Transmission trashed during flat towing.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Putting your foot on the brake is a necessary computer input to disable flat towing. If you do NOT put your foot on the brake, put into park, you can test as Phil suggests. I have done this test (thanks Phil).

A couple things to note:
The left dash menu is slow to respond if drivers door is open. Close the door and you will find the Neutral Tow setting in the left dash menu right where they say.

My brake controller requires 12vdc. My 2021 Ranger came with a 75min timeout on the ACC (or ON mode in push button start). This means my RVi Brake3 system is not live for 45min of a 2hr drive.
If your braking system requires 12vdc, look for Youtube videos on getting & installing the free FORScan software first.
There are a series of steps.
And read up on what OBD adapter you want to get; I chose one that auto senses the bus speeds without using a switch, but did not have bluetooth & needs a USB port on your laptop.
Once you have saved all your original settings (more Youtube videos) then find the Youtube videos that talk about making changes.
This timer is easily changed.
Sponsored

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Formerly owner of an Ingot FX4
Occupation
Retired
If your braking system requires 12vdc, look for Youtube videos on getting & installing the free FORScan software
There is some great info above. An alternative to the FORScan/timer method above, one can also run a dedicated 12v line from the battery and through the firewall for an interior 12v power point.

towpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariet F150
I am tempted to run a new supply. I would probably use an SAE connector that drops out under the console where I would plug an SAE to 12V cig adapter in (or convert my brake buddy to SAE).
This also allows me to use my 50w solar controller when I am not driving the Ranger for extended periods.

I also like to use banana plugs for the break away connector, so I can just use jumpers from where ever I mount the banana plugs in the interior to the brake buddy. (maybe on side of console)
I also run 12V charge line direct from my RV 7 pin without any special boxes. I never run the Toad and MH the same time.
and I already have the diodes for the rear tail light (left over form a Cmax that we were going to use (but never installed) to replace the Jeep liberty we been using as a toad)

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
There is some great info above. An alternative to the FORScan/timer method above, one can also run a dedicated 12v line from the battery and through the firewall for an interior 12v power point.
I almost ran a separate 12vdc from rv to RVi but after reading some previous comments about possible low battery causing Ranger to shift out of towed mode, i opted on 12vdc charge line to battery.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I almost ran a separate 12vdc from rv to RVi but after reading some previous comments about possible low battery causing Ranger to shift out of towed mode, i opted on 12vdc charge line to battery.
I am puzzled...Having push button start...when I am done putting in Neutral Tow, shifting into park to verify and then back to neutral, it says to turn the vehicle off. Without the truck modules energized, I do not think the tranfer case can "fall out" of neutral tow... Just my thoughts... Anyway...I use a supplementary braking system that uses very little power.

Last edited:

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ruby) 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
retired
I just read the owners manual, for vehicles after 11/23/20 and see the following.

to turn Neutral Tow mode on.
Make sure you properly secure your vehicle to the tow vehicle.
Put the ignition in the on position, but do not start the engine. If your vehicle has an ignition key, turn the key to the on position. If your vehicle has intelligent access, press the engine START/STOP button once without pressing the brake pedal.
Press and hold the brake pedal.
Rotate the four-wheel drive switch to 2H.
Shift the transmission to neutral (N).
Enable Neutral Tow by selecting Settings in the information display menu.
Then select Vehicle.

Then select Neutral Tow and follow the instructions on screen.
Note: If successfully completed, the information display shows NEUTRAL TOW LEAVE IN N or Neutral Tow Enabled Leave Transmission in Neutral. This indicates that your vehicle is safe to tow with all wheels on the ground.
Note: If you do not see the message in the display, you must switch the ignition off and perform the procedure again from the beginning.
Note: You may hear an audible noise as the transfer case shifts into its neutral position. This is normal.
Leave the transmission in neutral (N) and turn the ignition key as far as it can go towards the off position. It does not turn fully off when the transmission is in neutral (N). If your vehicle has an ignition key, you must leave the key in the ignition when towing. To lock and unlock your vehicle, use the keyless entry keypad or an extra set of keys. If your vehicle has intelligent access, press the engine START/STOP button once without pressing the brake pedal. You do not need to leave your keys in the vehicle. You can lock and unlock your vehicle as you normally do.
Release the brake pedal.

To verify you are in Neutral Tow mode:

You can check the four-wheel-down towing status at any time by opening the driver door or by switching the ignition to the accessory or on position and verifying the confirmation message appears in the cluster.

To exit four-wheel-down towing and return the transfer case to the 2H position:

With your vehicle still properly secured to the tow vehicle, switch the ignition to the on position but do not start the engine. If your vehicle has an ignition key, turn the key to the on position. If your vehicle has intelligent access, press the engine START/STOP button once without pressing the brake pedal.
Press and hold the brake pedal.
Shift the transmission out of neutral (N) and into park (P).
Observe the messages on the information display screen.
Note: If completed successfully, the instrument cluster displays 4X2, and Neutral Tow Disabled.
Note: If the indicator light and message do not display, you must perform the procedure again from the beginning.

