Ford Performance Tune

Mdean4

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Looking to get the performance tune for my Ranger, does anyone know if a cold intake/new exhaust system is needed to go along with it? Getting more familiar with cars so looking for the best info, thanks!
Sponsored

StarLord

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX4
Nope. Exhaust and intake not required.

But more power = more air + fuel + boost. Exhaust and intake would help get more air in and more exhaust out.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Exhaust and intake provide more air flow, it's more for extra fluff like a more visceral driving experience for some in terms of sound, but it's purely up to you if you like that kind of sound or want to spend the money for a little extra power out of the car. Plenty of threads with people who bought different exhausts and intakes if you want to compare the reviews/sounds of those upgrades. The tune will make you smile a ton though. Only con is it might make your foot heavier :crackup: Oh and you will have to run 91 premium+ if you get the ford performance tune, other custom tunes allow for different octane ratings.

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
You will rarely find a "cold air intake" that is legitimately and significantly better than factory intakes these days. I did testing on my 2016 Mustang time trial car with 5 different "cold air intakes" and the best power to dollar ratio by a bloody longshot was the factory airbox + high flow filter (I used dryflow designs, I dislike K&N oiled filters, personally). The best performance came from Steeda's closed box design and the OEM GT350 intake (in my application, being high RPM road course with a very particularly done, stupidly expensive dyno- and road-tuned Coyote 5.0). You can only shove so much air into a certain size throttle body. The restriction is the filter, not usually the tube. But you shouldn't also be running toward open box cone filters because those will heat soak.

taildraggerpilot

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2022 MINI JCW Hardtop
Occupation
Boeing Driver
I have the performance tune, Borla exhaust, Mishimoto intercooler / piping kit and the aFe Magnum intake scoop. I run 93 octane always (unless in the high southwest - 90 tops there). The Ranger is a beast. This ecoboost engine with its forged internals can handle a lot of extra power. A whole lot.
Put it in sport mode, traction control off and 4H. Stomp on the skinny pedal on the right.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Looking to get the performance tune for my Ranger, does anyone know if a cold intake/new exhaust system is needed to go along with it?
A new cat-back exhaust is not needed and will not improve performance, but it will change the sound. A cold air intake is not needed either. A K&N air filter is provided with the FPP tune.

With the tune you will need to use 91-93 octane fuel.

It is well known that the engine in the Ranger performs much better than specs when used with high octane fuel and the stock tune. Probably making more than 300 hp. So consider that when deciding if you want to purchase a tune.

I have the Ford Performance Parts tune and I enjoy having it.

OP
OP

Mdean4

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the performance tune, Borla exhaust, Mishimoto intercooler / piping kit and the aFe Magnum intake scoop. I run 93 octane always (unless in the high southwest - 90 tops there). The Ranger is a beast. This ecoboost engine with its forged internals can handle a lot of extra power. A whole lot.
Put it in sport mode, traction control off and 4H. Stomp on the skinny pedal on the right.
Which model do you have for the Mishimoto intercooler? Do you know if it is any better than Roush products?

Reactions: Doc

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I went with a tune from 5startuning for a few reasons:

1. The ford performance tune is unchanged, regardless of your intake, downpipe, exhaust options, whereas the 5star tune takes these into account.

2. 5star has the option for the extended warranty that covers the tune and many common aftermarket mods that are known for causing issues with the factory warranty. I haven't read the fine print of the ford performance tune warranty, but I would be shocked if it covers the same mods. It's also only 3/36k.

That being said, I haven't received my email tunes yet, so I don't have them installed. They are supposed to be sent to me tomorrow.

I believe any tune will give you increased smiles per gallon. Enjoy.

OP
OP

Mdean4

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

1. The ford performance tune is unchanged, regardless of your intake, downpipe, exhaust options, whereas the 5star tune takes these into account.

2. 5star has the option for the extended warranty that covers the tune and many common aftermarket mods that are known for causing issues with the factory warranty. I haven't read the fine print of the ford performance tune warranty, but I would be shocked if it covers the same mods. It's also only 3/36k.

That being said, I haven't received my email tunes yet, so I don't have them installed. They are supposed to be sent to me tomorrow.

Awesome, thank you. I will check that one out!

OP
OP

Mdean4

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome, thank you. I will check that one out!

Which one did you go with? It looks like there are a few options

Mcssls

I’m going to order 5 star next week simply because I don’t think the Ford tuner will adjust tire size over what I’ve got and I don’t want to have to use a separate one just for tire size

OP
OP

Mdean4

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m going to order 5 star next week simply because I don’t think the Ford tuner will adjust tire size over what I’ve got and I don’t want to have to use a separate one just for tire size
Which tune are you looking to get from 5 star?

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
FPP programmer lets you input the revolutions per mile that corresponds with your tire’s size, regardless of your tire’s size.
Sponsored