Ford Performance Tune - Update

bearrug

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4, 2023 ford Bronco Sport
Really considering the FPP tune as opposed to Livernois. Have you guys noticed an improvement with downshifts as well?
Yes downshifts and up shifts improved ,That was the main reason i got it for was the tranny improvement, and the added power was a plus.

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
Really considering the FPP tune as opposed to Livernois. Have you guys noticed an improvement with downshifts as well?
The FPP tune improves everything including downshifts. Iā€™ve heard the Livernois tune is amazing too and itā€™s cheaper and you can install it yourself (no warranty void to worry about because it doesnā€™t have one). Iā€™d imagine the Livernois tune takes it just a step further with pushing the limits (havenā€™t read any problems at all from it), but I wanted a warranty on my truck. I still have under 10,000 miles on my truck so it was a no brainer for me. I absolutely love the FPP tune and you can tow with it too. A lot of people love the Livernois tune as well. You really canā€™t go wrong with either

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I finally have my tune installed. Since my wife works for a dealer, she gets a discount. And since I wanted the warranty of the tune to match my remaining warranty of my Ranger, I had the dealer install it.

A little disappointed that the dealer registered my ProCal to the dealership, I will have to contact Ford Performance to see what I can do about that.

Since I am unable to download the latest tune, does someone know what the latest tune number is available for a 2019 Ranger Lariat FX-4?

I cannot wait until the learning is done to see how different it feels when driving.

Thanks

PierreD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
AV Tech
I finally have my tune installed. Since my wife works for a dealer, she gets a discount. And since I wanted the warranty of the tune to match my remaining warranty of my Ranger, I had the dealer install it.

A little disappointed that the dealer registered my ProCal to the dealership, I will have to contact Ford Performance to see what I can do about that.
I had the same issue. Argued with them to have the registration in my name but they refused saying a tech had to do it for "warranty purposes".
They also said that they would do the install for free though. They did. But when the update came around, they charged me over 100 bucks to do it because it was not the original install!!!!!!!
That pissed me off.

krane

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
Getting the tune and the fp exhaust done Friday at a dealer that specializes in fp and roush customization.

Any lessons learned or tips before I go into, beyond the afformentioned licensing issue?

OP
OP
Rp930

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Getting the tune and the fp exhaust done Friday at a dealer that specializes in fp and roush customization.

Any lessons learned or tips before I go into, beyond the afformentioned licensing issue?
Drive around normally for a little while to let the transmission settle in. Then you will be good to go.

Aaron77

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
I had the same issue. Argued with them to have the registration in my name but they refused saying a tech had to do it for "warranty purposes".
They also said that they would do the install for free though. They did. But when the update came around, they charged me over 100 bucks to do it because it was not the original install!!!!!!!
That pissed me off.
I'm going to have to check with my dealership. I'm not sure I'd want the tuner if I have to pay them just to run an update. Seems really weird

doctormario

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Software Engineer
I know very little about tuning but I decided that I would go ahead and buy the FPT for the Tremor I picked up last week. I bought the tune off of Mountune and would like to get it installed at a dealer to get the warranty. Here are a few questions I have:

1) I read through the installation instructs and the whole process seems very straightforward. Is it as simple as replacing the air filter, updating the ProCal and then plugging into the car?

2) How much should I expect the dealer to charge for installation? I was quoted $420 by a local Ford dealer which I thought was pretty high for what I assumed was a very easy installation.

Any information would be much appreciated!

Mathguy

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCab Lariat FX4 Oxford White
Occupation
Retired Math Teacher
I know very little about tuning but I decided that I would go ahead and buy the FPT for the Tremor I picked up last week. I bought the tune off of Mountune and would like to get it installed at a dealer to get the warranty. Here are a few questions I have:

1) I read through the installation instructs and the whole process seems very straightforward. Is it as simple as replacing the air filter, updating the ProCal and then plugging into the car?

2) How much should I expect the dealer to charge for installation? I was quoted $420 by a local Ford dealer which I thought was pretty high for what I assumed was a very easy installation.

I installed the FPP tune myself on Monday after realizing that it was totally a software install besides swapping out the air filter, and therefore, why would a certified mechanic be necessary? Seems like an acceptable risk to me. The directions are good and it went smoothly. I'm still waiting for everything to come together as I hope it will, but I'm not sure how many miles that takes. My Lariat is 3 weeks old; a month ago I had never heard of a "tune". I've also installed the Auto Stop/Start override switch and done a fuse box tap to run my cab fridge with constant 12 volts. YouTube videos can be remarkably helpful!

wetidlerjr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT, SCrew, FX4, Shadow Blk, Blk App Pkg
Occupation
Retired Railroad Construction Signalman
...2) How much should I expect the dealer to charge for installation? I was quoted $420 by a local Ford dealer which I thought was pretty high for what I assumed was a very easy installation.
I was quoted $112 for installation at my dealer.

doctormario

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Software Engineer
@Mathguy @wetidlerjr

Thanks for the info! I went ahead and followed the steps right up until I plug the ProCal back into my ranger and upload the performance tune (installation was very easy). Still calling around to see if a dealership will do the last step for me so I can get the warranty, but if they keep quoting me with super high labor costs I'm just going to do it myself.

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
@Mathguy @wetidlerjr

Thanks for the info! I went ahead and followed the steps right up until I plug the ProCal back into my ranger and upload the performance tune (installation was very easy). Still calling around to see if a dealership will do the last step for me so I can get the warranty, but if they keep quoting me with super high labor costs I'm just going to do it myself.
the labor I paid was $85.00, but that included mounting the thing (that I did not want).
Sponsored