First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
so i just picked up my new 2021 XL fx4 last week. The dealer applied the surface care on the paint and interior. Is it snake oil or does it actually do something good?
Sponsored

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
so i just picked up my new 2021 XL fx4 last week. The dealer applied the surface care on the paint and interior. Is it snake oil or does it actually do something good?
Congrats on your new truck.

I don't see how any of the quite helpful folks on this forum can help answer "Is it snake oil?" without more info on exactly what the dealer did. What did they apply?
Does that make sense to you?

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Congrats on your new truck.

I don't see how any of the quite helpful folks on this forum can help answer "Is it snake oil?" without more info on exactly what the dealer did. What did they apply?
Does that make sense to you?
it's literally called "surface care" and is some sort of ceramic spray and then some sort of interior protectant. It probably is bunk but i was sort of roped into it as i thought it came with it from factory until the deal was done then realized. LOL. I will see how it is after i wash it. it better bead.
LOL.

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
it's literally called "surface care" and is some sort of ceramic spray and then some sort of interior protectant. It probably is bunk but i was sort of roped into it as i thought it came with it from factory until the deal was done then realized. LOL. I will see how it is after i wash it. it better bead.
LOL.
most likely snake oil. Dealers will literally sell/say anything to get you to sign.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Congrats on your new Ranger! I wouldn't necessarily say it's "snake oil" but it's probably not anything all that special either. My dealer had applied some stuff (which I cant recall now what it was) to mine too. It was free for 3 years and I had to go back every 6 months for them to reapply it. First thing I did was strip it all off, clay it and applied my own protectant.

There are so many good finishes out there now where you can DYI them yourself and get much better results. I use 303 Graphene on the exterior and 303 Aerospace Protectant on all my interior leather, dash and plastic. If you have cloth they also have some really good fabric guard too.

https://www.goldeagle.com

Last edited:

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
LOL.
Did it come with a warranty? Most of the products sold where I live "guarantee" the paint if bugs, bird droppings, or other environmental damages occur. Same goes for interior stains.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
yes, 3 year warranty.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
i think it's bunk. i know it is. after this weekend's 600 mile trip and rain, whatever was on the hood and the roof washed off. zero beading. i washed it when i got back, zero beading. rub your finger on it and lots of resistance, like an unwaxed car. applied my own sealant and now it's perfect. wish i could get a refund on what i paid for this snake oil. at least i have a 3 year warranty. though they probably would blame my waxing it on that. LOL..i'm jaded.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
i think it's bunk. i know it is. after this weekend's 600 mile trip and rain, whatever was on the hood and the roof washed off. zero beading. i washed it when i got back, zero beading. rub your finger on it and lots of resistance, like an unwaxed car. applied my own sealant and now it's perfect. wish i could get a refund on what i paid for this snake oil. at least i have a 3 year warranty. though they probably would blame my waxing it on that. LOL..i'm jaded.
Warranty is what you paid for. I'd pit a nice coat of wax or ceramic on it. Some of the spray ceramics are easy to use and just as good.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Warranty is what you paid for. I'd pit a nice coat of wax or ceramic on it. Some of the spray ceramics are easy to use and just as good.
yep, did that when i saw zero beading and a rough surface.
Sponsored