Ford Performance Tune

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
No, the FPP includes a new filter, but no changes to the filter box or air tubing.

The total gain may be higher than the 15hp from Roush, or may be the same. Would love to see a real dyno comparison of the two options.

Both options seem to have VERY modest gains at a fairly high price, but do protect the warranty.
How can you get a new air filter in the same box?
The new filter is supposed to have 22% more air flow...I would guess that to mean more surface area.
The muffler has a one inch restriction to dampen noise. The cat back opens these pipes as well as removes that restriction. I see that as an improvement. Why would I pay for a new filter and expect increased performance?
I suspect you can do better with performance by not investing in Ford's "copied" package.
Sponsored

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
How can you get a new air filter in the same box?
The new filter is supposed to have 22% more air flow...I would guess that to mean more surface area.
Believe the filter is a K&N style oiled cotton type dimensionally similar to the OEM one.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Believe the filter is a K&N style oiled cotton type dimensionally similar to the OEM one.
I just went back to read that.
I figured the engine would re calibrate to use 93 octane and get the same numbers as the increase with the Ford package...which was my first question. So instead of rebuying what you already have...invest in the cat back and the improved air supply.
I really don't know the best choice...but I can say that the Roush CAI is not available...yet.
At least, I have better pipes.....

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
Mine gets installed this Wednesday (4/6/2020) at 1:30pm CDT... have an semi-informed opinion after that... :like:
Well, the deed is done. IMO, with only 9 miles on it...:
1. Sounds much better
2. Decidedly more get-up-and-go!
3. The shifting is MUCH better, tighter and quicker
4. Did not expect this unit:
20200507_135516.jpg

Just now reading the instructions... assume it has to be present for the tune to work. Not sure if it's just for display or the "EPROM" in the ECU gets updated so this can go way. If not, need to find a A-pillar cover to modify and mount it there.

Last edited:

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the deed is done. IMO, with only 9 miles on it...:
1. Sounds much better
2. Decidedly more get-up-and-go!
3. The shifting is MUCH better, tighter and quicker
4. Did not expect this unit:
20200507_135516.jpg

Just now reading the instructions... assume it has to be present for the tune to work. Not sure if it's just for display or the "EPROM" in the ECU gets updated so this can go way. If not, need to find a A-pillar cover to modify and mount it there.
Hey, Richard, thanks for sharing this. Glad to hear that you can tell the difference in a positive way post-tune. Mine is still on order. Please do let us know if we need to keep the unit present and visible in the truck, or if this is just for people who are interested in having all the information handy. (I, for one, would prefer to flash it and then put it away--don't like extra stuff cluttering up my driving area.)

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Hey, Richard, thanks for sharing this. Glad to hear that you can tell the difference in a positive way post-tune. Mine is still on order. Please do let us know if we need to keep the unit present and visible in the truck, or if this is just for people who are interested in having all the information handy. (I, for one, would prefer to flash it and then put it away--don't like extra stuff cluttering up my driving area.)
Ditto here regarding the performance screen.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
So does it have to stay plugged into the OBD port?

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
At this moment, I'm not sure, but guess yes. There is wire (with a RJ45 connector on it) that plugs into the back of the unit. The cable disappears down under the dash in the neighborhood of the ODB-II connector. Once I look further into it, I will let you know.

RangersLeadTheWay

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
I can’t speak specifically on if it’s required to maintain the tune, but I know that you should unplug after each use as it will drain your battery.

dguffin

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Corsair, 19 Ranger, 12 Boss, 08 Zuma
Occupation
Shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
If left plugged in, it never turns off, which is a disappointment.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
If left plugged in, it never turns off, which is a disappointment.
So, Power over Ethernet (PoE)?? Or just a convenient connector?? Which begs the question: is the ODB-II always hot?? Guess I better look with a volt meter.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
I just went back to read that.
I figured the engine would re calibrate to use 93 octane and get the same numbers as the increase with the Ford package...which was my first question. So instead of rebuying what you already have...invest in the cat back and the improved air supply.
I really don't know the best choice...but I can say that the Roush CAI is not available...yet.
At least, I have better pipes.....
Roush was closed due to COVID-19 and not shipping orders. i was only able to find one from Yates Performance on Amazon as Stage 3 was out of them as well. If you don't have a exhaust yet i wouldn't bother with the CAI until you get the exhaust as it doesn't really do much on a stock truck. haven't noticed much a difference. May just box it back up until i get an exhaust as the replacement filter for the Roush is $100

Chrisr24

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Roush was closed due to COVID-19 and not shipping orders. i was only able to find one from Yates Performance on Amazon as Stage 3 was out of them as well. If you don't have a exhaust yet i wouldn't bother with the CAI until you get the exhaust as it doesn't really do much on a stock truck. haven't noticed much a difference. May just box it back up until i get an exhaust as the replacement filter for the Roush is $100
Why would you replace the roush filter? They are cleanable and reusable.