Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
Ceramic Seal Coat Prep. for the Ford Ranger

Ceramic Seal Coat for the "new" 2019 Ford Ranger XL, XLT or Lariat paint surface with Mequiars's Hybrid Ceramic Wax.
Revision 1.0a
Author: DIYAndy
7/26/19
Updates: indent and whitespace fixes 7/28/19
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ford Ranger Surface Preparation Steps "before" Mequiars's Hybrid Ceramic Wax:
These steps are necessary to remove all paint surface contaminates, waxes, dirt, grime, rail dust, iron, fallout, oils, brake dust and sealants, so Mequiars's Hybrid Ceramic Wax can be applied to the Ranger's virgin paint surface.
One chemical or solution is normally not enough to prepare the Ranger's paint surface for Mequiars's Hybrid Ceramic Wax.

TIP: Wait at least 3 months after receiving your "new" vehicle from FMC Wayne Assembly Plant Detroit for the factory paint to cure!

TIP: Make sure the vehicle is out of the sun and in the shade, and the vehicle surface is cool to the touch.
Early morning or late evening is ideal to reduce water evaporation times.

TIP: Never use a "normal" automated car wash with moving fibre bristles that touch your vehicle - go "touchless" or DIY - do it by hand or pressure washer. IMHO

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beginning steps of vehicle paint surface preparation for Mequiars's Hybrid Ceramic Wax:
Please note: Not all steps are needed - depends on "your" paint surface characteristics.
Also, some steps are needed to be preformed only once for Mequiars's Hybrid Ceramic Wax treatment.

Prep. Steps:
1. Fill, with water, two 5 gallon plastic buckets, one for RINSE and the other one with a vehicle WASH SOAP/water solution.
Insert Cyclone Dirt Traps (Use different color dirt traps for easy wash/rinse indication) into each 5 gallon
bucket.
Cover buckets with lids and transport in back of truck bed to vehicle wash prep area.

2. Do a "touchless" automated vehicle/truck wash, if possible, or thoroughly "manually" RINSE, SOAP, RINSE and DRY the Ranger.
Observe the water beading on the vehicle paint and make notes of it.

3. Griot's Garage "Iron & Fallout Remover" (For iron and fallout removal)
a. APPLY solution to a "dry" vehicle and allow solution to dwell 3-5 minutes. (Ambient temperature
dependent)
b. AGITATE solution with foam scrubber and soap suds prepare from step #1.
c. Allow solution to dwell for another 3 minutes and RINSE thoroughly.
Please Note: The color of this solution changes color (to pinkest purple) to indicate it's working!
**** DO NOT ALLOW THIS SOLUTION TO DRY ON VEHICLE! ****
Please Note: Use Griot's Garage "Iron & Fallout Remover" BEFORE claying.

4. Check all vehicle surfaces with plastic baggie, over your hand, for surface contaminates.
Is all the vehicle's surfaces smooth or do you feel bumps with the plastic baggie over your hand and
fingers?
If yes, do step #5 otherwise skip step #5.

5. Using Mother's "Speed Clay 2.0" - "Clay as you wash method" (use only once before ceramic prep!)
a. Clay one area at a time - about 2 square feet.
b. Keeping the working section well lubricated, dip Speed Clay 2.0 into the WASH SOAP bucket
(Step #1) and lightly glide across surface in linear, overlapping motions.
c. Once area feels smooth to the touch, RINSE remaining suds and DRY using a soft, clean
microfiber or terry cloth towel.
d. Repeat process until vehicle is complete.

