Ford CEO Finally Confirms New "Agency Model"

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I wonder if they'll have "certified" places you can bring them to if/when they do this? It would only make sense seeing as they'd be getting rid of several dealers. It wouldn't make sense to fix one mess yet create another. :crazy:
If they do, then maybe we'll start seeing local garages again, which could stimulate local economies a bit. It'd be nice to see one of the major companies do something that actually has a meaningful impact on local economies again, instead of constantly screwing over SMEs/SMBs by outsourcing everything to some other large warehouse operation. Of course, I doubt that it will actually work out that way, but given that most people don't have the technical know-how or equipment to tinker with a modern vehicle, it's a possibility that they'd go to their local "Cooter" who has the training and tools to do it for them.
Sponsored

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
True no say in pricing but what about discount plans? Where are incentives? Only Ford sets price and that’s it?? Dealers are going to have no incentives to draw potential customers. Some still like kicking the tires
From what I gather the factory will now set the price and the dealer is only there for the transaction. It doesn't say anything about special pricing but I would hope that at least is there. As far as rebates and incentives go I would guess these will be applied (if available) right from the factory. Kind of like what Saturn (I think it was them) did. No haggling with dealers the price you see is what you pay. Personally I like it as it eliminates the BS everyone hates when you're at the dealership.

My sticker was $44,875 and I payed just over $38,000 plus tax and tittle. But I was there the better part of the day going around in circles with them. I'd love to just see a bottom line price and not have to deal with salesman ever again. Just show up at the dealer, inspect the vehicle and sign the papers.
So, will it be like buying a car from CarMax? The price you see is the price you pay. No haggling. If the sticker shows $44875, that's what you pay. No way to haggle it down to $38000.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
If they do, then maybe we'll start seeing local garages again, which could stimulate local economies a bit. It'd be nice to see one of the major companies do something that actually has a meaningful impact on local economies again, instead of constantly screwing over SMEs/SMBs by outsourcing everything to some other large warehouse operation. Of course, I doubt that it will actually work out that way, but given that most people don't have the technical know-how or equipment to tinker with a modern vehicle, it's a possibility that they'd go to their local "Cooter" who has the training and tools to do it for them.
Local garages can be just as bad at the "selling" as the dealers can be. It is difficult to find an honest mechanic who won't try and sell you stuff you don't need. Finding a mechanic who you can trust to tell you the truth isn't easy these days.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So, will it be like buying a car from CarMax? The price you see is the price you pay. No haggling. If the sticker shows $44875, that's what you pay. No way to haggle it down to $38000.
That's what it sounds like. As long as the price is reasonable I like this so much more. Sure I've never paid MSRP for any vehicle, motorcycle or snowmobile but we must face we're living in different times now like it or not.

I had a great dealer back east where many times I never went in. If they didn't have anything on the lot or were able to locate one, I'd call my salesman on the phone, place my order and wait for it to come in. If the system works like its "supposed" to this would alleviate all the dealers/salesman hassles. They also need to make sure there's something in place so that dealers can't just add on those crazy dealers packages for $3K to your order.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Local garages can be just as bad at the "selling" as the dealers can be. It is difficult to find an honest mechanic who won't try and sell you stuff you don't need. Finding a mechanic who you can trust to tell you the truth isn't easy these days.
True but when you find one they're so much better and helpful than dealers. I'm lucky here because the place I go (Brakes Plus) has a great manager who really goes out of his way to make things perfect. When they did my Eibach install he ran into a few problems and it took way longer than expected. I was expecting a bill for at least $500 (with alignment) and he only charged me $340.00. They all really go out of their way to make you happy which is very rare here. Customer service in AZ in in the ?.

