Ford Performance tune

BRETT

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Any of y’all have the tune ? How much quicker is it ? Does it affect mpg ? Thing is already stupid fast (mine being supercab and 2wd) puts a smile on my face everytime I get on it . I don’t think any Tacoma owner can say that lol , plan on doing the Ford Performance exhaust and a Roush cold air intake with the afe or Mishimoto inter cooler pipes
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
OP
OP

BRETT

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I’m not seeing anyone really talking about it much.
they aren’t really answering my questions or even really talking about it much in both of those “threads” lol

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I just picked two. There are lots more.

Anyway I have the Ford tune, it works great, picked up about 1 mpg.

Last edited:

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
plan on doing the Ford Performance exhaust and a Roush cold air intake with the afe or Mishimoto inter cooler pipes
The exhaust is for the sound, if you like that kind of sound from a 2.3 liter engine that has the exhaust flow smoothed out by the turbo. The cold air intake might improve performance in certain circumstances when used with a tune, but install a K&N filter into the existing, Ford Designed, air intake, then use high octane fuel and see how well it performs. I don't know anything about the intercooler pipes, but I would think, for them to be effective, you would need to make many more expensive upgrades.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I don't know how to reply. But... I'll try.

Mileage? Pie in the sky! When you "tune" any vehicle, you do so to achieve more power. I don't know anyone who ever did so to increase MPG! Even if the tune could (or would) increase MPG, most owners wouldn't see the change for obvious reasons. Read into that, lead-footedness!

Previous to the tune, average MPG in my driving cycle was a bit over 15.5. Afterwards, closer to 14.5. After putting about 3,500 miles on the tune (now at about 5,000 miles total), the MPG in my driving cycle has improved to about 17. This is if I don't put my foot down, but rather driving respectfully. By the way, besides Ford's Performance tune, I have the Roush CAI, and Ford's marketed, Borla exhaust system.

In spite of published on-line data, at my ≈3,500 altitude, the 0 to 60 time dropped from just ≈7 to 7.4 seconds, to ≈5.7 to 5.9 seconds, with the above add-ons. Part of the timing variation (0 to 60), is obviously ambient weather conditions. That is, hot weather or poor fuel, equals slower times.

Ford's stock exhaust system has a restriction, and removing it does change the sound. Before I installed the Borla-made system, the exhaust note had a pulsing sound, which was almost a popping sound under full throttle. Yes! The Borla is louder than stock, and some might say too loud. I don't think so, but that is a personal opinion. To each his own.

Installing larger turbo piping, and larger intercoolers, increases the the volume of air contained within. Read this as extra lag (turbo spool-up time). Doing this, and expecting a better driving experience, is folly!

Ford does offer a larger turbo, and it does increase the power. But to reap the extra benefits, you need larger piping, and larger intercooler. And, a heck of a lot more turbo lag! If you're racing the your Ranger, great. But, if you're like most of us here, the Ranger fulfills the daily driver slot, and not the drag race slot! So pick your poison!

Cat-less down pipes. Oh boy! They do increase power slightly, but stopwatches don't lie. The difference in 0 to 60 times are questionable (ambient conditions?). But again, if you're racing, perhaps Driving on the street? Nada in my opinion!

With all of the current tunes, you can use lower octane fuel. It might cause an issues in some ambient conditions, but the fact remains, you shouldn't use less them 91 or 93, what ever is on sale in your area. So please! Don't complain about MPG if you have any tune!

I'll cover one more issue—tire wear. As I indicated above, my Ranger has just over 5,000 on the odometer. I have changed oil once, and rotated the tires (back to front). On the next oil change, I'll X them. On the oil change after that? I'll need new tires! so....

Daily driver? Drag Race city? Stoplight derby? Loud noises from the exhaust? Tire wear? Lousy MPG? Absolutely wonderful daily driver? Great family truck? Select you choice.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
FWIW, I have been driving turbo 4s as my daily driver's continuously since 1985. Everyone of them has been tuned, had some exhaust modifications and at least a drop in air filter. All of these vehicles have got at least the same mileage as stock and the bulk of the picked up 1 or 2 mpg with the tune.

I just came off of 6 years of ownership of Ecoboost Mustangs with essentially the same 2.3 turbo motor as the Ranger. The 17 Ecoboost had the FP tune and I am surprised that the FP tune for the Ranger does not give you similar power. The Mustang FP tune raises the peak HP from 310 to 340 and the peak torque from 320 to 390. And the big gains are from 5500 rpm to redline with very close to 100 HP at 6000 rpm. The Dyno curves I have seen of the Ranger with the FP tune aren't giving you the big gains in the upper room range.

I had always assumed the 270 HP rating of the Ranger was using 87 octane and the 310 rating of the Mustang was with 93 and that putting 93 in the Ranger would give you similar power. It is pretty well documented that the power of the Mustang on 87 is down in the 270 range.

Some of the things that have been proven to work or not when modifying an Ecoboost Mustang are below. These should carry over to the Ranger Ecoboost.

1. Cat back exhaust add no noticeable power until you have done a lot of other mods. You pick one for the sound.
2. Intake mods are the same, no noticeable power on mildly modified engines.
3. Catless downpipes add about 20 HP when tuned to take advantage. Low cell count chatted down pipes will give 10 to 15 HP when combined with a tune.
4. The concensus first mod on an Ecoboost Mustang should be a bigger intercooler. The stock intercooler heat soaks almost immediately. May not be as important with the Ranger since it has a significantly larger one to start with. Also, even with intercoolers that are almost the size of the radiator there is no noticeable increase in turbo lag. My 35+ years of driving turbo cars tells me the 2.3 Ecoboost engine for all practical purposes has no turbo lag.
5. The limit for power on the 2.3 Ecoboost is right at 400 WHP. Beyond that and it is a real danger of breaking the block. Guys building big HP 2.3 Ecoboost engines use the closed deck 2.0 Ecoboost block.
Sponsored