First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Just leaning over the fender to clean the windshield wiper has caused small white scratches in my paint. I’ve never seen paint on a vehicle this fragile. It’s 2019 and Ford doesn’t know how to paint a vehicle. I really like my Ranger but the paint is very disappointing.
Sponsored

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
I had my bike leaning in my truck and it slipped and fell down. That fall caused a small dent, a scuff mark, and a piece of the paint chipping. It's not really noticable but I don't think that small of a fall should cause that much damage. Oh well, it was my fault.

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 PKG
Occupation
Sales
Man I feel like I have seen so many paint issues on our trucks. I’m sure someone will realize but I have said it 3 times in the past few days I feel like our paint isn’t as strong my shadow black fusion @ 36k looked as good as my ranger @5k and all I do is drive. But love the truck so I’ll live with it.

OP
OP

Avanti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I agree, I do love the truck. I realize that at some point in the age of the truck I will break through the accumulated scratch threshold and no longer care about scratches. I look forward to reaching that time.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I love my truck too. But the back half needed completely repainted. From the back doors back there was no paint on the bottom 2 to 6 inches. It was a bit hard to see since the primer and Ingot Silver are sort of close in color. It was clear coated properly but you could plainly see the primer once you knew what to look for.
I was a bit bummed but the repaint came out well and it now looks like it should.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I love my truck too. But the back half needed completely repainted. From the back doors back there was no paint on the bottom 2 to 6 inches. It was a bit hard to see since the primer and Ingot Silver are sort of close in color. It was clear coated properly but you could plainly see the primer once you knew what to look for.
I was a bit bummed but the repaint came out well and it now looks like it should.
Hi Ace,

This really upsets me. We do have paint line failures where things like this happen. Clogged spray heads etc. Units on the pipeline are supposed to be flagged so nothing with poor paint coverage ever pokes its head out the door of the assembly plant. How this got to you is baffling. I am sorry you have to go through this..... Michigan Truck has to get its act together...there are way too many assembly plant errors and where the heck are the inspectors. I place the blame on our CEO and his thrifty practices. Does not help you, but hopefully the dealer will remedy the situation.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Curious what kind of paint they used on the respray? Did they use water based paint? I'm assuming that is what the factory uses at this point - if so that is probably why the durability seems less.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Curious what kind of paint they used on the respray? Did they use water based paint? I'm assuming that is what the factory uses at this point - if so that is probably why the durability seems less.
Actually, I was going to call them tomorrow. I’ll ask what they used.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Ace,

This really upsets me. We do have paint line failures where things like this happen. Clogged spray heads etc. Units on the pipeline are supposed to be flagged so nothing with poor paint coverage ever pokes its head out the door of the assembly plant. How this got to you is baffling. I am sorry you have to go through this..... Michigan Truck has to get its act together...there are way too many assembly plant errors and where the heck are the inspectors. I place the blame on our CEO and his thrifty practices. Does not help you, but hopefully the dealer will remedy the situation.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
They did Phil. The repaint came out fine.
It is unfortunate a defect like that can get out of the factory but stuff happens.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Trolling for bass ?

Do you have something on the front lower corners of the box to prevent paint chips ?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Trolling for bass ?

Do you have something on the front lower corners of the box to prevent paint chips ?
I put about 45 coats of clear plasti-dip on it because the paint was blowing off due to stones. Yep, gotta get them large mouths...

Deleted member 1634

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
The quality is definitely not there when it comes to the paint. Especially inside the bed. It scratches very easy right down to bare metal. 700 miles on my new truck and the bed is scratched down to metal in spots. I just took an empty propane tank 3 blocks to exchange and had it secured to the rear tie down so it wouldn't move and it still scratched the paint down to the metal.

Deleted member 1634

The quality is definitely not there when it comes to the paint. Especially inside the bed. It scratches very easy right down to bare metal. 700 miles on my new truck and the bed is scratched down to metal in spots. I just took an empty propane tank 3 blocks to exchange and had it secured to the rear tie down so it wouldn't move and it still scratched the paint down to the metal.
Within hours after buying mine (5/24/19), I put a 5gal PLASTIC water jug the bed and slid it off to the side, scratched all the way down to the metal. Luckily I was getting the bedliner sprayed a week or so later, so not an issue in the end. But definitely made me wonder how anyone would be able to survive with an un-sprayed bed.
Sponsored