First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT, SCrew, FX4, Shadow Blk, Blk App Pkg
Occupation
Retired Railroad Construction Signalman
My dealer installed the Ford Performance tune this morning. After just 15 miles all I can say is :like:.
Here's hoping for no tickets. :cool:
Sponsored

cjmdwyer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor lariat
Occupation
Auto damage estimator
If you plug your procal into obd port can you verify the tune is installed. I am still on my pre-tune tank of 89 octane so not sure if I am getting the full effect of the tune.

doctormario

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Software Engineer
If you plug your procal into obd port can you verify the tune is installed. I am still on my pre-tune tank of 89 octane so not sure if I am getting the full effect of the tune.
You can. Plug it back into your truck and go to Module Info, it'll be in there. I wanted to double check that the shop did the installation correctly.

GMTmin5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
My dealer just quoted 2.5hrs labor for install. Total quote for the parts + install was $1,300! How are you guys getting the dealer to do the install so quickly and inexpensively? Even if I buy the hardware from Levittown, the labor is still too hard to swallow.

wetidlerjr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My dealer just quoted 2.5hrs labor for install. Total quote for the parts + install was $1,300! How are you guys getting the dealer to do the install so quickly and inexpensively? Even if I buy the hardware from Levittown, the labor is still too hard to swallow.
I had to wait 2+ weeks to get the install as the Tech that installs them was "on vacation" and the $112 labor price was just what they quoted. I didn't get the dealer to do anything.
It was only around two hours from drop off to pickup on the install day.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
I would suggest to do most of the install yourself up to the point of flashing the updated tune to the truck, let the dealer do that, if you choose to have the dealer install, that way the voucher # and Account are registered to you and not the dealer and you can update the tuner in the future when updates are released.

wetidlerjr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would suggest to do most of the install yourself up to the point of flashing the updated tune to the truck, let the dealer do that, if you choose to have the dealer install, that way the voucher # and Account are registered to you and not the dealer and you can update the tuner in the future when updates are released.
Good advice. I registered the FP tune before having it installed and I talked to the Tech that installed it beforehand and gave him my info to download it (and, yes, I changed my password after picking up my Ranger).

Reactions: Doc

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Am I missing something but isn't this basic stuff here? I do not understand why a dealer would charge 2.5hrs or have a designated tech do them.

When I was at Benz, they would have the new car team drilling into rear decks of SL500's and such to install sat radios (2003 era when it was a retro fit and not built in) for the same amount of time. Inflation effects labor rate not time soooooo.

I am assuming most people only go through the dealer to keep the warranty? Otherwise they would do it themselves?

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
How does one flash their truck back after disconnecting and updating on the laptop. Do I just go to the truck and plug it back in and follow this?

Installing Performance Calibration into the vehicle ***NOTE*** ONCE CALIBRATION PROCESS HAS BEGUN, DO NOT PRESS ANY BUTTONS OR DISCONNECT TOOL UNTIL PROMPTED TO DO SO. ENSURE ALL ELECTRONIC ITEMS (RADIO, WINDOWS, DOORS, LIGHTS) ARE OFF AND ARE NOT OPERATED UNTIL CALIBRATION PROCESS IS COMPLETE

1. Connect ProCal 4 tool to vehicle OBDII port
2. Ensure vehicle is in “RUN” position (Key on, Engine Off) ***NOTE*** ENGINE MUST NOT BE STARTED/RUNNING UNTIL PROMPTED BY TOOL, OR CALIBRATION PROCESS IS COMPLETE
3. Select “PROGRAMMING” option from main menu
4. Select “Performance Calibration” Option on ProCal 4, and Drag/Click to select the desired calibration. ***NOTE*** DURING CALIBRATION PROCESS, THERE WILL BE VARIOUS WARNING CHIMES/ALARMS (Check Engine light, TPMS light, etc). THIS IS EXPECTED, AND PART OF THE PROCESS.
5. Follow ALL on-screen prompts, until “Clearing Codes, Finished, Key off for 3 seconds” is displayed, signaling the end of the procedure

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
How does one flash their truck back after disconnecting and updating on the laptop. Do I just go to the truck and plug it back in and follow this?

