Ford Tie Down Hook -Talk about price gouging....

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
Wow.... feeling kind of out of the loop now. I bought the missing tiedowns from Ford and moved on with my life.

I wanted tie downs in the middle of the bed. I wanted them to match. I wanted them to be engineered for 661#'s. Didn't like then price, but wanted them badly enough that I could justify it to myself. Knew they would get used, which added a bit of "need" to my internal rationalization. (And they have been used.) So I bought them. Didn't even have to explain it to the warden as it slid under her cost threshold.... though I'm sure she muttered something about "that idiot and his precious Ranger."

Personally, while high, I don't feel the price for the tiedowns reaches the level of me calling it gouging. Pricey? Yes. Gouging? IMO no. Can't quantify it. Just my life, experiences, desire, rationale... all admittedly impacted by my "Tremoritus."

All that said, I still do not have an engine cover. And don't think I will. That ridiculous price gives me pause...
Well said!! We all justify our money differently.
Most of us have bought a smartphone, an Under Armour t-shirt, or popcorn at a movie theater, without even blinking at the price (and in most cases we're actually proud of our purchase), we might as well buy OEM tiedown hooks. The profit margin on the hooks is likely lower than on the three items I mentioned above.
Sponsored

Friday yet?

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.

Max Crafter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
1686142190989.png

well, i never used my middle two, but some people just cant live knowing that the earlier 2019's had 6 and thus created their own false demand for them. people were cheesed, and they hadn't even got their truck yet.

The box is 5.5ft long. the need for the two in the middle is pretty scarce

Can we get a show of hands from people who definitely needed the middle two, and what load they hauled that absolutely required them?

OP
OP

pwrplay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
1686142190989.png

well, i never used my middle two, but some people just cant live knowing that the earlier 2019's had 6 and thus created their own false demand for them. people were cheesed, and they hadn't even got their truck yet.

Can we get a show of hands from people who definitely needed the middle two, and what load they hauled that absolutely required them?
Its not just a matter of need for me, its a matter of convenience or option when strapping gear down in the bed. Sometimes you just can't get to a corner due to objects in the way. This happens especially when helping someone move and the couch or dresser is blocking a corner tie down.

But, after seeing the price of the tie downs, I will resort to what i usually do and that is "make it work" lol

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
1686142190989.png

I find the middle points are incredibly useful for tubs/partial loads and keeping things from sliding back and forth. I pulled the aftermarket tiedowns I had as the hardware had show a little rust. I’ve missed them on a few occasions since.
Also, it’s 5’ bed on the screw, 6’ on the scab.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
Bottom line. Ford is GORGING their profits by GOUGING buyers who buy overpriced parts and GAUGING on these responses, nobody likes it.

Last edited:

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
Bottom line. Ford is GORGING their profits by GOUGING buyers who buy overpriced parts and GAGING on these responses, nobody likes it.
Gorgeous summation.

meistreguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Holy crap, there is a discussion in another thread regarding dealer price gouging MSRP with ADM's on new Rangers, Broncos, etc...., well how about Ford gouging owners on parts like tie down hooks...

$47.00 ($31.00 US?) for a bent piece of metal with 2 holes in it....sheesh. :surprised:...and that's WITH a discount!!

KB3Z-21550A74-A - Tie Down Hook - 2019-2023 Ford Ranger | Eastgate Ford Parts CA (eastgatefordpartscanada.ca)

I found a thread on another forum from back in 2019 when it was only $6.49 (US)......

"Tie Down Hook - Ford (KB3Z-21550A74-A) $6.49 ea, Quan. (2) = $12.98
Tie Down Hook Bolt - Ford (-W505594-S450B) $3.90 ea, Quan. (4) = $15.60"

Me thinks a visit to a auto salvage yard is in order.
Well, these are the same people who are charging hundreds of dollars for a red piece of plastic to cover their taillights...

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Me too! But I think it’s because there is crack in the movie theatre popcorn that makes us slavishly buy it without blinking. 😂
and junior mints... I have never thought to myself or said out loud "I would really like some Junior mints". NEVER but there I am with a $7 box of junior mints and a bucket of stale popcorn with extra amsoil on it

and yes those middle tie downs are handy

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
What you did is scalping, and is generally considered a dick move.
Scalping seems like such a lame term for it. Can we use the term profiteering instead? Sounds way more bad ass instead of it sounding like a dude who stands outside a Taylor Swift concert selling tickets.

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RangerXLT CrewCab 4x4
Scalping seems like such a lame term for it. Can we use the term profiteering instead? Sounds way more bad ass instead of it sounding like a dude who stands outside a Taylor Swift concert selling tickets.
wait - is profiteering another name for Ticketmaster.