First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Let's just see IF they stick to this. They supposedly came out a while back and said dealers would be held accountable for the high ADM's and we've all seen how nothing has been done about that one.

https://www.carsdirect.com/deals-articles/ford-order-name-match-policy-is-getting-more-strict

Next month (June), Ford will increase its name-match threshold to 75%, up from the current requirement of 70%. As a result, dealers will need to ensure that more verified orders are delivered to the customers they were ordered for. With the changes, dealers will have a lot less leeway in case the names don't match up on a car.

In addition, a provision allowing 120 days from the "order receipt date" and "dealer delivery date" will be totally eliminated, forcing every violation to count against dealers. An appeals process for dealers will also take into account the sale date as opposed to the order date, affecting 2022 Fords sold on or after June 1st.

Ford's changes are likely meant to reflect the reality that more customers are placing orders rather than buying a car or truck off the lot. Given that demand has far outstripped supply, stricter name-match rules could be a good thing for consumers. Last month, the company even stopped taking 2022 F-150 Lightning orders.

If dealers violate the policy, they risk severe penalties. The biggest change is a 1-month "total allocation forfeiture." There doesn't appear to be much room for error, with a dealer's 3rd violation resulting in "expulsion" from the company's Name Match and Integrity Policy as well as other imposed limitations.

80% Ford Name-Match Policy Coming
Whether or not Ford will really become an "order-only" car brand remains an open question. However, Ford's dealer announcement also gives us a peek at its future intent, stating that it has a "plan to increase to 80% after the launch of 23MY vehicles." This would mark a major move in the direction of an order-focused brand.

As we reported recently, Ford is planning to significantly reduce the complexity of stocked vehicle configurations. This may compel more car buyers to place an order. Once implemented, this could potentially limit the ability of a consumer to buy the car they want from dealer stock, already complicated by a chip shortage.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
What I don't like is it says that bad dealers lose allocations for a month. So doesn't this intern just screw over the renaming customers who have orders at that dealer?

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Wish Ford would sell directly to customers. Dealerships are middle men and anytime there's a middle man cost goes up.
That would be great and I'm guessing it may come to this in the future. There's way to many dealers now raking people over the coals with high ADM's and reneging on signed contracts for msrp.

I'd really like to see them let people who want to pick up their new vehicles from the paint do so. Especially now with all the crazy shipping delays it hurts everyone from Ford, the dealer and the customer when they're just sitting waiting to be shipped. The PDI part is easy to handle as they could just set up another area to add/check things. It's the paperwork and financing that's be hard to work out.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
What I don't like is it says that bad dealers lose allocations for a month. So doesn't this intern just screw over the renaming customers who have orders at that dealer?
Yep , it will screw the reservation holder who will be pushed further down the line .
The right thing for Ford to do now is just build the damn Bronco when parts are available for anyone with a reservation and ship it whether the dealership still has allocations or not . They can resume their snit show process once everyone from July 2020 has their Bronco .

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I think it applies to the dealer inventory order allocations, not customer orders. And I'm sure the increase is in response to dealers who have gotten their wrists slapped and are trying to game the system through fake customer orders to get around the penalty.

It's clear Ford is shifting towards a different dealer model that they have more control over given their requirement for dealers to either sell traditional Ford line or electric but not both without restrictions on the EV sales. I'd expect to see Ford not renewing dealer agreements with lots of dealers when they expire, or at least drastically changing the terms.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think it applies to the dealer inventory order allocations, not customer orders. And I'm sure the increase is in response to dealers who have gotten their wrists slapped and are trying to game the system through fake customer orders to get around the penalty.

It's clear Ford is shifting towards a different dealer model that they have more control over given their requirement for dealers to either sell traditional Ford line or electric but not both without restrictions on the EV sales. I'd expect to see Ford not renewing dealer agreements with lots of dealers when they expire, or at least drastically changing the terms.
Yeah but we've already seen that Ford doesn't practice what they preach from the other thread we're discussing. You're future FIL is a prime example. lol They're not going to punish their large volume dealers, it's never going to happen. You're correct they'll most likely weed out the smaller ones in rural markets like they did right after the '08 recession.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah but we've already seen that Ford doesn't practice what they preach from the other thread we're discussing. You're future FIL is a prime example. lol They're not going to punish their large volume dealers, it's never going to happen. You're correct they'll most likely weed out the smaller ones in rural markets like they did right after the '08 recession.
Yeah, he bought from a big dealership in the Chicago suburbs. Surprisingly they didn't stick him with a mark-up...at least not yet. We'll see how it goes when he goes to pick it up .

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yeah, he bought from a big dealership in the Chicago suburbs. Surprisingly they didn't stick him with a mark-up...at least not yet. We'll see how it goes when he goes to pick it up .
I'll be interested to hear how it goes when he picks it up. Hopefully they don't pull anything on him and he gets it. Lucky for him he found a dealer that had a lot of allocations and got it to his fast.

I have a lead on a dealer back east who I might switch my order with when they allow dealer transfers again. My buddy knows the owner and his wife has her (day 2 reservation) Bronco with them and it's supposed to be built next week. He told him he would do it for me at msrp so I need to call him and see what his allocations are like. If we're not price protected after '23 it'll cost me more to stay with Granger through '24 then get it at msrp next year.

LT Dangle

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FX4 (RIP), 21 Tremor, 20 Edge ST, Couple HD's
Occupation
Trophy Husband / "Sanitation Worker" / Army Vet
I used to work at a dealer for several years, I recently had a very similar conversation with their sales manager. He indicated that they had been led to believe this was going to be the new Ford model... they want to increase customer orders and lower generic dealer "stock". dealers will still get some vehicles to be available for test drives and short term purchases but its their goal to shorten build times, reduce "excess" vehicle production, and encourage factory orders.