6. Chemical Guys "Clean Slate" - (Vehicle surface cleaner removes grime, waxes, sealants and oils)
a. Discard previous soap wash/rinse solutions in step #1)
b. Pour 1 oz. of Clean Slate in ~ 5 gallons of water in a (clean) wash bucket.
c. Fill another 5 gallon bucket with clean rinse water.
d. WASH vehicle from top to bottom with microfiber wash mitt with clean slate.
e. RINSE using clean water. Check for close water beading - if there is a lot of water beading do step
#7 otherwise skip step #7.
f. DRY with quality microfiber towel or terry cloth towel. (in one direction and from top to bottom)

7. IPA Wipe Mixture (Optional - if needed ) - 91% Isopropyl alcohol & distilled water H2O (de-ionized &
de-mineralized)
Safe 25% IPA Wipe Solution - 32 oz. sprayer bottle used.
25% IPA mixture - Total hand sprayer IPA bottle mixture volume 400 ml / 13.5 oz.
300 ml. / 10.1 oz. of distilled H2O & 100 ml. / 3.4 oz. of IPA (91% Isopropyl alcohol)

Maximum 50% IPA Wipe Solution - 32 oz. sprayer bottle used.
Total hand sprayer IPA bottle mixture volume 400 ml / 13.5 oz.
200 ml. / 6.8 oz. of distilled H2O & 200 ml. / 6.8 oz. of IPA (91% Isopropyl alcohol)

a. Prepare 25% Safe IPA Wipe Solution in sprayer bottle.
b. RINSE vehicle
c. Check for water beading on vehicle - if there is a lot, DRY vehicle with a microfiber towel
then use the 25% IPA Wipe solution on a clean microfiber towel, on the whole vehicle.
d. Re-check for water beading - there should be hardly none - just water sheeting.
If not, repeat and apply a 50% Max. IPA Wipe solution - This is the maximum that should be
applied!!!!

Now you are ready to apply Mequiars's Hybrid Ceramic Wax.

End of vehicle paint surface preparation for Mequiars's Hybrid Ceramic Wax

Mequiars's Hybrid Ceramic Wax Applications:
Mequiars's Hybrid Ceramic Wax. [Initial base coat - one time only!]
a. RINSE (the previous clean) vehicle. (Mequiars's solution is water activated!)
b. SPRAY Mequiars's Hybrid Ceramic Wax generously over all external surfaces.
c. DRY the vehicle with a quality microfiber towel or terry cloth towel.

Note: Wait several hours between both applications.

Mequiars's Hybrid Ceramic Wax. [Final coat & for maintenance coats every 3 - 6 months]
a. RINSE (the previous clean) vehicle. (Mequiars's solution is water activated!)
b. SPRAY Mequiars's Hybrid Ceramic Wax over all external surfaces.
c. Starting at the roof, use a strong stream of water to RINSE the vehicle a second time.
The hydropower of this rinse will spread the product, coating all the exterior with
Hybrid Ceramic protection.
d. DRY the vehicle with a quality microfiber towel or terry cloth towel(s).

Supplies:
Note: Not all supplies are necessary - use your own judgement.
The DIY supplies cost is far less than a commercial ceramic applications of $800 - $1500.
The commercial ceramic coatings will last longer but Mequiars's Hybrid Ceramic Wax is very inexpensive and is so easy to obtain, to apply and to maintain.

Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash (pink solution) - Solution 64 oz. ~ $7 - Auto parts store.
Wash bucket: 1 oz./ 4 cap fulls per gallon of water - 5 oz. or 20 capfuls per 5 gal.
Foam Cannon: 1 oz./ 4 = 0.25 oz. or one cap full per 32 oz. or ~ 1000 ml.
Or
Turtle Wax M.A.X. Power Car Wash - (green solution) - Walmart or any auto parts store. ~ $5 Menards
Wash bucket: Use 3,6,9 oz. per gallon of water - user preference
Foam Cannon 1000 ml = ~ 34 fl oz. -- use only 32 oz. (1 quart) or 946 ml.
4 qt. = gal, use 3 oz./4 - 0.75 oz., 6 oz./4 - 1.5 oz., or 9 oz./4 - 2.25 oz.
Griot's Garage "Iron & Fallout Remover" 22 oz. ~ $23 - Amazon
Mother's "Speed Clay 2.0" - ~ $22 - Auto parts store.
Chemical Guys "Clean Slate" 16 oz. ~ $15 - Amazon
Mequiars's "Hybrid Ceramic Wax" (Light blue bottle 26 oz.) ~ $12 - $15 - Any big box store or auto parts store.
91% Isopropyl alcohol - Walmart ~ $2.50
Distilled water H2O (de-ionized & de-mineralized) - Walmart ~ $0.80 / gal.

