First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 lariat fx4 ranger
Occupation
Miner
Is it just me or the original paint sucks? Its not my first ford and i always get to gravel roads and my truck is already scratched, dented… i love the truck but damn that paint is so much thin… im thinking about repainting the whole truck with more layer of paint and clear.
Sponsored

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
It's not just Ford. It's all automakers and the way painting is done today. I ran thru a patch of fresh tar on road and had a detailer remove it. It all came off fine but he mentioned he could barely even wet sand newer vehicles due to how thin the paint is and even put a paint thickness guage on to show the difference

https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/car-care-blog/detailing/paintwork/

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Just wondering what would be the cost to add an extra layer and clear? Self done or done by paint shop? Would it be more cost effective to toss a vinyl wrap on it with more variety of colors?

Had a good bit of paint chips from rocks but nothing crazy, I do drive a bit fast so it probably flicks it with a bit more force. Bought fender flares to solve that problem though.

OP
OP
ragnaroker

ragnaroker

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 lariat fx4 ranger
Occupation
Miner
Around here for only wrapping the bumpers its 600$. I can get a new paint job for 3000$

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Is it just me or the original paint sucks? Its not my first ford and i always get to gravel roads and my truck is already scratched, dented… i love the truck but damn that paint is so much thin… im thinking about repainting the whole truck with more layer of paint and clear.
Not sure how more paint would prevent dents. Scratches maybe. I drive on gravel all the time and I don’t have any scratches. I do have mud flaps and I drive at slow speeds when I hit the gravel. if you’re driving fast enough to throw gravel up on your truck, it’s going to scratch any paint.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
Around here for only wrapping the bumpers its 600$. I can get a new paint job for 3000$
Too bad Earl Scheib was bought by a private equity company, all value siphoned out & then finally shut down for good.

(For young people: Earl Scheib was famous for their, "$99.95 paint job" as touted in their TV ads)

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
My truck came with the 'premium platinum white' paint. Not really sure if it adds much. I don't drive a lot on gravel, but do have property on a gravel road, so time will tell.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
My truck came with the 'premium platinum white' paint. Not really sure if it adds much. I don't drive a lot on gravel, but do have property on a gravel road, so time will tell.
It adds the word, "premium."

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
You pay a premium for platinum white metallic because of the pearl, not the thickness. Although being a tricoat it is possible that it could be thicker.

Also you can thank the environmentalists for this. New cars are all painted with water based paint nowadays. If you get a respray you might be able to opt for solvent based depending on your local regulations.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
You pay a premium for platinum white metallic because of the pearl, not the thickness. Although being a tricoat it is possible that it could be thicker.

Also you can thank the environmentalists for this. New cars are all painted with water based paint nowadays. If you get a respray you might be able to opt for solvent based depending on your local regulations.
Copy. I'm of the opinion that I will pay a premium for better products for the environment. I know I'm probably in the minority with that thinking, but that's how I roll.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Copy. I'm of the opinion that I will pay a premium for better products for the environment. I know I'm probably in the minority with that thinking, but that's how I roll.
If it's better for the environment AND performs better I'm all for it. If it's a forced downgrade in performance for a negligible environmental benefit sold to regulators by lobbyists, no thanks. ;)

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Too bad Earl Scheib was bought by a private equity company, all value siphoned out & then finally shut down for good.

(For young people: Earl Scheib was famous for their, "$99.95 paint job" as touted in their TV ads)
I think there's still MAACO if you want a bargain basement paintjob.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Mine is a rock magnet and yes its super thin water-based paint...cant say im impressed with the coatings on ALL of the production vehicles I've seen lately..

Jim C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger

you forgot "Ill paint any car any color for 99.99" "RIGHT! ! !"
Sponsored