Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So what you're saying is that my Katskin "Premium" Leather seats are in fact less than premium leather . . . .
Exactly right. None of today's trucks contain real leather. The simple fact is that the majority of leather used in today's automobiles is protected leather – this type of leather has a pigmented 'color coat' with a polyurethane/acrylate 'top coat' specifically designed for automotive applications. and even that "leather" is only on the seating surfaces not the entire seats...

NO "leather conditioner" will affect anything as it is essentially being applied to Vinyl. I use 303 for my "leather" seats.

If water does not soak in and instead rolls off...its not real leather hide. but a vinyl coated form of leather" don't waste your time with expensive leather conditioners even Mercedes-Benz and BMW are not using pure leather anymore. Toyota calls its leather Soft-Tex no leather at all. Just glorified vinyl.

Cracks and Peels
Leather
itself does not crack or peel under normal conditions, but an applied finish or colorant upon its surface may.

In the never-ending quest to cut costs, car manufacturers are increasingly using fake man-made leathers (or ‘pleather’) more liberally, which is actually made from polyurethane. And we’re not just talking about cars on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

The likes of BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi increasingly rely on fake leather in their more affordable models, and many mainstream manufacturers sell cars with a blend of genuine leather and synthetic vinyl seats – and most are deliberately ambiguous when describing what products they’re actually using.

I don't believe Katzskin uses real leather hides. Just vinyl-coated mishmash of leather. Real leather absorbs water If it does not,it is a plastic polyurethane leather

https://m.wikihow.com/Identify-Genuine-Leather

https://www.z-onetoledo.com/the-different-types-of-leather-used-in-vehicles/
Sponsored

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly right. None of today's trucks contain real leather. The simple fact is that the majority of leather used in today's automobiles is protected leather – this type of leather has a pigmented 'color coat' with a polyurethane/acrylate 'top coat' specifically designed for automotive applications. and even that "leather" is only on the seating surfaces not the entire seats...

NO "leather conditioner" will affect anything as it is essentially being applied to Vinyl. I use 303 for my "leather" seats.

If water does not soak in and instead rolls off...its not real leather hide. but a vinyl coated form of leather" don't waste your time with expensive leather conditioners even Mercedes-Benz and BMW are not using pure leather anymore. Toyota calls its leather Soft-Tex no leather at all. Just glorified vinyl.

Cracks and Peels
Leather
itself does not crack or peel under normal conditions, but an applied finish or colorant upon its surface may.

In the never-ending quest to cut costs, car manufacturers are increasingly using fake man-made leathers (or ‘pleather’) more liberally, which is actually made from polyurethane. And we’re not just talking about cars on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

The likes of BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi increasingly rely on fake leather in their more affordable models, and many mainstream manufacturers sell cars with a blend of genuine leather and synthetic vinyl seats – and most are deliberately ambiguous when describing what products they’re actually using.

I don't believe Katzskin uses real leather hides. Just vinyl-coated mishmash of leather. Real leather absorbs water If it does not,it is a plastic polyurethane leather

https://m.wikihow.com/Identify-Genuine-Leather

https://www.z-onetoledo.com/the-different-types-of-leather-used-in-vehicles/
Hi Tom,

Lariat has leather trim....much different than leather seating surfaces... That said...one of my engineers most hated jobs, done on a rotating basis was to feed the Nogas every day....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engneering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Very informative, now that you've mentioned it, the so-called leather used in the Lariats appears to have a texture more like pigskin.
Unless, of course, the cow had severe acne issues...
:crazy:

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
Like @SubVet I use 303 as well occasionally but mainly for trim. Typically what I do for a quick clean and wipe down....I just use a spray bottle with water, a microfiber cloth and a little elbow grease on my vehicles "leather" seats.

Viator092

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BMW 440i, 15 VW Golf TDI, 19 Ford Ranger Lariat

fergusonbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Occupation
sale manager
Choose a leather care product depending on leather type. To clean and take care of my leather car interior, I use a product LatherCare Condition for lambskin. In general, it is very important to know what is made of and how to properly care for the seat's leather. Here is an example description about full-grain https://leather-toolkits.com/types-of-leather/full-grain-leather/

Kevreh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat RWD
Can this top coat wear off in time, exposing the underlying leather?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Saddle soap and elbow grease. Been conditioning leather since the beginning of time that way. Reason it’s still around is it works!

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I came to the conclusion you are treating the coating, but I still feel there is benefit conveyed to the material underneath. I'd say any quality cleaner/protectant won't hurt, cleaning being as important as coating as it keeps the interior smelling good too. I've got a dash cover I use intermittently (not fond of) had UV blocking tint installed ($$) and a reflective windshield screen.

I've been through Meguires Leather cleaner/'protectant' and currently working through some Chemical Guys product ($$).

I'd be just as confident in 303 or Adam's brands for this.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Can this top coat wear off in time, exposing the underlying leather?
Not any more than any vinyl coating. Probably much heartier than real leather surfaces.
Expensive leather "conditioners" never touch real leather.... in most if not all of today's sub $100K vehicles.

TheRoushRanger046

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Roush Ranger
I’m using Mothers VLR on my internal leather, vinyl and plastics. Seats and dash and door and steering wheel and whatnot. No residue like armor all and no sheen. Am curious what others use as I’m new to this product.
Using this currently. I’m on a Mothers kick lately. . .

Mothers VLR
Mothers Interior Detailer
Mothers back to black
Mothers tire & wheels shine
Sponsored