2 5 gallon plastic buckets with lids. ~ $3-$5 ea. Lowe's, Home Depot, Menards
2 colored (different) Cyclone Dirt Traps for 5 gallon buckets. Amazon, Jegs automotive, Chemical Guys
Quality microfiber towels or terry cloth towels or "check pattern" microfiber dry towels - Any auto parts store.
Microfiber foam applicator or foam scrubber. - Any auto parts store.
Microfiber wash mitt. - Any auto parts store.
32 oz. spray bottle - Walmart ~ $2
Optional - 1000 ml. Foam Cannon - Amazon ~ $15 -- Used with a pressure washer.

Detailing educational tips for novices and professionals alike - links:

Ref: Youtube Pan The Organizer

Disclaimer: I have tried all the above steps, with caution, on my new 2019 Ford Ranger. Please follow
each product's instructions very carefully and only try the solutions on a very small inconspicuous area
to see the test results. I am not responsible for any mishap(s) that might occur on your vehicle!

My Ceramic Coat Prep. Notes:
1. Detroit is famous for rail/iron dust but Griot's Garage "Iron & Fallout Remover" did the job in removing the iron particles and industrial fallout.
Use this expensive chemical sparingly on the vehicle or you might run out!
2. The baggie test failed, on my new Ranger vehicle (all surfaces) due to surface contaminates. Had to clay the paint surface. I used Mother's Clay 2.0.
3. The Chemical Guys "Clean Slate" removed all surface coatings (except paint seal coat) and caused the rinse water to sheet (good) instead of beading (bad)
(Water/rinse sheeting means waxes, polishes and other surface preps. are gone. Water/rinse beading means there are still waxes, polishes present on the surface)
4. The 91% Isopropyl alcohol & distilled water step 7 (both 25% and 50% steps) was not necessary because Car Guys Clean Slate did the job! 1 oz in 5 gallons of water!
5. Time it took for the prep. ~ 5 hours. Of course, as a shortcut, you could clean and dry your vehicle then apply Mequiars's "Hybrid Ceramic Wax"
but I can guarantee you that your results will be inferior compared to mine.
6. The final step of applying Mequiars's Hybrid Ceramic Wax took about 2 hours per application. I took my time, for this final step, for the best results.
One bottle of Mequiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax should do the Ranger but again use this chemical sparingly on the vehicle or you might run out!
7. Mequiars's assumes you know what drying is but to be clear - you need to dry their chemical, on the paint surface with a microfiber towel(s), to a light haze then go back over the surface with another dry microfiber towel to lightly buff this haze off the vehicle. It might take several microfiber towels to do the job.
8. Cyclone Dirt Traps keep the dirt trapped in the bottom of the rinse and wash buckets. Be sure to thoroughly clean the traps and buckets after use.

Talk is cheap but a picture is worth a thousand words!
First pic - Tools of the trade.
Second pic - my (metallic - paint code N6) Lightning Blue XL Ranger with only one coat of Mequiars (base coat)
Be sure to put your sun glasses on before viewing this picture or you might go blind!;)

Tools_Of_The_Trade.JPG

One_coat_on_vehicle.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, not gonna do that!
It's backbreaking and requires a lot of time, effort and money but it only has to be done once or twice a year;)
I was surprised that my new Ford Ranger easily failed the "baggie test" but claying took care of that.;)

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
I have used this on my ranger for about two months. I did not clay bar, I just washed, rinsed and apply one dry an wiped off waited then rinsed and applied while wet rinse and dried THE first time ONLY. After that i wash using two buckets and rinse spray on and dry, really adds no time to the wash. I could have done the clay bar first. But not sure it is worth the time for me

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No way I have the time for that. :LOL:
Looking back, at all the preparation steps for Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax and the time it took, I would "only" do it again "only" on a new, pristine, factory Ranger vehicle only ONCE due to the surface contaminates from Detroit.

