FordPass App (Remote Start/Lock/Unlock) is Only Free for 1-Year

Dan Kobler

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT SuperCrew 302A 4x4
When I was in talking to my dealer a couple weeks ago, they mentioned that it will now be free for 2 years on all the 2019 models. Not sure if anything has heard anything similar recently.
Sponsored

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
Besides remote start, what do you all use the FordPass for? I am not seeing the value in this for me at all but having an open mind and willing to learn. Now if we had a power tailgate and it would open and close that......

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Besides remote start, what do you all use the FordPass for? I am not seeing the value in this for me at all but having an open mind and willing to learn. Now if we had a power tailgate and it would open and close that......
It's basically "A method by which to drum up service requests" for the dealer. I have had the truck almost 10K miles now and I've used the app maybe 3x in total. 2 of which were to show my family how it worked. My remote start on the keyfob has plenty of range, and the app is so clunky and slow that I may even uninstall it.

Does it tell you about CEL's? Yes it does, but so does the dash. Does it tell you about distance to empty? Yes it does, but so does the dash. Does it tell you distance to next service? Yes it does, but so does the dash.

It's completely un-necessary for those with factory equipped remote start.

Why isn't it free indefinitely? What's different?
Look here what Generac offers as support for a $1900 generator...
Monitor your standby generator from your mobile device with the FREE MOBILE LINK APP
Mobile Link offers an iOS® and Android™ app that is free and downloadable for customers on the iTunes® App Store, Google Play™ and the Amazon Appstore. With Mobile Link, owners can view their generator’s status and maintenance needs, set the unit’s exercise schedule, review it’s running and maintenance history, and receive push notifications to indicate status changes. They can even arrange to send notifications to their local dealer. This makes maintenance easier, since dealers can spot any issues in advance and can ensure the generator is operating smoothly, no matter the homeowner’s location.
Plug a really long cable into your truck and it would be free for life like the generator. I don't know of many standby generators that aren't at a fixed location permanently.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
It's basically "A method by which to drum up service requests" for the dealer. I have had the truck almost 10K miles now and I've used the app maybe 3x in total. 2 of which were to show my family how it worked. My remote start on the keyfob has plenty of range, and the app is so clunky and slow that I may even uninstall it.

Does it tell you about CEL's? Yes it does, but so does the dash. Does it tell you about distance to empty? Yes it does, but so does the dash. Does it tell you distance to next service? Yes it does, but so does the dash.

I have to agree - I've used it a couple of times and it is kind of a fun novelty, but it is so slow to start up it and clunky it kind of turns me off. It does have links to the users manual and a complete maintenance history, but you can see that on the ford owners website too. My understanding is that you can add your own oil changes to the maintenance history of your vehicle on that site. Has anyone done that?

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
If the app was not clunky/slow to start up, I would maaaybe consider paying for the service if it was $10/month since I was too cheap to order remote start.

Now if they could link the app to Siri/Google Assistant, THAT would be convenient. Imagine just having your phone in your pocket, walking out the door and saying "Ok Google, Start the Ranger". I would pay for that!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the app was not clunky/slow to start up, I would maaaybe consider paying for the service if it was $10/month since I was too cheap to order remote start.

Now if they could link the app to Siri/Google Assistant, THAT would be convenient. Imagine just having your phone in your pocket, walking out the door and saying "Ok Google, Start the Ranger". I would pay for that!
There's integration with Google Assistant. It "should" already have the OK Google start my truck or Ask FordPass to start my car.

I just read it on Google today that this was a feature of the Google Assistant.

I have to agree - I've used it a couple of times and it is kind of a fun novelty, but it is so slow to start up it and clunky it kind of turns me off. It does have links to the users manual and a complete maintenance history, but you can see that on the ford owners website too. My understanding is that you can add your own oil changes to the maintenance history of your vehicle on that site. Has anyone done that?

I just went and added my oil change to the Owner.Ford.com site. It worked fine.

Oil change.png

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just went and added my oil change to the Owner.Ford.com site. It worked fine.

Oil change.png
What did you put for the "service details and location"? :)

And is the $45 your cost for the oil and filter? Just curious - I've still got quite a while before I do my first oil change.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What did you put for the "service details and location"? :)

And is the $45 your cost for the oil and filter? Just curious - I've still got quite a while before I do my first oil change.

I put "DIY" because it lets you put whatever you want.