Note: You may hear an audible noise as the transfer case shifts out of its neutral position. This is normal.

so it sounds to me the actual event that causes the transfer case to shift to 2H is having the key ON -AND- Pressing the brake, -AND- putting the transmission into PARK.

1) Will it shut off in ACC instead of ON?
2) Is the pressing brake a needed computer input or a lawyer statement so it don't roll?

Now Phil adds a step her does:
I check this by putting the transmission in park and rolling the Ranger to ensure T/C in neutral. I then put the trans back in neutral as the manual requires.

So as long as leave the key in that "all the way to off as far as it will go" position, it should not switch transfer case into 2H when I move transmission selector to park for this test. But if it will switch to 2H in this test of the key is on (or maybe even ACC?)
You should also hear the door chime that happens when you leave you lights on or key in ignition when exiting the vehicle. If you do not hear it, you did not turn off ignition all the way.

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I also found out that you need to make sure you have enough air in your tires when you tow.
When I bought the truck they had 40 pounds in the tires. I reduced it to 32 as per the door label.
Took it on a 200 mile tow trip and it felt very heavy, even though it's only 300 pounds more than my previous tow (jeep wrangler) I also only got 6.5 MPG with my Class C Motorhome. I usually get 7-8.

I am now on another trip and put back in the 40 pounds. WOW, like night and day. Now it feels just like my Jeep I previously pulled. I put in 45 just to see how that works on the way home (100 miles) Max on the tire is 51 so it should be fine as far as pressure goes. Not sure about wear though, will keep an eye on it.

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I am puzzled...Having push button start...when I am done putting in Neutral Tow, shifting into park to verify and then back to neutral, it says to turn the vehicle off. Without the truck modules energized, I do not think the transfer case can "fall out" of neutral tow... Just my thoughts... Anyway...I do not use a supplementary braking system that uses much power.
I'm with you. The ONLY time the supplemental braking system uses power is when you brake. The ignition is OFF if performed correctly (and I'm starting to think it was not) . Even the tail lights get their power from the tow vehicle not the towed.
When I had my Jeep Wrangler, I had a 12 V cooler plugged in for around 18 hours and it started right up, so I cannot see how the battery can run low when towing.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I have installed a RVi charger next to the battery powered by the 12v line from the RV in the 7-pin breakout socket I installed in the grill. This will charge at 10 amps so no worries about low battery. I also made a tow checklist (old Army Aviation guy and we had checklists for everything), laminated it and stuck it on the back of the visor. I included a copy just in case it will assist someone by using it or in making their own.

Attachments

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I'm not able to do it now, but why does someone try putting truck in tow mode then disconnect the battery cable for a few, then reattach it and see if truck stays in tow mode. All this 12 power issue may not be needed. ( MHO, I don't think it is)

Jmckinley

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C Max, 2019 Ranger XLT SuperCab, Kawasaki VX 300, Mazda Miata, Damon Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Apparently people are discovering their transmissions were delivered low on ATF by 1-2 quarts. I wonder if that has anything to do with the reported trans failures when flat towing?

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Formerly owner of an Ingot FX4
Occupation
Retired
Interesting. I hadn't heard about this. But, I just did a transmission service way ahead of the maintenance schedule. I suspect that flat towing is unusually hard on those systems and we do it a lot. So, I plan to schedule a trans service annually instead of at 150K as recommended.

Mike B

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Unfortunately you can add me to the list of trashed transmissions. What is even crazier is its now twice this summer. 5,000 miles on my 2021 Ranger. The first time, the Ranger would not shift into gear after a flat tow. They replaced it after advising they were able to confirm I was properly being placed it into flat tow mode. One month later, after a 2 hour flat tow, it was leaking trans fluid, and shifting bad.

Ford said the transmission is trashed, again?! They still have my truck for the last week and I have not heard back. The manager asked to watch me put it into tow mode, which I did, and all was correct.

Never has my truck had a dead or weak battery. I do not have a charge line, and the service manager said I should not need that. All trips have been 2-4 hours. I've towed it about 3,000 miles total now. Works perfectly until it doesn't.

I am very confident I have placed it into tow mode properly, as it simply won't work if the parameters are not met.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Maybe people should start putting their campers in tow mode and tow them with the Ranger.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently people are discovering their transmissions were delivered low on ATF by 1-2 quarts. I wonder if that has anything to do with the reported trans failures when flat towing?
No the disconnect is in the transfer case. The safest way to flat tow is to disconnect/remove both driveshafts. Fords system is like a recipe for disaster. :crazy:
Sponsored