That being said, by doing Mother's 2.0 claying during the first clean, wash cycle and by using Car Guy's "Clean Slate" immediately afterwards would speed the process up to less than 1 hour.;)

Last edited:

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
53BB1E4C-4B3B-4C33-B050-36B7165B08AA.jpeg
DE988183-50EF-437E-9617-52BC0E2F636A.jpeg
78CCAFE6-07F5-4B82-BB9D-91161D07AED7.jpeg
I can vouch for the product, picked up a bottle a couple weeks ago and been waiting to have time to make it happen. I just gave it a thorough wash, hit it with Mother’s Claybar 2.0, rinsed and dried then applied like wax. No need for extra finish prep for me (thank god) as I’m not in as harsh of an environment as far as industrial pollution goes. Total time invested about 3 hrs with no breaks

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks.
5 hrs would be a more reasonable amount of time to devote to it as I probably sweated out 5lbs of water working at a breakneck pace to get it done

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Some good info...exactly what a good detailer will do to your car. As he said, it's a good idea to get the initial rail dust and other bonded contaminants off the clear coat...otherwise you'll just be waxing over it.

Both Meguiars Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner or Eagle 1 Black & Plastic Triple Foaming Cleaner (found at O'Reilly's), do exactly the same thing as Griot's Iron Remover for a lot less money.

Also, if you do a good job on step 6, there's no need for a step 7. A good paint prep will do more than ISO alcohol and is all you need.

The process may seem overwhelming to some, but it probably takes more time to read and figure out the first time than it does to actually do, particularly on a new car.

Tyler

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I went to a drive through car wash, went home and clay bar'd, then applied "Nasiol ZR53" ceramic coat ($70 on amazon). I work at a chemical plant that pits paint and windows pretty bad and go to a car wash daily. After several months (~20 car washes per month), its still holding up perfectly. In a few months, I'll probably do the same process again.

Wschnitz

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like a lot of work to put a simple spray on 'ceramic' wax coating on.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like a lot of work to put a simple spray on 'ceramic' wax coating on.
That is a great understatement!

Ford Ranger owners pays between $24,300 to $44,000 + for their trim models and a ceramic paint prep. will protect their expensive investment. This extensive paint surface ceramic prep. only has to be done only "once" for a factory new Ranger vehicle from Detroit.

The detailed steps, I listed for the Ceramic prep., greatly helps in removing paint surface contaminates, waxes, dirt, grime, rail dust, iron, fallout, oils, brake dust and sealants.

Since your location is Bellingham, WA - I can bet or assure you that your Ranger was shipped by rail from Detroit and has rail/iron dust plus other contaminants on the paint surface. When was the last time you have seen a covered vehicle on a rail car? The dealer(s) just waxes over the contaminants or does nothing for their dealer prep.

Of course, you could wash/dry your vehicle and apply the ceramic hybrid wax to save time and money BUT as one forum member said "it's a good idea to get the initial rail dust and other bonded contaminants off the clear coat...otherwise you'll just be waxing over it." and IMHO the paint surface will not look as good and shine.

I listed all the separate detailed prep. steps in removing contaminates but the prep. steps can be greatly reduced/combined/modified to save prep. time. I researched only the best chemicals with only the best reviews I could find to do a quality surface prep. job on my Ranger. The recommended supplies/vendor list can be greatly reduced with alternative, competing lower priced products. :wink:

Last edited:

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
Yeah, not gonna do that!
Me either - but the video I just watched made it seem pretty simple.... I'm sure as a lazy old man there is something I'm missing. BTW will never touch a clay bar regardless.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
but the video I just watched made it seem pretty simple
If wasn't for all the talking, it could be a good video but the professional video on Mequiar's Hybird Ceramic Wax (first topic #1 thread above) is more informative IMHO ;)
Not "claying" for a new Ranger from Detroit will cut down the prep. time for Mequiars Hybird Ceramic Wax but the results will definitely show IMHO;)
Sponsored

Last edited: