Ford Tie Down Hook -Talk about price gouging....

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
1686142190989.png

well, i never used my middle two, but some people just cant live knowing that the earlier 2019's had 6 and thus created their own false demand for them. people were cheesed, and they hadn't even got their truck yet.

The box is 5.5ft long. the need for the two in the middle is pretty scarce

Can we get a show of hands from people who definitely needed the middle two, and what load they hauled that absolutely required them?
"Need" is is a pretty high bar. Most don't need their trucks, they could just pay someone a delivery fee. Want for easier use, more versatility, or better conditions is a more accurate description of most day to day situations.

Yesterday I picked up 2 boxed chairs, which didn't fit under my tonneau cover. I could have loaded them on my tonneau and used a few straps over the top, but that doesn't allow for restricting forward or back movement, unless they are torqued pretty heavy.

Instead I folded the back 1/3 of my tonneau, and left my tailgate down. They sat tight against the tonneau to prevent forward slippage in an emergency braking situation, and I had a rope across the back to prevent rearward movement from acceleration or force of wind on the highway, using the high mounted tie down I added to the rear pillar of the box.

I used a strap over the top of both boxes using the rear tie down point, and a 2nd strap over the top using the mid point tie down in the box.

The center tie down is in the perfect spot to use with my tonneau folded like this, just exposed enough to clear the tonneau for a forward strap location.

Today I put one back in the truck to demonstrate, because I know that sounds confusing. I didn't put both back in because they only left a few inches on each side, and I wouldn't be able to photo the tie downs.

QmG32Ft.jpg

NyvC48B.jpg

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
1686142190989.png

well, i never used my middle two, but some people just cant live knowing that the earlier 2019's had 6 and thus created their own false demand for them. people were cheesed, and they hadn't even got their truck yet.

Can we get a show of hands from people who definitely needed the middle two, and what load they hauled that absolutely required them?
OK, hand raised, I use them all the time.
I have a strap across the middle two tie downs that hold many daily loads toward the tailgate.
The boxes, etc.. can't shift forward.
To me, they're very convenient.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
I too often use the middle hook and one of some eye bolts I added to secure items.
IMG_4172.JPG
IMG_4173.1.JPG

RDJTX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger 2023 Ford Edge 1995 Cobra
Occupation
IT Demi-God
Ford removing 2 tie downs from the box, then increasing the price of those parts to 1500% mark-up is absolutely price gouging.
he will never agree with you. it fits the classic definition of price gouging. he gets confused between legal price gouging (which this is) and illegal price gouging (which this is not). He is also of the opinion that if you disagree with him you are wrong.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You all complaining about tie downs. What about the front license plate holder.
What's that? Luckily we don't need those here in AZ. :wink:

As far as the middle tie downs go, I find those extremely useful. More so then the rear ones. You can sugar coat it any way you want but at the end of the day it's price gouging! Thankfully I pilfered my two middle ones of MP1. Otherwise I'd be looking for other options as there's no way I'd pay those prices. :curse:

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Looks like a seller on Amazon has heard about the demand for tie downs. No affiliation. Looks like parts come from China based on info in listing.

HUYILUN0104 2 PCS Rear Bed Steel Tie Down Rope Hook with Screws Compatible with Ford Ranger 2019 2020 2021 2022 KB3Z-21550A74-A https://a.co/d/9MzHZjt

Jqueen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Supercrew XLT 2wd
aCn we get a show of hands from people who definitely needed the middle two, and what load they hauled that absolutely required them?
When hauling a single dirt bike, I often put it diagonally and use my O-track in the middle of the front wall and one of the center tie down points.

When I only had 4, it was the fronts and middles. I very rarely need the rear ones, but they're nice to have.

If I could only have 2, it would be a hard decision between the front and middle. If I have the O-track on the front, I'd definitely put the tie down points in the middle.

Wings06j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT

TuggerNutz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shoes
What's that? Luckily we don't need those here in AZ.
Exactly. Must be super nice to not have to run one. I ended taking off the one I bought to replace the broken one because the bumper can't hold it. I just hope I don't get pulled over because I'll get a ticket for tint. And don't get me started on that. 😂

So how many of you are required to have all of the tie downs by law? 😂
If it's really required by the law I shouldn't have to pay $76 for it. Funny the body shop said they can get it for $35 on their estimate. 🤔

Last edited:

thorn726

First Name
thorn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xl
definitely frustrating. i haul junk, and take a lot of gear to the desert. i needed the extra tie downs. levitttownford had the best deal, about $80 for 2 tie hooks and necessary bolts.
FRUSTRATING: it looks like you could move the front ones up to a spot where they would be easier access. Doesn't work, the holes are too far apart. thinking of finding eye bolts to put in the top holes/ would be ok for holding the mesh cover on i think but i would only use the factory hooks for things like ratchet strap on the dirtbike.

thorn726

First Name
thorn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xl
1686142190989.png

i have the 6ft bed, they are good for keeping cardboard from flying out the sides and also help keep a mesh cover stay tighter to the truck when i go camping or have debris in back BUT to your point: there are those holes you can hook into, i dont Need the strong tie down hooks for the middle, they just make things easier.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
he will never agree with you. it fits the classic definition of price gouging. he gets confused between legal price gouging (which this is) and illegal price gouging (which this is not). He is also of the opinion that if you disagree with him you are wrong.
Is it often your forte to just make up imaginary terms? There is quite literally no such thing as legal price gouging and illegal price gouging there is only price gouging.

FFS. lol

@JACKSMYDOG and I get along just fine I'm just giving him a lot of s*** on this particular topic so if you think you're going to drum up some bandwagon support I think you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Lastly I am wrong plenty of times. Actually initially ignoring the advice of another user I may have missed out on my opportunity to get my new Raptor. I'm glad I was wrong in that case.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Exactly. Must be super nice to not have to run one. I ended taking the one I bought to replace the broken one because the bumper can't hold it. I just hope I don't get pulled over because I'll get a ticket for tint. And don't get me started on that. 😂
I had my factory bumper replaced when I bought the truck, and the front plate holder wasn't compatible, so they didn't install it. I was okay with it, because it would have completely ruined the look of my truck.

I eventually made one but (un)fortunately the day after I installed it, some kindly thief stole the whole assembly ;) and now I'm without a front plate again. So far I've been pulled over twice, but they either didn't notice or didn't care.

It's a little concerning for me, because I also have illegal tint. Front windows here are limited to 70%, and I added 15% over the factory tint, so it's way darker than legal. As much as I hate inviting them to look around in my truck, I put both front windows down as soon as I see the cherries in my rear view and hope for the best.
Sponsored