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
True, but you can always find someone who'll manipulate any system to screw people over for their personal gain. Unfortunately, that's just human nature. Let's be honest, Jeff Bezos didn't start Amazon out of any sense of altruism, he started it to make himself a fortune, which he has, largely at the expense of "mom & pop" shops, despite Amazon's pretense that they're supporting that economy. Sure, some of those have prospered because of it, but many more haven't, and whether they did or not was never Jeff's concern, just a nice way to manipulate public perception so that he could pretend to be interested in the greater good rather than the size of his wallet.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If they do, then maybe we'll start seeing local garages again, which could stimulate local economies a bit. It'd be nice to see one of the major companies do something that actually has a meaningful impact on local economies again, instead of constantly screwing over SMEs/SMBs by outsourcing everything to some other large warehouse operation. Of course, I doubt that it will actually work out that way, but given that most people don't have the technical know-how or equipment to tinker with a modern vehicle,

it's a possibility that they'd go to their local "Cooter" who has the training and tools to do it for them.
Just as long as it's not this guy. :oops:

Monkey Mechanic.jpg

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
True but when you find one they're so much better and helpful than dealers. I'm lucky here because the place I go (Brakes Plus) has a great manager who really goes out of his way to make things perfect. When they did my Eibach install he ran into a few problems and it took way longer than expected. I was expecting a bill for at least $500 (with alignment) and he only charged me $340.00. They all really go out of their way to make you happy which is very rare here. Customer service in AZ in in the ?.
I second this. When my wife bent my running boards this summer while on a Starbucks run, I was expecting it to cost me a fortune to repair, making it the most expensive Starbucks run ever. A buddy of mine told me who to talk to at the local garage, and they ended up fixing the problem for less than what I've spent at Starbucks when making a group order; don't remember if it was less than that particular Starbucks run or not, but I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I completely agree - I also have a local guy who I trust here - my point was that having a "local option" isn't necessarily going to fix all the issues. There are good dealer service options - it is just difficult to find one - just like it is difficult to find a good local option for repair. That is all I was trying to say.

I don't begrudge someone making an honest living, but I do have a problem when someone takes advantage of the fact you are not an expert in their area and they sell you a bunch of crap you don't need, or they sell it to you at an outrageous markup.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I completely agree - I also have a local guy who I trust here - my point was that having a "local option" isn't necessarily going to fix all the issues. There are good dealer service options - it is just difficult to find one - just like it is difficult to find a good local option for repair. That is all I was trying to say.

I don't begrudge someone making an honest living, but I do have a problem when someone takes advantage of the fact you are not an expert in their area and they sell you a bunch of crap you don't need, or they sell it to you at an outrageous markup.
You're right it's not easy trying to find good service today anywhere. Unfortunately this happens and is happening more and more in every industry now. I gave up looking for someone to do some remodeling stuff I want to do here. The biggest project is I want to replace all the flooring and they either don't show up or their estimates are crazy high.

I had a company come by a few weeks ago and quoted me $44K for LVP flooring! When I questioned him about it he said they could do it for $32K and I said no way. Long story short they've called a few more times each time lowering the price and yesterday he was down to $13K. :facepalm: I hate it because having been in construction for 40 years and having friends in all fields back east this is what I (and most) have to deal with now.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hey Rob,

Blinker fluid is on sale at our local Ford dealer! Think I will stock up with a few bottles...

Best,
Phil

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I hope most dealers will close; we need more RV & boat storage and fireworks outlets.
aerial-1.png.webp.jpg

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hey Rob,

Blinker fluid is on sale at our local Ford dealer! Think I will stock up with a few bottles...

Best,
Phil
Glad I stocked up before the mad rush. :whew:

Blinker Fluid.jpg

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
wife bent my running boards this summer while on a Starbucks run
:surprised:
Gotta ask.... couldn't she just take her own vehicle?
(Making sure the Warden is not looking over my shoulder.)

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
:surprised:
Gotta ask.... couldn't she just take her own vehicle?
(Making sure the Warden is not looking over my shoulder.)
You're Busted! :oops: :surprised:

1678985988470.jpeg
Sponsored