First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Only plugs I ever broke off were in cast iron head V6 in one of my jet sleds.
Sponsored

Redwinemaker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heating and AC
Very Stupid, Ford. Probably lost a customer for life, along with anyone you talk with. Stupid greed costs way more than great customer service.
Long story short version. Bought my 2019 Ford ranger brand new put a small leveling kit on it with some decent tire size tires. Specifics are in my profile. Babied this truck. Maintenance followed routinely. I’m 46 years old little to no where in tear I actually drive like a grandpa. Fast forward to one month ago. Driving on the highway started having hesitation took it straight to Ford in the computer said it was misfiring. Very next day it was determined that my spark plugs were rusted and one of them was seized in the engine. My buddy who is one of the service managers called me and asked me if I had some submerged my truck or off roaded. Neither nor. Told me it would be $600 to replace the plugs. Two days later he called me and told me they couldn’t get one of the plugs out. Now it was gonna be $1300 to replace the plug and the coil. Three days later, they still can’t get the plug out Five days later the plug still won’t come out now they need to replace not only the coil but the head and it was going to take 22 hours of labor. It is now $2300. They were telling me worst-case scenario might be $3200. Turns out on this forum It was determined that is an engineering flaw. Ford is telling me that the reason my spark plugs are rusted because I’ve over washed my truck. They refuse to cover any sort of work. I have 61,000 miles on my truck and I’ve called the customer service line where they were complete, jerks and again refused to cover any of the work, there is a TSB bulletin that tells Ford to put an engine cover on trucks, such as mine to prevent water vapors from getting into the spark plugs. Ford knows there is an issue I now haven’t had my truck for over three weeks. Luckily, my friend who owns the dealership is willing to buy it from me. Still uncertain of the total cost or afford will cover anything. We are in a scenario where we are challenging the decision. Bottom line I just got a Tacoma today

if there’s anybody who’s experiencing the same sort of dilemma, or issue with rusted spark plugs, please message me I’m curious. As of now, I will never buy another Ford or recommend another Ford to any human being on this earth that I encounter. Otherwise, I absolutely loved my ranger and I’m sad this has happened.

Redwinemaker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heating and AC
Wow, I'm in the same boat. One plug seized or rusted to the head, I'm with you, they know there is a problem or must. They refuse to cover under warranty even the extended warranty, quoted me 10K for a new head? I'm still in shock. My theory is that the hood being uninsulated is forming condensation on the underside as it would on the top on a cold morning and dripping on the motor filling the spark plug wells with water, that's where the TSB 22-2025 comes into play, it sheds the condensate water. I was told they withdrew this TSB, no kidding, have to try to hide the obvious defect. I'm at a loss and told them to get me back on the road so I can take the truck to someone that won't rob me. I hope everyone is made aware of this issue before it's too late for your vehicle. Looks like another class action might be coming, similar to the blown head gasket issue on prior years with the 2.0 liter. This whole situation is really beyond pathetic and it pains me, I feel so bad for anyone that had to actually pay for the repair, this is no better than any other scam and it's being perpetrated by an iconic American company.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Wow, I'm in the same boat. One plug seized or rusted to the head, I'm with you, they know there is a problem or must. They refuse to cover under warranty even the extended warranty, quoted me 10K for a new head? I'm still in shock. My theory is that the hood being uninsulated is forming condensation on the underside as it would on the top on a cold morning and dripping on the motor filling the spark plug wells with water, that's where the TSB 22-2025 comes into play, it sheds the condensate water. I was told they withdrew this TSB, no kidding, have to try to hide the obvious defect. I'm at a loss and told them to get me back on the road so I can take the truck to someone that won't rob me. I hope everyone is made aware of this issue before it's too late for your vehicle. Looks like another class action might be coming, similar to the blown head gasket issue on prior years with the 2.0 liter. This whole situation is really beyond pathetic and it pains me, I feel so bad for anyone that had to actually pay for the repair, this is no better than any other scam and it's being perpetrated by an iconic American company.
No that's not it. It's a defect in the cowl where two halves meet that allows water to drip/pour onto the head. It's always #1 cylinder for anyone who has this problem.

Redwinemaker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heating and AC
No that's not it. It's a defect in the cowl where two halves meet that allows water to drip/pour onto the head. It's always #1 cylinder for anyone who has this problem.
Thanks for the info, obviously we have to speculate since Ford won't come clean. Where is the cowl?

Max Crafter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I havent read all the posts, but has anyone googled tacoma broken spark plugs yet?

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Tucson AZ, hot as hell and dry as talc. I bought an engine cover after I looked and saw the naked ugly top of the motor, thought someone had stolen the cover. I don't wash under the hood. Turns out Ford put that only on the Lariat version. In any case, I feel like I should pull the plugs and coat them with antiseize before they lock them selves to the heads and the cheap ass idjuts @ Ford refuse to fix the seized plugs.

MikeyB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired

Looks like Ford's solution to the #4 spark plug corrosion problems some people are having was to put a cover over the last plug and it looks like it covers the high pressure fuel pump?
No more engine cover fix, if you can call it a fix
Go to 3:52 mark for a view of the engine

Last edited:

djsilver

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I live in Tucson AZ, hot as hell and dry as talc. I bought an engine cover after I looked and saw the naked ugly top of the motor, thought someone had stolen the cover. I don't wash under the hood. Turns out Ford put that only on the Lariat version. In any case, I feel like I should pull the plugs and coat them with antiseize before they lock them selves to the heads and the cheap ass idjuts @ Ford refuse to fix the seized plugs.
I just looked at mine and the spark plug coil at the back of the head appears to be blocked in by a fuel line (high pressure fuel pump?) There's also a fuel hard line laying next to it that looks like it would prevent rotating the coil to get it out from under the other fuel line.
IMG_1076.JPG

Crow_of_judgement

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger screw lariat
Occupation
Parks and recreation maintenance
Sounds like my engine cover just quadrupled in value since it actually serves a purpose, let's start the bidding at 1 million dollars
Sponsored