alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
Hey folks,

I just wanted to warn folks who were thinking about using Dr. Color chip on the front bumper of their trucks to cover some paint chipping, I ended up using it and having an issue where it actually seemed to have lightly etched the paint around the chip. You can see the etching (kinda ...) in the picture provided.

I followed the instructions on the box to the letter, even reviewed this video prior to using the product: How to use the Dr. ColorChip System to fix rock chips on your car! - YouTube

It the etching is only visible from some perspectives, but I have decided to just live with the chip instead of trying to add a 2nd and 3rd coat to really cover it up. I am now concerned about the product causing damage to the truck's paint.

I am in the process of reaching out to the company about this issue, recently sent them an email. I will follow up with what happens next.

Paint etch around chip 1.jpg
Sponsored

Retired1sg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Camry SE, 2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Retired Military
I almost never notice paint chips on other peoples cars. Touch up paint though? Can spot it almost immediately.

tintingkc

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Does it matter?
The photo has too busy of a reflection to make out what you are trying to relay. I will say that system has nothing in it that will swell or cause any oddities in the factory paint. Its pretty weak. Have used it for the better part of 16 years and its nothing special. I touch up ford paint weekly and use solvents that are much harsher.

Its possible that some of the flattening solution was left behind giving the appearance that its etched. Maybe a quick polish in that area to rule it out. 3M adhesive remover works well too. Gets rid of any residue left behind.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
It looks more like too much touchup paint was applied and too little of the remover compound used to pull the excess off the undamaged paint.
Sponsored