 6-speed manual kept me entertained enough.

Got back home, fixed my truck and immediately remembered why I didn't buy a Wrangler. IFS pickup trucks are nice.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
When I was researching mid-sized trucks, the Ranger would almost always have the upper hand in interior comfort. I really like the seats. I have done 9 hour trips without issue, but I don't have back problems.

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Occupation
Retired for now!

Hi Steve. I too went from a Gladiator Rubicon to a Ranger Tremor. I have mild back problems as well, however not to the extent that you do. I find that the Tremor actually rides a bit better. The seats in the Tremor are much better for me at 6'2" tall and that helps as well. Test drive the Tremor if you haven't already, and I think you might like it better than the Jeep. Neither are as plush as a big luxury car, but for me the Ranger Tremor is comfortable. Good Luck!

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
I came from a Gladiator. I couldn't stand it's on road manners and the seats were terrible. I threw $20k at it and was never happy. Super fatiguing to drive.

You will want a Tremor. They ride much better than the other trims.

Tremor has Fox suspension, which is very compliant and smooth riding.

The Tremor also have multipack leaf springs in the rear, which greatly increases the ride quality.

If you can't find a Tremor you can buy the suspension for probably around $2200.

20220117_144800.jpg

20220609_183019.jpg

Edit:

Here are the Tremor leafs & U bolts
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-leaf-spring-hb3z5560c?c=az0x
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-u-bolt-hb3z5705a

~$900-1000

Last edited:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I got lower back issues that are age related. The Rangers lumbar adjustment is a lifesaver for me. Mine is adjusted to the max and it’s super comfortable and I get the support I need for long trips. As others have said, we’re all different when it comes to issues like this and the remedies that work for some don’t for others.
Sponsored