Ford refusing to honor Bumper to Bumper Warranty

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
My guess is Ford understands how to determine if the failure was due to user error of not properly placing it in tow neutral mode. Likely related to what codes are present and what codes are not present.
IMO, that's not what the memo that was posted says; instead, it says that if a transmission blows up and there's any indication that the vehicle was towed, it's not covered. More specifically, there's nothing about a diagnostic procedure to determine whether the proper procedure was used.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Is English your second language?

"LIKELY"

And I acknowledged that your assertion that it company can be sued in small claims was correct.

Your incorrect assertion was the first. That small claims was a viable recourse for the OP.

Somebody never participated in debate and most definitely doesn't understand the assignment.

Typical of somebody who has no leg to stand on to take their ball and go home.

Enjoy your weekend!
OK, this "debate" has gone far enough. Please cease all responses on this topic.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Well my .02 is I cannot believe all these massive fuel eating RVs having to tow pickups, sometimes full sized, I see these things packed side by side in RV parks all over highway 160 in southern colorado. Buy a tent and pack it in the bed of the Ranger . Having said this I have a number of friends who have those things, one guy does tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee with his, but at 70 yrs old I'll do my camping in a tent, will no longer go to camp grounds where I have to listen to generators running and hear people sitting in their RVs watching TV and microwaving dinner. That is not camping. If higher gas prices keeps those things parked so be it. :)

Dustoff262

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, black package
Post a throrough YouTube video of your experience. Then tell the audience NOT to buy ford rangers until this is fixed.

Major corporations are terrified of negative video reviews. Watch what happens.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
jeez I just made it in under the wire !
I guess I wasn't very clear - Sorry - I was not referring to the discussion about the transmission failure due to flat towing, I was talking about the legal discussion between @D Fresh and @Augie81 . That is the discussion that should be terminated immediately. It was not productive and getting out of hand.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Bill, the local dealer stated to me the warranty refusal was based upon what they observed when they looked at the transmission, not error codes. And the refusal was based upon the Ford service directive (which includes pictures of the damaged trans). This is what is so irritating to me is Ford doesn't care about the cause or that I performed to the directions of the manual. Their position is if the end result is "this" deny the claim because it obviously isn't the products fault!
The input shaft code is a tell tale sign that the transmission was not in nuetral. Like it ir not, they have their proof, and you have none.
Well my .02 is I cannot believe all these massive fuel eating RVs having to tow pickups, sometimes full sized, I see these things packed side by side in RV parks all over highway 160 in southern colorado. Buy a tent and pack it in the bed of the Ranger . Having said this I have a number of friends who have those things, one guy does tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee with his, but at 70 yrs old I'll do my camping in a tent, will no longer go to camp grounds where I have to listen to generators running and hear people sitting in their RVs watching TV and microwaving dinner. That is not camping. If higher gas prices keeps those things parked so be it. :)

I never understood that. Who goes camping to listen to a small engine running all night?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I wasn't very clear - Sorry - I was not referring to the discussion about the transmission failure due to flat towing, I was talking about the legal discussion between @D Fresh and @Augie81 . That is the discussion that should be terminated immediately. It was not productive and getting out of hand.
Well my comment isn't much better than their back and forth - a rant about RVs. I did sleep in one just last weekend - it was big, $85 k, but it was parked at a friends ranch where his wife won't allow his friends to sleep in their house (smart lady) and I got stuck sleeping in the area where 2 sleeping positions were stacked above each other so it was cramped. But this guy has this towable RV , 2 of those campers that fit on the bed of a pickup, an atv and side by, 2 boats, several small teardrops, horse trailers, a Ford F-250 with the 6.7 diesel, and a couple of SUVs. And most of this stuff is rarely used, go figure.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The input shaft code is a tell tale sign that the transmission was not in nuetral. Like it ir not, they have their proof, and you have none.

I never understood that. Who goes camping to listen to a small engine running all night?
I'm lucky because my wife doesn't mind sleeping in a tent - know a number of guys whose wives won't camp unless it's an RV. I have to laugh because when I get up to pee ta night the wife also goes outside of the tent and squats rather than using the vaults if we are in a formal camp ground, but a few years back she gets up in the am and goes behind the tent to pee not realizing that there was a camp ground pretty close behind us where she could be easily seen - but really it's the outdoors so pretty natural.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
that doesn't prove he didnt start off in neutral though , or that he didnt do it properly , just proves that at some point it came out of neutral , if whatever part fails , then the shaft would engage and set the codes , thats how i understand it anyway ...

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
, I was talking about the legal discussion between @D Fresh and @Augie81 . That is the discussion that should be terminated immediately. It was not productive and getting out of hand.
You actually read that crap ? hahaha J/K everybody ! no hate ! (both those guys hate me already)

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
that doesn't prove he didnt start off in neutral though , or that he didnt do it properly , just proves that at some point it came out of neutral , if whatever part fails , then the shaft would engage and set the codes , thats how i understand it anyway ...
How would it "come out of nuetral?"

Ford has all the proof they need to say that without a doubt the transmission was not in nuetral at some point.

The OP has nothing to state that it ever was in nuetral, let alone that it mysteriously popped out.

Sucks, but they really don't jave a complaint here.

Had they documented the process on video with a roll test, who knows? Maybe Ford would have covered it?
You actually read that crap ? hahaha J/K everybody ! no hate ! (both those guys hate me already)
Can't say that I hate anybody here.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Bill, the local dealer stated to me the warranty refusal was based upon what they observed when they looked at the transmission, not error codes. And the refusal was based upon the Ford service directive (which includes pictures of the damaged trans). This is what is so irritating to me is Ford doesn't care about the cause or that I performed to the directions of the manual. Their position is if the end result is "this" deny the claim because it obviously isn't the products fault!
I understand what you are saying and am sympathetic to it (as well as the major dent in your checkbook :(). My point is just that Ford likely has telemetry that says the transmission was damaged by improper towing (and probably can prove it, according to their engineering team if sued). I can't fault Ford for denying a claim that from their point of view could only happen if you towed it improperly.

My point about me probably disconnecting the drive shaft if I have to do an all four tow is related more to my basic skepticism that people can figure every little detail out, even engineers, so maybe there is a very small chance their telemetry isn't fool proof. ;)

I will say though, I was a pilot for most of my life and was always interested in accidents that were attributed to pilot error. I can't tell you how many times I read an account where the pilot swore up and down he followed the emergency checklist precisely, only to find out he had missed critical items that he remembered precisely he had accomplished. The human brain is a very amazing organ, it will remember things you KNOW you did, when in fact, you physically didn't do it. I think from Ford's point of view, unless you can prove you did it precisely as outlined in the OM they have to assume their engineers didn't miss anything in the neutral tow design.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
How would it "come out of nuetral?"
im not sure but i assume some electronic solenoid thingy is pushing or pulling a pin to lock it in or out , and it needs power to do so , that seems like it can fail to me even if done properly , when the EST (electronic solenoid thingy) fails , then things would engage and codes would be set , but i really have NO CLUE how it actually works , but Ford position of "it can only happen if you do it wrong" is not believable to me ...
Sponsored