krisrayner

krisrayner

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Ranger FX2
Also have to sit in their waiting room for about 4 hours while they do it. :crackup:
I never recommend for anyone to sit in the waiting room. If you can, drop it off early and leave it for the day so they can work it into the schedule better. "They came to wait, let's not disappoint them" is a running joke among techs....."I hope they brought a sleeping bag is another one". And if you're the type to constantly be looking out the service windows trying to watch them work, forget about it. My line for customers that want to watch me work is "I charge extra for entertainment."

Just my observations of having been a tech for over 20 years. I always disliked having a "waiter" customer, at the dealer or independent shops. Obviously it's necessary for some, but you're far more likely to get better service when you can just leave the shop to do their thing.

Last edited:

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Meanwhile kids at Jiffy Lube can knock an oil change out in 10-15 minutes. I've always wondered why oil changes, with an appointment time, take so long at a dealership. Is there a reason I'm missing?

OP
OP
krisrayner

krisrayner

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Ranger FX2
Meanwhile kids at Jiffy Lube can knock an oil change out in 10-15 minutes. I've always wondered why oil changes, with an appointment time, take so long at a dealership. Is there a reason I'm missing?
I think a main reason is how the are fundamentally structured. For most shops, oil changes are loss leaders. They donā€™t make money on them in the end. Itā€™s the other service and repair work thatā€™s profitable.

I think by nature Jiffy Lube has to. They have a very streamlined process that wastes very little time, including having multiple people on any one vehicle. They try to make more by trying to sell you an air filter every time and other fluids. They also pay their workers less in an effort to increase profit.

All that being said, and acknowledging my own bias, I wouldnā€™t take my lawn mower to a Jiffy Lube. Iā€™ve just personally seen too much sloppy work from some of those places. High worker turn over and minimal training needed to get a job. Air filters not installed properly, drain plugs and pans stripped, and much more that comes out of a rushed environment with lesser skilled workers. By no means am I saying that canā€™t happen at any other shop or dealers. They do fit a need in the market though. But you have little chance of having a 20-30 year seasoned master tech of working on your car at a quick lube place.

In my opinion, a quality oil change should probably take closer to 30-40 minutes if they're doing a quality safety inspection, setting pressures, checking all fluid levels, checking lights, tire rotation etc. Add in the time of dealing with a service writer, a tech finding the car in the lot, any kind of quality control test drive or double check, if it gets washed, and that time from driving into the shop to leaving can easily double. It can be done faster, but it increases their chance of mistakes and reducing the opportunities to find them. I always prided myself on having very few comebacks and mistakes. That takes time.

Just food for thought.

Last edited:

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Makes sense to me and I appreciate the reply. I've definitely heard a few stories about 10 minute oil change SNAFUs. Have a great evening!

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I received that notice as well, and since I'm not a front line worker, I deleted. I opened Ford Pass and it said I have a message, so I open it, and it's the same notice I got as an email. Having some time to kill, I read further, and the list of essential, or front line workers is long. Turns out, as a Government employee who is a teacher, I would fall under educator. I'll give it a whirl. I can send a pic of paystub and/or Id and if they approve, they will deposit 11K points in my account. Doesn't say I "have" to use on oil change. Looks like they are giving free oil changes to quite the crowd. Worth a look see.

CWOJohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Did anyone have problem getting their essential worker free oil change? I could not get my Ranger in before June 30 so I followed the instructions online to get my oil change credited to my account. That was mid-June. The response o got back then was that they experienced a high volume of requests and would get to it, but 2 months?!?

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
Did anyone have problem getting their essential worker free oil change? I could not get my Ranger in before June 30 so I followed the instructions online to get my oil change credited to my account. That was mid-June. The response o got back then was that they experienced a high volume of requests and would get to it, but 2 months?!?
I have not gotten the points for mine either, same thing. I tried emailing again and got that response.

CWOJohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I called (1-800-392-3673) yesterday. I received 11,000 points one hour later. I believe its worth $55
Thanks for the info. I literally was on hold with them today and went to bring up my rewards account because I assumed they would need the number to add the points and lo and behold 11,000 points was added just yesterday sometime after I checked in the morning. Probably should have checked again today before calling. ?

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
My points showed up today. Didn't do anything. Probably was finally processed.

Capture.PNG
Sponsored