FordPass App (Remote Start/Lock/Unlock) is Only Free for 1-Year

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I've decided that paying 30/mo for a mi-fi is more economical and useful... Not only can it serve internet to tablets and stuff when we're on road trips, it continues to work properly when the truck is off, and out of range (like when hiking or whatever). I'm more convinced that this is Ford's way of getting the consumer to pay for their method by which to collect their data... I know they are going to collect it either way, but I'm not paying them for the privilege.
Having the antenna on top of the truck should make it much more effective, especially in fringe reception areas, so the in-truck wifi should be a useful feature. They're charging way too much for it, though, and making it hard for most people to bundle with existing data plans. (I also haven't tried it, but I'm skeptical that AT&T will be able to provide service in the areas where in-truck wifi would be most useful.) It would be a much better implementation if they unlocked it and let you use your preferred provider.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Having the antenna on top of the truck should make it much more effective, especially in fringe reception areas, so the in-truck wifi should be a useful feature. They're charging way too much for it, though, and making it hard for most people to bundle with existing data plans. (I also haven't tried it, but I'm skeptical that AT&T will be able to provide service in the areas where in-truck wifi would be most useful.) It would be a much better implementation if they unlocked it and let you use your preferred provider.
Nearly every portable hotspot device has an aux antenna port, and a cellular magnet or suction mount antenna option. I know built in is nice, but for people who only want to pay for wifi that they can use everywhere the in-truck stuff is just not feasible. It should at most be $5-10/month for how restricted it is.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Nearly every portable hotspot device has an aux antenna port, and a cellular magnet or suction mount antenna option. I know built in is nice, but for people who only want to pay for wifi that they can use everywhere the in-truck stuff is just not feasible. It should at most be $5-10/month for how restricted it is.
Adding an external antenna on top is a possibility, but an inconvenient one for most people. The in-truck wifi is the easiest and most sensible option, it's just too darn expensive.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
My Ford Pass is not working today. Chat told me to contact a dealer for service as the Sync connect is not receiving any commands from the Ford Pass app. Kind of a bummer. Locked my keys in the truck, was on hold for over 10 minutes. I really miss my keyless entry key pad and hate that the factory option looks so bad. I will likely not pay for the Ford Pass app after my 2 years are up. The 4g hot spot is basically obsolete and ATT is garbage for a lot of us in rural areas.

robsquatch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
My Ford Pass is not working today. Chat told me to contact a dealer for service as the Sync connect is not receiving any commands from the Ford Pass app. Kind of a bummer. Locked my keys in the truck, was on hold for over 10 minutes. I really miss my keyless entry key pad and hate that the factory option looks so bad. I will likely not pay for the Ford Pass app after my 2 years are up. The 4g hot spot is basically obsolete and ATT is garbage for a lot of us in rural areas.
Don’t make a dealer appointment just yet. Mine isn’t working either. First time since I bought the truck in May. They may have a server issue or local outage. Any chance you are in Southern California?

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t make a dealer appointment just yet. Mine isn’t working either. First time since I bought the truck in May. They may have a server issue or local outage. Any chance you are in Southern California?
App maintenance in progress: is what comes up on mine. We are experiencing issues with the Start, Stop, Lock, & Unlock functionality. Our team is working diligently to resolve the issue. We apologize for any inconvenience.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
App maintenance in progress: is what comes up on mine. We are experiencing issues with the Start, Stop, Lock, & Unlock functionality. Our team is working diligently to resolve the issue. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Yeah I finally got that same message

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
No matter what the charge I will not be renewing after the free trial. I would rather take that money and use it for modifications and service on the truck.
Agreed. I currently have it (already out of the free trial thanks to the heavy use of my nephew who was here for a few weeks lol - I'm cancelling this week so it wont renew) but it's just mobile share data, which I could achieve for free by simply turning on the mobile hotspot on my phone. This feature in the car is neat, but totally unnecessary if it costs money.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
I'm cancelling this week
Well, I just did... took about 10 minutes, was transferred 4 times and had to give my details 3 times, the last time they brought the agent up to speed so I didn't have to lol

Definitely one of those things that could be done more smoothly. I'm a current AT&T customer, they should really just allow us to do these things through their website.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
Besides remote start, what do you all use the FordPass for? I am not seeing the value in this for me at all but having an open mind and willing to learn. Now if we had a power tailgate and it would open and close that......
Since I do not have a keypad on the door it has been sort of handy this summer if I have my dog with me and have to run into the store quickly. I can lock the doors and leave my truck running with the AC on for him.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I just did... took about 10 minutes, was transferred 4 times and had to give my details 3 times, the last time they brought the agent up to speed so I didn't have to lol

Definitely one of those things that could be done more smoothly. I'm a current AT&T customer, they should really just allow us to do these things through their website.
It's stupid IMO since not every area gets good AT&T service, and you can get a portable hotspot for cheaper per month than the connected car plan was... Gee, I'll take a #4700 cellular hotspot for $50/month over a hotspot the size of a 90's pager for 30$/month... Just connect your truck wifi to the hotspot if you need that sort of thing.

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
It's stupid IMO since not every area gets good AT&T service...

Agree...too bad we're limited to ATT. In many areas I go Verizon is the only carrier with decent service.

Might have considered it otherwise.

CountryDevil

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 Sport
There's integration with Google Assistant. It "should" already have the OK Google start my truck or Ask FordPass to start my car.

I just read it on Google today that this was a feature of the Google Assistant.
Would you happen to still have the info on how to do this?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

CountryDevil

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score