I added oil type and filter in the details.

I get my oil (Mobil1 5w30, M1-212A) for 5Qts/26$ with a filter, so I usually buy two 5Qts and get two filters. The next time I need oil I buy 2 more of the same deal, the first 5Qts goes in, and I snag 1 quart off of the second jug until the second jug is gone.

Sometimes the oil has a $12-17 rebate too which I promptly send in. $45 is probably high for the actual cost I'm paying. Ford however wanted over $100 for a full synthetic change, and only $50 for Motorcraft blend.

Both mine and my wife's car take the same oil, so it never sits around very long, and there's always something needing it's oil changed.

I've been doing it for a long time, I stated pre-buying like this and paying attention to rebates when I owned a diesel vehicle that took 2 gallons of oil (we're not far off with the Ranger though).

P.S. I drive over 100 miles/daily, so my second change is not far out.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I put "DIY" because it lets you put whatever you want.

I added oil type and filter in the details.

I get my oil (Mobil1 5w30, M1-212A) for 5Qts/26$ with a filter, so I usually buy two 5Qts and get two filters. The next time I need oil I buy 2 more of the same deal, the first 5Qts goes in, and I snag 1 quart off of the second jug until the second jug is gone.

Sometimes the oil has a $12-17 rebate too which I promptly send in. $45 is probably high for the actual cost I'm paying. Ford however wanted over $100 for a full synthetic change, and only $50 for Motorcraft blend.

Both mine and my wife's car take the same oil, so it never sits around very long, and there's always something needing it's oil changed.

I've been doing it for a long time, I stated pre-buying like this and paying attention to rebates when I owned a diesel vehicle that took 2 gallons of oil (we're not far off with the Ranger though).

P.S. I drive over 100 miles/daily, so my second change is not far out.
Yeah, I usually try and stock up on oil and filters when there is a sale. It doesn't stick around long, although my wife's car (a C-Max) takes 0w-20 - I didn't even know such a thing existed until we bought that car. I never skimp on filters either. I've kind of settled on Wix filters - I know Napa uses them as their brand filters, but reviews I've seen generally rate them as one of the best filters.

Thanks for the info - it is kind of nice to be able to log the oil changes - at least then if there is an issue Ford can't accuse you of not changing the oil on schedule.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I usually try and stock up on oil and filters when there is a sale. It doesn't stick around long, although my wife's car (a C-Max) takes 0w-20 - I didn't even know such a thing existed until we bought that car. I never skimp on filters either. I've kind of settled on Wix filters - I know Napa uses them as their brand filters, but reviews I've seen generally rate them as one of the best filters.

Thanks for the info - it is kind of nice to be able to log the oil changes - at least then if there is an issue Ford can't accuse you of not changing the oil on schedule.
It's sad that cars are starting to take the 0W20 weight oils, it's mostly for emissions purposes, and cannot be safe for modern turbocharged engines.

I run 5W30 in mine and the wife has a 3.7L NA Edge that I have started putting 5W30 in instead of 5W20. We've noticed zero change in mileage, and the TI-VCT stuff seems happier on cold start (it's got 160K miles on it).

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
A great feature I use on both my vehicles.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's sad that cars are starting to take the 0W20 weight oils, it's mostly for emissions purposes, and cannot be safe for modern turbocharged engines.

I run 5W30 in mine and the wife has a 3.7L NA Edge that I have started putting 5W30 in instead of 5W20. We've noticed zero change in mileage, and the TI-VCT stuff seems happier on cold start (it's got 160K miles on it).
I always thought the lighter oils were for mileage, not emissions. It just seems SO thin to me....

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Only advantage of the app is you can lock and unlock it from beyond the fob range and see where it's at. Like if you drop it off for service, etc. Other than that there's no need for it.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired

Plug a really long cable into your truck and it would be free for life like the generator. I don't know of many standby generators that aren't at a fixed location permanently.
My ranger does not have remote start on the key thing (that just locks and unlocks the doors). I have used the FordPass remote several times and will probably use it a lot more as the temperature goes up.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always thought the lighter oils were for mileage, not emissions. It just seems SO thin to me....
Mileage == emissions. CAFE and whatnot.

My ranger does not have remote start on the key thing (that just locks and unlocks the doors). I have used the FordPass remote several times and will probably use it a lot more as the temperature goes up.
Which is what I meant by "factory equipped remote start".
Sponsored