Installing Performance Calibration into the vehicle ***NOTE*** ONCE CALIBRATION PROCESS HAS BEGUN, DO NOT PRESS ANY BUTTONS OR DISCONNECT TOOL UNTIL PROMPTED TO DO SO. ENSURE ALL ELECTRONIC ITEMS (RADIO, WINDOWS, DOORS, LIGHTS) ARE OFF AND ARE NOT OPERATED UNTIL CALIBRATION PROCESS IS COMPLETE

1. Connect ProCal 4 tool to vehicle OBDII port
2. Ensure vehicle is in “RUN” position (Key on, Engine Off) ***NOTE*** ENGINE MUST NOT BE STARTED/RUNNING UNTIL PROMPTED BY TOOL, OR CALIBRATION PROCESS IS COMPLETE
3. Select “PROGRAMMING” option from main menu
4. Select “Performance Calibration” Option on ProCal 4, and Drag/Click to select the desired calibration. ***NOTE*** DURING CALIBRATION PROCESS, THERE WILL BE VARIOUS WARNING CHIMES/ALARMS (Check Engine light, TPMS light, etc). THIS IS EXPECTED, AND PART OF THE PROCESS.
5. Follow ALL on-screen prompts, until “Clearing Codes, Finished, Key off for 3 seconds” is displayed, signaling the end of the procedure

Just plug the tuner back into the ODB port. Go to the main screen and touch programing. One the next screen you should see the FPT and your stock tune. Here's what mine (Livernois) looks like but they're the same tuner box and should look similar.

IMG_3488.jpg

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Just plug the tuner back into the ODB port. Go to the main screen and touch programing. One the next screen you should see the FPT and your stock tune. Here's what mine (Livernois) looks like but they're the same tuner box and should look similar.

IMG_3488.jpg
Thank you very much Dave. Turns out I am part of the group without the new torque converter change. So I guess I updated just the procal software and not the tune, files stayed the same name. So I think I am good to just start the truck I think...

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thank you very much Dave. Turns out I am part of the group without the new torque converter change. So I guess I updated just the procal software and not the tune, files stayed the same name. So I think I am good to just start the truck I think...
If there were updates it should update the whole file and you should be gtg after re-flashing. It does take a couple tank fulls to let the tune "settle" in after re-flashing. You should be back to rocket status in no time. ? ?

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
If there were updates it should update the whole file and you should be gtg after re-flashing. It does take a couple tank fulls to let the tune "settle" in after re-flashing. You should be back to rocket status in no time. ? ?
Perfect, so no file change no re-flash? I think thats my case. Hahaha, I did read it does take some break in time but if the case is I have the same tune file then I just plug back into obd2 port and drive off no reflashing needed. Crossing my fingers this is the case, will report if rocket ship is gonna ka-boom ? like a new Space-X rocket testing or if I fly to the moon like a NASA built rocket. ?

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Update: no file changes, no reflash. 2020 lariat 4x4 no new torque converter, stayed on the kc file after restarting pro cal software and reconnecting device. Read a previous post saying certain 2020 will be on the kc file before it was hci. Truck is the same, feels great as usual. Truck did not ka-boom. Although, my gauges got reset so I had to add those back.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Are you using bootcamp or actually installing Windows onto your Mac? Im asking because I went to Costco to buy a crappy little pc just to download the tune lol. I really hope they make it Mac compatible in the future
I use Bootcamp to dual boot Windows 10, just holding the 'option' key at startup gives you the choice of Windows or MACOS. I prefer a full install of Windows when needed. I only use windows for my RV Tuner, Xmas computer show display, FFP tuner, and the Sync3 updater program. You don't even have to pay for Windows these days, just download from MS and install, it will ask a couple of times to register then stop, full function no issues.
Sponsored