I do agree though that the loss of allocation for dealers inventory would likely just pertain to vehicles ordered for dealer inventory. It "shouldnt" affect customer orders already placed, that hurts the MoCo as well as the dealer by souring customers on the brand as a whole...

But who knows...... Auto companies always seem to think they know best..

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Wish Ford would sell directly to customers. Dealerships are middle men and anytime there's a middle man cost goes up.
Isn't that illegal?

I used to work at a dealer for several years, I recently had a very similar conversation with their sales manager. He indicated that they had been led to believe this was going to be the new Ford model... they want to increase customer orders and lower generic dealer "stock". dealers will still get some vehicles to be available for test drives and short term purchases but its their goal to shorten build times, reduce "excess" vehicle production, and encourage factory orders.

I do agree though that the loss of allocation for dealers inventory would likely just pertain to vehicles ordered for dealer inventory. It "shouldnt" affect customer orders already placed, that hurts the MoCo as well as the dealer by souring customers on the brand as a whole...

But who knows...... Auto companies always seem to think they know best..

The ROW uses a different model for sales. The US is the only (if not, one of the only) markets that has dealer lots with tons of cars. Americans want their vehicle now, not in weeks. It would make sense to move to a 'per order' build strategy, as it would allow you to get the vehicle you want, just for you.

Dealers would have to adjust, but they make their real money on services anyways.

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
I am amazed at the level of bad behavior that Ford and other manufacturers accept from their dealers. I was so turned off by the several Ford dealers I dealt with when looking for a Tremor that I nearly gave up.

Selling above MSRP is one thing, but I had dealers not disclose this until we started talking financing. Two of the dealers wanted $5K over MSRP, and another $3500.

The worse experience I had was with a chain of dealers. They had one location near my house. I was working with a salesman, and he found a black Tremor at one of their other locations. He sent me all of the information by email, but then his sales manager told him that the truck was "not for sale."

A couple of weeks later, I saw the exact same vehicle (same VIN) at another one of their locations about an hour away. I made an appointment to see it the next morning. When I arrived, the salesperson I had the appointment with was busy with a walk-in customer, but he told me that they had just sold the Tremor that morning. Since he was not available, he suggested I talk to a different salesperson.

The other salesperson said that they had an FX4 Splash that I could try, so I took it for a test drive. During our test drive, I asked about how it compared to a Tremor, and the salesperson mentioned that they had not had a Tremor in months.

I checked again two weeks later, and they still showed the exact same Tremor in stock.

Let's talk X-Plan. I have X-Plan through work, and I have purchased a couple of Fords with X-Plan over the years. Ford is very clear on what vehicles they will allow X-Plan, but the dealers do not care. A couple of dealers agreed to take X-Plan on orders, others refused on either in-stock or orders, and one said that they would accept an X-Plan but would still have to add their $5K markup. Total BS.

And I still wonder what the real story is on my Tremor. It was ordered by one dealer in my area based upon the window sticker. Based upon the build date, it was built 3 months before it was registered to the first owner, who was the General Manager at a different local dealership. Allegedly, the General Manager drove it for 4 months before he traded it in on the Bronco he had ordered. When it came time to do the paperwork with the Finance Manager, there was a sticky note on the folder that said "OFF THE BOOKS! DO NOT RECORD!"

So my Tremor was ordered by one dealer, sat for 3 months somewhere before being registered, was driven by the GM of another dealer for 4 months, was traded in, and was sold "OFF THE BOOKS!" to me. ??‍♂

Rick V.

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Scab,63 Fairlane, 22 Scab XLT FX4 302a
Occupation
Fleet bodyman
Isn't that illegal?

The ROW uses a different model for sales. The US is the only (if not, one of the only) markets that has dealer lots with tons of cars. Americans want their vehicle now, not in weeks. It would make sense to move to a 'per order' build strategy, as it would allow you to get the vehicle you want, just for you.

Dealers would have to adjust, but they make their real money on services anyways.
I think Ford could get away with it and still be legal. Look at Tesla, no dealers and you order direct. My son in law has a model 3 and he told me it was easy as pie to order. I myself would think it would be great to order direct online and have an option to pick up directly from the factory or an option to ship.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I think Ford could get away with it and still be legal. Look at Tesla, no dealers and you order direct. My son in law has a model 3 and he told me it was easy as pie to order. I myself would think it would be great to order direct online and have an option to pick up directly from the factory or an option to ship.
I think it would be a good way to do it, but our system isn't setup that way. I believe Tesla still has dealers, though they don't call them dealers. This is one of the problems that Rivian is having. Link

You have to have a dealer's license in order to buy and sell vehicles (over a certain quantity, you're considered a dealer, even if you are just a person), at least in Colorado.

Reactions: Doc

Rick V.

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Scab,63 Fairlane, 22 Scab XLT FX4 302a
Occupation
Fleet bodyman
I think it would be a good way to do it, but our system isn't setup that way. I believe Tesla still has dealers, though they don't call them dealers. This is one of the problems that Rivian is having. Link

You have to have a dealer's license in order to buy and sell vehicles (over a certain quantity, you're considered a dealer, even if you are just a person), at least in Colorado.
Might be a shitshow for Ford but here is the poop on Tesla.
https://www.hotcars.com/here-is-why-tesla-has-no-dealerships/
Sponsored